Ouija Boards For Christmas - Trending Gift Search on Google

Read this article here on how the search for Ouija Boards is trending up on google. It’s especially a ‘hot’ search in Chicago.

PnP

Ugh. Of all the things to give someone for Christmas… :confused:

Among the sins against the 1st Commandment are:
Involvement in the occult including seances, ouija board, worship of satan, masonry, Communism, wicca, wizardry. Engaging in superstitious practices including fortune tellers, horoscopes.

Christmas in the mainstream US is not a religious holiday. People looking for gifts are often just looking for gifts – not looking for a way to commemorate the birth of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

So we should PRAY for all those looking for gifts, that through the intercession of Our Lady, and the guidance of their guardian angels, through the direction of the Holy Spirit, they may be inspired to search for the Truth during this holiday season.

Prayer and sacrifice, people! Prayer. And. Sacrifice.

Gertie

I take a skeptical view of Ouija boards, especially since they were designed and marketed as a toy in the first place and since the users control the pointer themselves.

Having said that, anything can be idolatry even if it's not real because of the faith people place in them, and any time you place your faith anywhere but in God, you're shedding the armor of the Holy Spirit.  The current American obsession with all forms of media can be idolatry as well, which says more than one thing about us as a culture!.  As the article says:  "The top trending gift searches in Chicago include Ouija boards — up 600 percent from last year, thanks to the “Ouija” movie — "

St. Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle. Be our defense against the wickedness and snares of the devil. May God rebuke him we humbly pray, and do thou, o prince of the heavenly host, by the power of God thrust into Hell Satan and all the evil spirits who roam the world seeking the ruin of souls! In Jesus’ name we pray.

One thing is for certain, the RCC has never been skeptical about Ouija boards. In fact, they are quite adamant in pointing out the dangers of using them.

staycatholic.com/ouija_boards.htm
catholic.com/quickquestions/are-ouija-boards-harmless
wdtprs.com/blog/2010/02/ouija-boards-are-not-toys/
womenofgrace.com/blog/?p=969
catholiceducation.org/en/culture/catholic-contributions/exorcisms-on-the-rise.html

Peace, Mark

St. Paul says in Corinthians that behind the idols that the pagans worshiped were in fact demons. 1 Cor 10 below.

What do I imply then? That food offered to idols is anything, or that an idol is anything? 20 No, I imply that what pagans sacrifice they offer to demons and not to God. I do not want you to be partners with demons.

Substitute ouija board for idol and one can see the parallel.

Having said that, when I was a boy, perhaps around 11 or 12, a neighbor brought out a ouija board and we played with it. Scared me for sure. There is no question in my mind that I was not moving the game piece with my hands. No psychoanalysis needed. I’ve never played with one since.

When one plays with a ouija board, one is like the pagan Corinthians, partnering with demons by not recognizing and giving the honor due to the one Lord.

PnP

Those are always popular gifts and nothing to be messed with. :twocents:

Milton Bradley did not invent the ouija board. The design was taken from what mediums have been using for centuries for divination, for contacting the spirits to find out the future. It wasn’t a toy before MB turned it into one.

The users do not control the pointer. I speak from years of experience. The spirits move the pointer. I used a home-made board with an inverted glass as a pointer. All the user does is rest their finger lightly on it. If a person pushed the glass, it fell over. I used to demonstrate this before beginning the session. I would invite the other participants to push the glass and see for themselves.

After holding séances for years (along with telling fortunes via palmistry and numerology), I contacted a spirit much more powerful than what is usually contacted. Previously a spirit would only work for 2 or 3 minutes before tiring. This one worked the board for 4 hours with no loss of strength. I was the one who stopped. Afterwards, strange things started happening to me. It took me years, but when I finally talked to my MIL (a staunch Catholic) about the things I had been experiencing, she took me to see a priest in London, the one authorized to do exorcisms in the UK.

He determined that I was demon-oppressed and performed the appropriate exorcism on me. Thanks be to God!
(my first step on the road to becoming Catholic)

Do not be skeptical.

Spirits exist and can be contacted via a ouija board and other means.

All the spirits so contacted are demons.

They are never the spirits of loved ones who have passed on, although they may masquerade as such.

Being demons, they HATE you.

They have one goal - for you to join them in hell.

Those who promote it as a Christmas gift make a mockery of our Saviour and imperil the souls of the innocent who have no idea that it is not a toy or a game.

Lord have mercy!!!

Doesn’t it seem the least bit suspicious that the spirits never move the pointer until your hand rests on it? If they really could move things, they would do so even before you touched them. I’m not saying it is impossible - just that it doesn’t happen all the time.

The sin is in calling upon spirits in the first place, especially if done so with sincerity, even if the board is totally powerless.

Its cardboard and plastic. Pretty sure there is one in my attic somewhere.

Believing in Ouija Boards is a sin against the 1st Commandment.

It’s not what it’s made out of that matters, it’s what you do with it.

Plastic, mass-produced rosaries are no less efficacious the finest, hand-made ones.

Sure, but rosaries are not magical. Any efficacy they have comes from the intent of the person praying, the impact of the prayer on that person, and the Divine. With Ouija boards, those elements do not exist.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I prefer praying to saints!!!

Which elements? Obviously you could both play at spiritism or engage in it in earnest with any prop, or without a prop at all. The Ouija board is just a particularly convenient one by design. If you use a Ouija board for something other than what it’s made for, such as a place-mat or to prop a table leg, then yes it is just a piece of cardboard.

I wonder though is a Ouija board worse than say astrological horoscopes, which I see everywhere (i.e. on public transportation televisions, in the newspaper, etc.)? These don’t seem to offend anyone, even though they are just as forbidden by Christianity.

The three elements I mentioned. None are present as Ouija boards are usually used.

I’m not clear what you are saying the three are. 1) Intent, 2) Impact (?), 3) the Divine (?). Either way, my rosary example isn’t a perfect example, because spiritism is not prayer, right? I’m not too familiar with the theology of fallen angels, but I’ve listened to a few lectures on angels (Kreeft has a particularly good one) my understanding is that fallen angels can interact with human persons without our invitation. Therefore playing at spiritism isn’t necessary for manifestation/infestation, it’s just a convenient opportunity.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.