Other Religions and Prayers

Do other religions besides Catholic and Protestant religions like Islam and Pagans get there Prayers answered? If so Catholics and Protestants why then do we call ourselves the ONE TRUE GOD?
God Bless you. Father Son Holy Spirit.

I can’t speak for anyone else, but I definitely feel that my relationship with the gods and my ancestors is reciprocated. In my religion, we dislike the term “prayer” except in specific circumstances, as it carries connotations that aren’t necessarily valid for our understanding of what occurs, but they have never failed to give me guidance and assistance, even if it was what I needed rather than what I wanted.

I don’t know about the One True God thing, as I’m not a Christian. I tend to interpret that as just a more emphatic way of expressing that there are no other gods available to you as Christians and that your god claims to be the supreme god, not necessarily that there aren’t other gods of some sort.

Only the One, true God, the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit will answer prayers. Anyone who is pagan must be converted right away to live truthfully and filled with grace. Otherwise, they will face the fires of hell after death.

The Lord knows their heart. If they are sincerely searching and worship and praise the Lord according to what they now know, He will lead them on the right path.

Do there prayers get answered though:)

That is up to the wisdom of the Lord. It depends on what they are asking for. If they are asking to grow in love for others and to become more virtuous that will definitely be answered.

We really do not know very much about how God interacts with pagans. What has been revealed to us is what we need to know on the subject, such as the absolute impossibility of salvation outside the Catholic Church (not forgetting all the usual clarifications concerning that idea, of course).

In the prayer, I think GOD looks at the person heart first regardless of his/her religion.

God answers all prayers, regardless of who offers them.

The answer may be "no,"and the answer when it comes may not be recognized as an answer to prayer, but the answer will come.

God sheds his grace where he will. Also in your original question you exclude Muslims as worshippers of the one true God. The Church teaches that Muslims (and Jews) both worship the one true God, albeit in a flawed manner.

There are no other Gods available to anyone, regardless of whether they are Christian or not. The idea of there been, ‘other gods available’ is a deceit and at odds ultimately with the essence of God. That said virtuous pagans may be saved, but that will be in spite of their faith and not due to it.

There are two events in the New Testiment where Jesus did answer the requests of pagans.

One at the city of Tyre on the Mediterranen coast when a woman asked him to cure her daughter. And because she asked in a humble way, he granted her request.

The other was a Centurian soldier who asked that his son be healed. And because of his faith, Jesus granted his request.

IMHO, it is the way the favor is asked for, and if the favor is a decent one. I believe because God is not only loving, but just. And if a person is good to others, God would reward them for their good acts in this world since they cannot be rewarded in the next until they are born of water and the Holy Spirit. So he would justly reward them as they have done to others.

The biggest danger of not addressing the true god is that it may be the devil who answers. His greatest weapon is deception for leading us in the wrong direction away from the true God.

“The Lord is my hope and my glory. The Lord is the song that I sing. So tender and loving a shepherd, so rooted in justice, a king.” (hymn)

The answer might depend on how we’re defining “prayer” here.

Usually the centurion is seen as asking for the healing of his servant but the term used can mean son as well. Since Christ personally commends him on his faith and says he has not found faith like it in Israel it might be contended whether the centurion was a pagan. Also the account in Luke tells us the centurion funded the building of a synagogue. Christ’s reply is interesting:-

When Jesus heard this, he was amazed and said to those following him, “Truly I tell you, I have not found anyone in Israel with such great faith. I say to you that many will come from the east and the west, and will take their places at the feast with Abraham, Isaac and Jacob in the kingdom of heaven. But the subjects of the kingdom will be thrown outside, into the darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.” Then Jesus said to the centurion, “Go! Let it be done just as you believed it would.” And his servant was healed at that very hour.

[quote=Gullveig] I can’t speak for anyone else, but I definitely feel that my relationship with the gods and my ancestors is reciprocated. In my religion, we dislike the term “prayer” except in specific circumstances, as it carries connotations that aren’t necessarily valid for our understanding of what occurs, but they have never failed to give me guidance and assistance, even if it was what I needed rather than what I wanted.

I don’t know about the One True God thing, as I’m not a Christian. I tend to interpret that as just a more emphatic way of expressing that there are no other gods available to you as Christians and that your god claims to be the supreme god, not necessarily that there aren’t other gods of some sort.
[/quote]

yes, the are other spiritual beings besides God that can effect our life.

Posted from Catholic.com App for Android

We cannot make that judgment. Only God knows the person’s heart and the circumstances of their life. The Catholic Church has never made a definitive statement that any particular person is in hell, not Hitler, not Stalin, not Nero; no one. That is completely God’s judgment.

Yes, the normal means for salvation is found in the Catholic Church. But God saves those whom he desires to save and is not subject to the normal means of salvation.

thanks for the thread–

but obviously there are other spiritual enties other than Yawah- who is the said God of Abraham, Issac, and Jacob-

or in the OT it would not be a prohibited

Richard Dawkins - “What if you’re wrong?” South Park

youtu.be/fPJQw-x-xho

and as they came into the promised land they would not be warned to worship as the people worshiped in that land did

youtu.be/PkVPRKnLg4k

Yes, there are other spiritual entities; those battling for our souls by turning us away from the one, true God; YHWH. It is good that you recognize this so that you might turn to the only God who saves you.

The Jews, having lived among the Egyptians for so long, became accustomed to the false gods that they worshipped, one of which was the calf which they made out of gold. But these are not real gods. The only other spiritual entities are angels, which can be both good and evil.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.