Other scripture from "God"

Is it possible that the Hindu and Muslim “bibles” along with the emerald tabtlets, and many other amazing writings were actually of another God (as they state)? And if you are to say that humans could create such intricate, interesting, and fulfilling texts for their people, whos to say that ours wasnt written by humans. Its obviously not out of the question that people can create scripture out of nowhere.

It may surprise you to know that Catholics believe that there is much truth in most religions. We appreciate those truths and consider them to be points of fellowship in building relationships and teaching the true Catholic (universal) faith.

When I read the Tao Te Ching of Lao Tzu, I am reminded of “the little way” lived and preached by Saint Therese of Lisieux. Both of them encouraged us to find the beauty of God in the small tasks we do and the ordinary things we see each day.

Lao Tzu (and most Asian wise men) tells of a seeker who came to the wise man and asked "Sir, what should I do to become enlightened? The wise man said “chop wood, carry water”.

In the approach to wisdom and happiness of both Lao Tzu and Saint Therese, there is no need to do heroic things, no need to be “special”, there is only to see everything the way God sees it - as “very good” (see Gen 1:31).

This is just one of many such examples, but it is my personal favorite. :slight_smile:

Paul

No, because there is only one God.

Ours was written by humans. The Church does not teach that the books of the bible dropped out of the sky.

Of course they were physically written. But they each claim to be the word of their certain God. Im simply implying that just as you believe that the other ancient scriptures of the world were written by humans with no godly intervention, Its very likely the Bible was written the same way.

As there could not be any other God but God - simply because existence is indivisible (either things exist, or they do not) - but there easily can be imitators of God (as both the saints and Satan are), I do not see why false gods cannot be like God and sound like God. Augustine of Hippo offered this as the explanation for what the pagan gods of his day were.

I mean, sheesh. Most atheists believe in compassion and humanism. So do we. But where we part is that Christ gives us our worth. From where comes the worth of a human in the secular mind?

Well, worth from a non believer comes from the fact that life is a very uncommon occurrence. Something that is rare is given great worth.

But that is beside that fact. My question isn’t getting answered and maybe its my fault…

If you believe that other religions great texts were thought of and written by mere humans (even though they clearly state godly intervention) Why is it so hard to believe that mere humans created your religion?

Just as an aside, TarkanAttila, Gerard Manley Hopkins has always been my favorite poet. My Sophomore high school English teacher was a Jesuit priest (I went to a Jesuit prep school) and introduced us to GMH, and showed us that his poems only rhyme (and indeed make sense) when recited with the proper brogue. He did a very good brogue and clearly enjoyed doing it. :slight_smile:

In your sig, the words “move” and “love” only rhyme in the brogue.

My favorite poem is GMH’s “Spring and Fall, to a Young Child”. Recite it with the brogue and it is an entirely different poem.

Anyway, glad to meet another fan.

And now back to our regularly scheduled program…

Paul

Well, I don’t doubt the possibility of something appearing to the authors of other religious books and saying, “I’m god. Hey, fellow, write this down.” (Okay, pretty sure that’s not how it happened for anything except perhaps the Book of Mormon. But let’s not go there.) So I suppose I would attribute other religion’s texts to one of a few things:

1. Demons impersonating God.
  2. Satan himself impersonating God.
  3. People trying to understand God and having a really bad go at it, perhaps because of one of the above.
  4. People sitting down and thinking that writing a holy text would be a fun weekend activity.

In all honesty, #4 seems far and away least likely. I don’t doubt that many people of other faiths have genuine experiences that cannot be explained by science, and can rightfully be called “religious experiences.” That doesn’t mean I think they’re right.

The full truth is revealed in Scripture/The Church. This doesn’t mean God had no influence in other cultures or other peoples. It doesn’t mean inspiration wasn’t given these people. It doesn’t mean that there souls were not specifically created to seek out God.

Look at the Wise Men from the story of the Nativity, or the parable of The Good Samaritan, or the story of Jonah sent to warn an alien people of God’s impending wrath.

We don’t have to believe truths about God were not present in other religions, rather the full Truth of God is revealed in Jesus Christ.

I don’t think the church teaches that.

We believe that Gods law is written in the conscience of every human being. As such we see his truths present around the globe.

Many if these other religions hold pieces of truth. Maybe God inspired that, but in Christianity we believe God himself came and taught us directly.

Remove that faith element and maybe it is like the rest, but there is lots of evidence that Jesus was who he said he was.

In my observation, such things are not found in other religions. Christianity is fundamentally different and unique in a lot of ways.

II. Ways of Coming to Know God

31 Created in God’s image and called to know and love him, the person who seeks God discovers certain ways of coming to know him. These are also called proofs for the existence of God, not in the sense of proofs in the natural sciences, but rather in the sense of “converging and convincing arguments,” which allow us to attain certainty about the truth.
These “ways” of approaching God from creation have a twofold point of departure: the physical world and the human person.
32 The world: starting from movement, becoming, contingency, and the world’s order and beauty, one can come to a knowledge of God as the origin and the end of the universe. (54, 337)
As St. Paul says of the Gentiles: For what can be known about God is plain to them, because God has shown it to them. Ever since the creation of the world his invisible nature, namely, his eternal power and deity, has been clearly perceived in the things that have been made.7
And St. Augustine issues this challenge: Question the beauty of the earth, question the beauty of the sea, question the beauty of the air distending and diffusing itself, question the beauty of the sky… question all these realities. All respond: “See, we are beautiful.” Their beauty is a profession [confessio]. These beauties are subject to change. Who made them if not the Beautiful One [Pulcher] who is not subject to change?8
33 The human person: With his openness to truth and beauty, his sense of moral goodness, his freedom and the voice of his conscience, with his longings for the infinite and for happiness, man questions himself about God’s existence. In all this he discerns signs of his spiritual soul. The soul, the “seed of eternity we bear in ourselves, irreducible to the merely material,”9 can have its origin only in God. (2500, 1730, 1776, 1703, 366)
34 The world, and man, attest that they contain within themselves neither their first principle nor their final end, but rather that they participate in Being itself, which alone is without origin or end. Thus, in different ways, man can come to know that there exists a reality which is the first cause and final end of all things, a reality “that everyone calls ‘God.’”10 (199)
35 Man’s faculties make him capable of coming to a knowledge of the existence of a personal God. But for man to be able to enter into real intimacy with him, God willed both to reveal himself to man and to give him the grace of being able to welcome this revelation in faith. The proofs of God’s existence, however, can predispose one to faith and help one to see that faith is not opposed to reason. (50, 159)

-Catechism of the Catholic Church

So humans have less value than they did 1000 years ago? Ah. That seems to explain why euthanasia seems so acceptable to many moderns. “They’d better die, and do it quickly to decrease the surplus population.”

So when does a human life become worthless? When here are men scattered from here to the end of the universe, covering every planet?

And furthermore, where did you get this definition? Did you come up with it? Why should I care about your definition? There are hundreds of others with just as much weight as yours. Not to denigrate you, but that’s the truth. And even if everyone in the world should agree with your for even a minute it can and will change eventually. Look at Christianity if you don’t believe me. Used to be the majority rule. Now, on its way out.

But that is beside that fact. My question isn’t getting answered and maybe its my fault…

Yes, because you assume something we do not. The Catholic Church doesn’t declare, nor honestly care, how other books were written. She only knows that the Tradition given by Jesus to His Apostles is the definitive word of God. Insofar as other religions share in Catholic Tradition, they also share in the truth of God.

Spot on. :thumbsup:

The Christain Bible was written by humans-what we have are copies of copies with surely some “editorials” inserted-inserted by humans

The issue becomes of were the books of the Bible and other texts “Divinely inspired”- whatever that means-

the Hindus have their Sacred writings as do the Muslims-the sayings of the Buddha are written down -of course all we have are copies of copies

does Divinely ispired mean free from error?-I have often thought of that issue - presumably the Divine is free from error -so the Books of the Christain Bible should be free of error even though they often contradict themselves -

details -details

The Bible was written by human beings. For example, the “Gospel of Matthew” was written by Matthew (hence the title).

"I don’t think the church teaches that.

We believe that Gods law is written in the conscience of every human being. As such we see his truths present around the globe"

except humans who are schizophrenic or have personality disorders or of different cultures than ourselves or those who practice polygamy -or are fundamental MUslims who feel it is OK to kill nonbelievers - or for gay people where the law somehow got improperly written or the early homo sapiens who killed and ate each other or etc etc

not so

They don’t claim to be from “another God.” There is no other God, and Muslims recognize this explicitly. Christians and Muslims worship the same God–all monotheists do.

Hindus are sort-of monotheists too. That is, most folks who call themselves Hindus recognize one divine Reality from which all things proceed. That is what Christians mean by the one true God. Hindus make things complicated by worshiping a host of “gods” as manifestations of the one God.

Also, the Hindu concept of inspired Scripture is a bit different. Believe it or not, but there were schools of Hindu philosophy that were basically atheistic but also believed in the inspiration of the Vedas. That is to say, the seers who wrote the Vedas were thought to have had visions of reality–it wasn’t really thought of as a personal being speaking to them, as we and the Muslims tend to think about it.

At any rate, I would never argue that there’s some rational proof that the Bible and only the Bible must have been inspired by God. I believe as part of my faith that the Bible is inspired, and I think there are good rational reasons for accepting the Bible’s inspiration. Logically, that creates problems with the concept that other books contradicting the Bible (at least in part) are also inspired. But as far as I’m concerned that whole question is “above my pay grade” and I’m content to be an “agnostic” about it.

Edwin

Hello Lonewolf.

There is more to Christianity than a collection of books we call the Bible. Other non-Christian traditions of the divine are also more than the texts they revere.

Perhaps a good question to ask on a Catholic forum is ‘why are you Catholic’.

I don’t think you will get many replies which say’ because of a text I am told to value more than other texts’.

I think God inspired the world’s great religious Founders. I don’t consider those writings as being from “another God”, as the Source of Reality is One.

I share the same sentiment, to some degree. Texts like the Bhagavad Gita, the New Testament and the Metamorphoses, for example, are brilliant. There’s a code of laws called the Code of Hammurabi that mentions the “eye for an eye” teaching and it dates back to 1772BC. I believe that every age and every nation up until prophet Muhammad had their own revelation, or ‘book’ if you want to call it that.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.