Our Catholic family

Do you consider your Catholic brothers and sisters and true family or do you think of them as strangers?

I confess that sometimes I have difficulty looking at everyone in my parish, much less the whole world, as belonging to one family – a family that truly surpasses bloodlines and surname.

Interesting question. I think I know what you’re getting at.

At Sunday Mass, we sit in the back row. And from that vantage point, we can see the vast number of worshippers in front of us. Sometimes… I have had thoughts such as… “these are my brothers and sisters”… or… “for each person here, there is also a Guardian Angel”… and it’s quite a thrilling reality.

But, your question is prompting me to think about it further. And I hope that one day, I will get to know each one of those treasured souls on a personal basis.

I love to think about Heaven… and that in our Father’s Kingdom… we will truly be family. Truly… ONE huge family, before the Throne of God.

Doesn’t that just fill you with joy?:smiley:

*Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with Thee. Blessed art Thou among women and blessed is the fruit of Thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death. Amen. *

Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse. Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse. Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse.

No, I tend to see others as my cousins, but, sadly, not my family. I hope that even if I one day do see them as my immediate family I will also love them, after all Cain murdered Abel and look what Joseph’s brothers did to him. I pray in this thread for the gift of pure love to the Holy Spirit through the Immaculate Heart of Mary. I think, Epistemes that you are consecrated to the Immaculate Heart of Mary, in that case, you are already loving your neighbor even if you can’t feel it it. :slight_smile:

After all, St. Louis Mary de Montfort writes in the book, True Devotion to Mary, that a wonderful effect of this sure and perfect devotion followed by such as Pope John Paul II, St. Therese of Liseux, and St. Maximilian Maria, is:

1. The gift of pure love
    **215. **The Mother of fair love will rid your heart of scruples and inordinate servile fear. She will open and enlarge it to obey the commandments of her Son with alarcity and with the holy freedom of the children of God. **She will fill your heart with pure love of which she is the treasury. You will then cease to act, as you did before, out of fear of God who is love, but rather out of pure love. ** You will look upon him as a loving Father and endeavour to please him at all times. You will speak trustfully to him as a child does to its father. If you should have the misfortune to offend him you will abse yourself before him and humbly beg his pardon. You will offer your hand to him with simplicity and lovingly rise from your sin. Then, peaceful and relaxed and buoyed with hope, you will continue on your way to him."

And also, writes about how this devotion is a way of loving our neighbor,

**7. ** It is of great benefit to our neighbor.
**171. ** By this devotion we show love for our neighbor in an outstanding way, since we give him through Mary’s hands all that we prize most highly - that is, the satisfactory and prayer value of all our good works, down to the least good thought and the least little suffeirng. We give our consent that all we have already acquired or will acquire until death should be used in accordance with our Lady’s will for the conversion of sinners or the deliverance of souls from purgatory.

Is this not perfect love of our neighbor? Is this not being a true disciple of our Lord, one who should always be recognized by his love? Is this not the way to convert sinners without any danger of vainglory, and deliver souls from purgatory by doing hardly anything more than what we are obliged to do by our state of life?

**172. ** To appreciate the excellence of this motive we must understand what a wonderful thing it is to convert a sinner or to deliver a soul from purgatory. It is an infinite good, greater than the creation of heaven and earth, since it gives a soul the possession of God. If by this devotion we secured the release of only one soul from purgatory or converted only one sinner in our whole lifetime, would that not be enough to induce any person who really loves his neighbor to practice this devotion?

It must be noted that our good works, passing through Mary’s hands, are progressively purified. Consequently, their merit and their satisfactory and prayer value is also increased. That is why they become much more effective in relieving the souls in purgatory and in converting sinners than if they did not pass through the virginal and liberal hands of Mary. Stripped of self-will and clothed with disinterested love, the little that we give to the Blessed Virgin is truly powerful enough to appease the anger of God and draw down his mercy. ** It may well be that at the hour of death a person who has been faithful to this devotion will find that he has freed many souls from purgatory and converted many sinners, even though he performed only the ordinary actions of his state of life. Great will be his joy at the judgment. Great will be his glory throughout eternity." **

May the graces of the Holy Spirit through the Immaculate Heart of Mary come down into our souls!! May we be glories to the Sacred Heart of Jesus through the Immaculate Heart of Mary!! Jesus, I trust in you!! Jesus, I trust in you!! For the sake of his sorrowful passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world!!

Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse. Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse. Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse.

*Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with Thee. Blessed art Thou among women and blessed is the fruit of Thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death. Amen. *

Free online books that contain the excerpts posted above:

Devoting oneself to the Sacred Heart of Jesus through the Immaculate Heart of Mary:
True Devotion to the Blessed Virgin link: montfort.org.uk/Writings/TrueDev.html
**Secret of the Rosary link: ** montfort.org.uk/Writings/Rosary.html
Preparation for 33 day consecration to the Blessed Virgin link:saintlouisdemontfort.com/consecration.cfm
Devotion to the Sacred Heart of Jesus link:en.wikisource.org/wiki/Devotion_to_the_Sacred_Heart_of_Jesus#FIRST_POINT._.E2.80.94_The_ardent_desire_Jesus_Christ_feels_to_be_with_us.
Divine Mercy Chapletewtn.com/Devotionals/mercy/dmmap.htm

I do consider my Catholic brothers and sisters as true family.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.