Others do

why do you think that non catholic religion always destroy the image of catholics. I hpe that if they don’t want to believe in Catholic teaching then better preach the gospel on their own but not destroying the catholic Church.
It is really sad that even those catholics that done very good things like Mother Theresa are being used by these people.

jesus-is-lord.com/mothther.htm <—mother theresa
jesus-is-lord.com/

[quote=viktor aleksndr]why do you think that non catholic religion always destroy the image of catholics. I hpe that if they don’t want to believe in Catholic teaching then better preach the gospel on their own but not destroying the catholic Church.
It is really sad that even those catholics that done very good things like Mother Theresa are being used by these people.

jesus-is-lord.com/mothther.htm <—mother theresa
jesus-is-lord.com/
[/quote]

Since you chose to use the word “always”. I’ll tell you, Ive been a part of numerous non catholic churches and not a single one of them ever gave a second of time to adress the Catholic church, put it down, teach against it etc. They were too busy doing their own thing, and teaching their faith.

I know that there are groups and churches out there that are rabidly anti-Catholic, but most Protestant churches don’t have a lot of interest in you. Just like I am appalled by the venom and nonsense I see Protestants accused of (blanket words again) on this site. I was raised Catholic, and while we were taught they were in error, we didn’t waste much time or energy over the kinds of paranoid assumptions of attack that I see here.

Most people go to church to be fed in their own faith, and take part in their own community, not to spew venom at others. There are exceptions to be sure, but for most, the reformation is over.

cheddar

I’m a Catholic, but I often go to my girlfriend’s Presbyterian Church. At least I did until one of the Elder’s wives told my girlfriend that I’m not a Christian and she should break up with me. Thankfully, my girlfriend didn’t take her advice. Anyways, I just wanted to say that this church constantly compares her doctrines to that of the Catholic Church, and they even get the doctrines of the Catholic Church incorrect. It is a stark contrast when I go to my Catholic Church and in 24 years I have never even heard them mention another church…

There are at least two main reasons some some non-Catholic churches attack the Catholic Church:

1. Because they get most of their membership from Catholics whom they have managed to draw away from the Church. Most of these are lax Catholics or ones who had little or no real understanding of Church teaching–the hows and whys–nor of Church history. It’s very important that our people learn these things not only so they can fend off proselytizers, but also so they can grow in their faith as knowledgeable Christians.

2. Because they must have an excuse for their own existence apart from the Catholic Church. It’s sad but true that there are sects that make it their mission to attack the Catholic Church. Most mainline churches are innocent of this, but there definitely are those that thrive off of portraying the Church as the “Whore of Babylon” and other such nonsense. We just saw an example of that with a post and run anti-Catholic who cruised onto the CAF to tell us Catholic that our Church met all the requirements of being the WoB. Of course, he never stayed to read our answers because he didn’t want to. There are none so blind as those who will not see.

im sorry i think i forgot to make the word **"some’’. **
I just pray that some of these anti catholics will understand the bible more. That they read between the lines and not just look for verses that will attack the catholic church. And they may know that knowing the bible alone can’t save them but living the teachings of God.

Let’s just pray that every people who believe in the Father, Son and the Holy Spirit will be united in proclaiming the Good news to mankind and not attacking these servants of GOD.

If they are truly servants of God then so be it… They must be servant of God and not servant of their own belief.

I am not about to defend the wrtiter of those articles because I think he is very misguided about what Catholics believe and just reading his words, I can hear the hatred for us in his heart. Mother Theresa was a wonderful servant of God and the world would be a beautiful place if we all devoted a small fraction of the time she spent trying to allieviate the sufferings of others. I wish to take nothing away from Mother Theresa, and I am sure is in heaven with our Lord.

Having said that, I am a bit bothered by some of the statements attributed to her. She was asked if people who pray to Hindu gods are lost? She said (to the effect) that no, they were not lost - they pray to their gods and they will get to heaven just as her God will take her to heaven. She said they believe - and that’s what is important - not that they believe in Jesus.

That is not what the Bible teaches - nor our Church I hope. It is ONLY through Jesus that we are saved - NOT Hindu gods - which are false god’s - made up by Satan. Now I know I’m going to get responses left & right reminding me that “through no fault of their own… they were never given the opportunity to believe…etc.” but that is a loophole I think we cling to so we don’t have to tell others the truth - that without Jesus there is - more likely than not - NO salvation. When Mother Theresa spoke, people listened - I wish she would not have said those things. Because when we claim that it doesn’t matter if you are praying to Jesus or some fake god - that all paths lead to heaven - it’s no wonder that other Christians think we’re nuts.

I think you might want to go back and re-read your Catechism on this subject. The church makes no such claim.

If people sincerely follow the law that’s in their heart put there by God Himself and seek Him as best they can and also seek to do His will to the best of their ability, then there is a possiblity that they can be saved. Certainly, the normative way of salvation is through Jesus Christ but if Hindus or anyone else don’t have the means to know enough to even question, then the best they can do is follow what they, in hearts, know to be right.
No one but God knows the state of anyone’s heart or soul and no one ahould be making statements like this.

[quote=DianJo]I think you might want to go back and re-read your Catechism on this subject. The church makes no such claim.

If people sincerely follow the law that’s in their heart put there by God Himself and seek Him as best they can and also seek to do His will to the best of their ability, then there is a possiblity that they can be saved. Certainly, the normative way of salvation is through Jesus Christ but if Hindus or anyone else don’t have the means to know enough to even question, then the best they can do is follow what they, in hearts, know to be right.
No one but God knows the state of anyone’s heart or soul and no one ahould be making statements like this.
[/quote]

Jesus sure had alot to say about those who rejected Him:

“I am the way and the truth and the light - no one comes to the Father but through Me.”

“He who is not with Me is against Me.”

“I tell you the truth, whoever hears my words and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be condemned; he has crossed over from death to life.”

And His early followers certainly pulled no punches:
Salvation is found in NO ONE ELSE, for there is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved.”

He who has the Son has Life; he who **does not have the Son of God does not have life.” **

Those aren’t MY words - those are God’s. I think I have every right to repeat them. I think I MUST repeat them so those who don’t know Jesus - through no fault of their own or otherwise - might come to know Him.

It is true - that only God knows the state of someone’s soul at death, however, I think it does those who are lost a terrible disservice to even suggest that it makes no difference if they pray to Jesus or a false Hindu god. It’s not true - it DOES matter - Jesus Himself said so.

we’ll who will reject what Jesus taught.

The Catholic taught that those people even Hindus can be saved IF THEY ARE NOT AWARE OF GOD OR THEY ARE IGNORANT OF THE BIBLE but they should have lived according to the natural law or done good things to others.

[quote=viktor aleksndr]we’ll who will reject what Jesus taught.

The Catholic taught that those people even Hindus can be saved IF THEY ARE NOT AWARE OF GOD OR THEY ARE IGNORANT OF THE BIBLE but they should have lived according to the natural law or done good things to others.
[/quote]

Yes, if they are not aware… but I was refering to the people that Mother Theresa was caring for. In the article she is quoted as saying that as she’s caring for those in the final stages of their lives, she encourages them to pray to their Hindu gods. What good is that? Wouldn’t it make MUCH more sense to tell them about the saving grace & forgivness found only in Jesus Christ?

Perhaps the article misquoted her? Maybe she was constantly trying to tell those she cared for about Jesus - I certainly hope so.

It certainly seems that Catholics hide behind the whole “through no fault of their own” to avoid having to convert anyone. I don’t think God wants us to hope for the best for these poor lost people… otherwise He wouldn’t have told us to “go out and make disciples…”

Otherwise you are correct - it is through no fault of THEIR own…
but rather, it is OUR fault - His followers - because we kept our mouth shut and let them go on thinking that a fake god was just as good as Jesus.

[quote=viktor aleksndr]why do you think that non catholic religion always destroy the image of catholics. I hpe that if they don’t want to believe in Catholic teaching then better preach the gospel on their own but not destroying the catholic Church.

[/quote]

Not to sound harsh, it is very good for business plain and simple. I have really never heard a priest say anything bad about other faiths, Someone mentioned that above. I have heard it from individual Catholics, not as much as other faiths. I cant repeat what I have heard other Christians say about the Catholic faith, the Jesus is lord site would be extremely mild. Vile filthy comments about many other faiths, then broad brush 99 % of humanity to hell, and be glad about it.

I am beginning to see a type of backlash on Catholic boards towards some protestant groups, probably sick of all the insults. I must admit there is something Admirable about not returning a railing accusation. I have seen this is many religious, especially nun and cloistered brothers. I wont go into the whole story, but I was talking to a brother some years ago. We got on the subject of the Eucharist etc, I was helping him carry something back to the room and he said “I know when they hold that host up, its a different Jesus, then we have.” It was the tone, there was a time this brother had a gental soul, just became a Christian, the wided eyed awe of God’s love. I saw that fading. I said even if you dont believe in the Eucharist, the Jesus the Catholics worship is the same Jesus, not an exact quote.

I mean its basic if our Jesus is different then the Catholic Jesus, we dont have the historic Jesus, we may view Christ different, but it still is the same Jesus of history. You know birth death reserrection etc. The comment was lost, and even more sad so was the simple joy that use to be there for this person. I have never ever understood why organizations feel the need to beat that out of peoples soul.

Just a PS I will not really be posting much anymore, hope to read but not posting. God bless

[quote=carol marie]Yes, if they are not aware… but I was refering to the people that Mother Theresa was caring for. In the article she is quoted as saying that as she’s caring for those in the final stages of their lives, she encourages them to pray to their Hindu gods. What good is that? Wouldn’t it make MUCH more sense to tell them about the saving grace & forgivness found only in Jesus Christ?

Perhaps the article misquoted her? Maybe she was constantly trying to tell those she cared for about Jesus - I certainly hope so.

It certainly seems that Catholics hide behind the whole “through no fault of their own” to avoid having to convert anyone. I don’t think God wants us to hope for the best for these poor lost people… otherwise He wouldn’t have told us to “go out and make disciples…”

Otherwise you are correct - it is through no fault of THEIR own…
but rather, it is OUR fault - His followers - because we kept our mouth shut and let them go on thinking that a fake god was just as good as Jesus.
[/quote]

Yes i guess you’re right they just misqouted her. Some anti catholics really qouting some phrases and it can really mean different to the whole statement.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.