Our Father (and stange habits)

I’ve never understood holding hand during “Our Father.” It’s just not done very much in our diocese. I can accept it though, and if someone next to me wants to hold hands, I will.

Here’s the annoying part. Now a few people in our Church started holding their hands up toward the altar during the Lord’s Prayer. I call it annoying because I don’t understand it, and it reminds me of a Bible Church nearby where they speak in tongues and hold their hands out like that.

Someone please tell me why they do that, or if it’s pretty normal and I just never noticed.

[quote=Jabronie]I’ve never understood holding hand during “Our Father.” It’s just not done very much in our diocese. I can accept it though, and if someone next to me wants to hold hands, I will.

Here’s the annoying part. Now a few people in our Church started holding their hands up toward the altar during the Lord’s Prayer. I call it annoying because I don’t understand it, and it reminds me of a Bible Church nearby where they speak in tongues and hold their hands out like that.

Some please tell me why they were doing it.
[/quote]

Look for any thread here with the Orans position. It is a hot issue. This was started by the Charistmatic movement. The explaination is that it is found in the Catacombs.

In the Eastern Rite churches, it is the norm. In Latin Rite, it is an innovation.

Hold your ground and do not do it if you are not comfortable. We teach our children that if everyone jumped off a bridge, we would not, yet people do it because everyone else is.

That’s exactly what I feared. Thanks! :slight_smile:

[quote=netmilsmom]Look for any thread here with the Orans position. It is a hot issue. This was started by the Charistmatic movement. The explaination is that it is found in the Catacombs.

In the Eastern Rite churches, it is the norm. In Latin Rite, it is an innovation.

Hold your ground and do not do it if you are not comfortable. We teach our children that if everyone jumped off a bridge, we would not, yet people do it because everyone else is.
[/quote]

I’ve never heard of that being the norm in the Eastern Catholic Churches. Where did you hear this? None of those postures–hand holding, orans, or waving are in the rubrics.

[quote=Jabronie]I’ve never understood holding hand during “Our Father.” It’s just not done very much in our diocese. I can accept it though, and if someone next to me wants to hold hands, I will.

Someone please tell me why they do that, or if it’s pretty normal and I just never noticed.
[/quote]

…and that’s how it starts…look out now, here comes intrepretive dance… i know that i am doomed… interpretive dance will be the death of me yet…:thumbsup:

i vote, no petty fingers in church… IMHO:thumbsup:

[quote=Mickey]I’ve never heard of that being the norm in the Eastern Catholic Churches. Where did you hear this? None of those postures–hand holding, orans, or waving are in the rubrics.
[/quote]

The members of the Eastern Rite churches right here on the boards tell us that the Orans is in all of their icons and an accepted prayer posture.

NOT waving or hand holding. If that’s what it seemed that I wrote, I apologize.:o

[/quote]

Introduced upon personal initiative by those who think the mass is their private property.

[quote=fix]Introduced upon personal initiative by those who think the mass is their private property.
[/quote]

I kind of like the throwing of confetti at the consecration suggest (sarcastically) on another thread.:wink:

[quote=fix]Introduced upon personal initiative by those who think the mass is their private property.
[/quote]

Am I out of line if I express my concern about this to the Priest?

[quote=netmilsmom]Look for any thread here with the Orans position. It is a hot issue. This was started by the Charistmatic movement. The explaination is that it is found in the Catacombs.

[/quote]

NIX!

At least not in the Byzantine/Ruthenian Catholic CHurch.

[quote=Pariah Pirana]NIX!

[/quote]

You’ve been in these discussions with me.
Why do the Eastern Catholic defend it so much and point to their icons if the prayer posture is not the norm?
I’m truly asking, not being smug in any way.

[quote=Jabronie]Am I out of line if I express my concern about this to the Priest?
[/quote]

I’m not sure. Perhaps pose the question like you did here and see what he says.

You must be in the Lincoln diocese. I wish we had a bishop like Bp. Bruskewicz. There would be no abuses ever!

the orans position is not an innovation. it is a traditional posture for prayer. that is why it is seen in eastern iconography.

[quote=katherine2]the orans position is not an innovation. it is a traditional posture for prayer. that is why it is seen in eastern iconography.
[/quote]

The Orans position is an innovation in the liturgy for the laity.
Laying prostrate is also a traditional posture for prayer. We as the laity do not and should not do either in the Holy Mass.

[quote=netmilsmom]The Orans position is an innovation in the liturgy for the laity.
Laying prostrate is also a traditional posture for prayer. We as the laity do not and should not do either in the Holy Mass.
[/quote]

It is not an innovation for the laity. it is very traditional for the laity. again referencing eastern iconography, it can be seen with teh Blessed Mother or other lay saints.

[quote=katherine2]It is not an innovation for the laity. it is very traditional for the laity. again referencing eastern iconography, it can be seen with teh Blessed Mother or other lay saints.
[/quote]

Notice how you state, Eastern Iconography.
Nuff said.

[quote=netmilsmom]I kind of like the throwing of confetti at the consecration suggest (sarcastically) on another thread.:wink:
[/quote]

I am sure it has been done. :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=Jabronie]Am I out of line if I express my concern about this to the Priest?
[/quote]

It certainly is legitimate to talk to the priest about it, but honestly I would be surprised if anything much came of it.

Here is a brief note from EWTN on the matter:

1. It is introduced on personal initiative. The Holy See has authority over the liturgy according to Vatican II’s “Constitution on the Sacred Liturgy” #22 and canon 838 of the Code of Canon Law.

This gesture has come into widespread use, often leaving bishops and pastors at a loss as to how to reverse the situation. For individuals, I would recommend closed eyes and a prayerful posture as sufficient response, rather than belligerence. Most laity, and probably many priests, are blind to the liturgical significance of interrupting the flow of the Mass in this way. It is not necessary to lose one’s peace over this or be an irritation to others. Some proportion is required. If asked why you don’t participate, simply, plainly and charitably tell the questioner of your discovery. If some chance of changing the practice is possible talk to the pastor or work with other laity through the parish council. You can also write the bishop, as is your right in the case of any liturgical abuse not resolved at the parish level. If your judgment is that no change is possible then I believe you are excused from further fraternal correction.

Answered by Colin B. Donovan, STL

[quote=Pariah Pirana]NIX!

[/quote]

I didn’t think so.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.