"Our Father" and Muslims?

Do any Muslims pray the “Our Father/Lord’s Prayer”? I know they don’t use the New Testament, but since they do view Jesus as an important prophet, is this prayer something that Muslims would pray, or could pray, seeing as how Jesus taught it to us?

No. There may be exceptions, but Muslim prayer tends to be more regimented than Christian or Jewish prayer, and to follow prescribed patterns closely. See here for details.
allaboutturkey.com/pray.htm

[quote=urquhart]No. There may be exceptions, but Muslim prayer tends to be more regimented than Christian or Jewish prayer, and to follow prescribed patterns closely. See here for details.
allaboutturkey.com/pray.htm
[/quote]

Greetings Urquhart,

Do all Muslims pray in Arabic or does each pray in their native tongue?

Thank you,
Elizabeth

[quote=elizabeth4truth]Greetings Urquhart,

Do all Muslims pray in Arabic or does each pray in their native tongue?

Thank you,
Elizabeth
[/quote]

Hey Elizabeth

The 5 daily prayers are to be said in Arabic (since it is the language the Quran was revealed in). However, Muslims are encouraged to make dua (supplications) as much as they can. We believe that God likes to hear the supplications of his servants. These can be said in any language.

Hope that answered your question

[quote=Rand Al’Thor]Do any Muslims pray the “Our Father/Lord’s Prayer”? I know they don’t use the New Testament, but since they do view Jesus as an important prophet, is this prayer something that Muslims would pray, or could pray, seeing as how Jesus taught it to us?
[/quote]

Most of the prayers Muslims say are those that are found in the Quran or taught by Prophet Mohamed (pbuh)…ofcourse personal prayers depend on the individual

How does the “father/lord’s prayer” go?

How could they pray the 'our father" ?..They think it is a blasphemy
to even call allah a father. Allah is not a father. He is a master and muslims see themselves as slaves to allah. Quite different from the way christians see God.

Viva Cristo Rey.

JoeTexas

Our Father, who art in Heaven
Hallowed be thy name
They kingdom come
Thy will be done
On earth, as it is in Heaven
Give us this day our daily bread
And forgive us our tresspasses
As we forgive those who tresspass against us
And lead us not into temptation
But deliver us from evil
Amen

BTW, the early Christians did refer to themselves as slaves to Christ, as in, he is their master and we are his servants; whatever he says goes. At least I believe that was the interpretation.

:gopray2:

[quote=JOETEXAS]How could they pray the 'our father" ?..They think it is a blasphemy
to even call allah a father. Allah is not a father. He is a master and muslims see themselves as slaves to allah. Quite different from the way christians see God.

Viva Cristo Rey.

JoeTexas
[/quote]

To be a slave of God…do you believe thats a bad thing?? From personal experience…being a slave to God frees you from being a slave to man. You only have ONE to answer to. I am a slave of God and im proud of it!

One of Allah 99 names is “the loving.” He is the Most Merciful. May we all be guided to the straight path and be in His presence in Paradise, God willing :gopray2:

Here is a link for islamic duaas:
duas.org/

Duaa in islam is what christains do when they pray, salah on the other hand is a formual ritual pray preformed 5 times a day on a set timetable. Duaa can be done anywhere, anytime and for anyreason.

Here are the etiquette of making duaa:
themodernreligion.com/basic/pray/etiquette.html

wa salam

[quote=FuzzyBunny116]Our Father, who art in Heaven
Hallowed be thy name
They kingdom come
Thy will be done
But deliver us from evil
Amen

BTW, the early Christians did refer to themselves as slaves to Christ, as in, he is their master and we are his servants; whatever he says goes. At least I believe that was the interpretation.
[/quote]

That prayer flows nicely :slight_smile: What does it mean “hallow be thy name” ?

Here is one of my favorite supplications:

O Allaah, You are my Lord
none has the right to be worshipped except You
You created me and I am You servant
and I abide to Your covenant and promise as best I can,
I take refuge in You from the evil of which I committed.
I acknowledge Your favour upon me and I acknowledge my sin, so forgive me, for verily none can forgive sin except You

ohh and this one too

O Ever Living, O Self-Subsisting and Supporter of all, by Your mercy I seek assistance, rectify for me all of my affairs and do not leave me to myself, even for the blink of an eye

there are too many i love…i dont wanna post a whole book up here :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=FuzzyBunny116]Our Father, who art in Heaven
Hallowed be thy name
They kingdom come
Thy will be done
But deliver us from evil
Amen

[/quote]

Hi Fuzzy Bunny,

We add this, in the Mass. Do you know why? I don’t find it in Matthew’s Gospel.

“For thine is the Kingdom, the Power, the Glory, now and forever! Amen!”

Peace,
Elizabeth

Faith 101, my dictionary gives 2 definations for hallowed

1.To make or set apart as holy
2.To respect or honor greatly:revere

So basically the prayer is saying God’s name is holy and deserves great honor.

I’ve always understood " “hallowed” it to mean blessed, and according to the definitions above I was right.:smiley: I think we might add that last part Elizabeth too, sometimes. I’ve heard it before I think. No idea what its from. Probably just something nice.:smiley:

Ahhh that first one sounds like a Psalm. Does anyone else think it sounds like a big long Psalm? Both of those prayers sound like something I would hear as a Christian prayer. We don’t use self-subsisting and supporter to descirbe God usually, but replace those words and I could definetly see it as a Christian prayer.

[quote=Faith101]That prayer flows nicely :slight_smile: What does it mean “hallow be thy name” ?

I acknowledge Your favour upon me and I acknowledge my sin, so forgive me, for verily none can forgive sin except You

ohh and this one too

O Ever Living, O Self-Subsisting and Supporter of all, by Your mercy I seek assistance, rectify for me all of my affairs and do not leave me to myself, even for the blink of an eye

there are too many i love…i dont wanna post a whole book up here :stuck_out_tongue:
[/quote]

Peace be with you!

Those are nice. Like Orlando Bloom said in Kingdom of Heaven (inacurate as it may have been) “Sounds like our prayers.”

In Christ,
Rand

To be a slave of God…do you believe thats a bad thing?? From personal experience…being a slave to God frees you from being a slave to man. You only have ONE to answer to. I am a slave of God and im proud of it
[/quote]

**AND WE AS CHRISTIANS ARE PROUD TO BE CALLED “CHILDREN OF GOD”! MUCH, MUCH BETTER TO BE A CHILD OF GOD THAN A SLAVE OF GOD!:slight_smile: **

[quote=Faith101]That prayer flows nicely :slight_smile: What does it mean “hallow be thy name” ?

ohh and this one too

[/quote]

Interesting. I did not know that you have such prayers.Thanks for sharing this.

manx

[quote=manx]Interesting. I did not know that you have such prayers.Thanks for sharing this.

manx
[/quote]

Hey Manx

no problem. We actually have a prayer that goes with every action we do…whether its waking up or putting clothes on or getting in our car or eating, or whatever…they are all equally as beautiful.
It is like being in a constant state of worship…makes it hard to do bad things

[quote=Faith101] It is like being in a constant state of worship…makes it hard to do bad things
[/quote]

Faith101,

I’m truly not trying to be a jerk, but if it’s so hard to do bad things in Islam, why do so many “Muslims” do bad things?

Shalom,
RyanL

[quote=RyanL]Faith101,

I’m truly not trying to be a jerk, but if it’s so hard to do bad things in Islam, why do so many “Muslims” do bad things?

Shalom,
RyanL
[/quote]

lol, its ok

Why do *people * do bad things? If a muslim is true to their faith, then they will abstain from doing these bad things. And when we get weak, Allah tells us

O ye who believe! seek help with patient perseverance and prayer; for Allah is with those who patiently persevere. (Chapter #2, Verse #153)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.