Our first Advent

This is my family’s first advent. My wife and I are new to Advent and are a little confused on lighting the candles. We understand that a new candle is lit every Sunday, but do you continue to light that same candle Monday through Saturday of that week or only on Sundays are candles lit. Do you read a scripture every night or only on Sundays?

[quote="Hoxbar, post:1, topic:221040"]
This is my family's first advent. My wife and I are new to Advent and are a little confused on lighting the candles. We understand that a new candle is lit every Sunday, but do you continue to light that same candle Monday through Saturday of that week or only on Sundays are candles lit. Do you read a scripture every night or only on Sundays?

[/quote]

Typically you light the same candle everyday of the week. And you continue to light the first candle during the second week of Advent and so forth such that by the final week of Advent you are lighting all four candles.

Since a home Advent Wreath is a *private *devotion you can light candles, read scripture, and/or say prayers... or not.

Often families have a specific prayer that they pray each day of a given week. But including scripture readings is always a good idea.

I would point out that the Advent Wreath is a cultural tradition (apparently of Germanic origins) that has been integrated into the liturgy in some places. Catholics are under no obligation to have Advent Wreaths in their homes and plenty of good Catholics don't.

[quote="Hoxbar, post:1, topic:221040"]
This is my family's first advent. My wife and I are new to Advent and are a little confused on lighting the candles. We understand that a new candle is lit every Sunday, but do you continue to light that same candle Monday through Saturday of that week or only on Sundays are candles lit. Do you read a scripture every night or only on Sundays?

[/quote]

As SMHW said, there is no obligation for you to do an Advent Wreath at all at home. However, it is a wonderful way to live your faith beyond Mass, and if you do you can do lots of things. The one thing that everyone seems to do the same is that on Week 1, only one purple candle is lit. On week 2, 2 purple candles are lit. On week 3, 2 purple candles and one pink candle are lit, and on week 4, all 4 candles are lit.

You can simply light the candles as you say Grace (if you're doing it at supper time). You can say a special advent prayer. You can do it just on Sundays or every day of the week. You can do a scripture verse or not. You can sing a song (like O Come O Come Emmanuel) or not. You can do it at supper time or after, just before bed, whenever you want.

In our house, we try to do it every night before supper. We start with a short prayer, then read a short bible verse, then another short prayer. Then we sing an advent song. Then we say Grace. On days when that seems too long, we might just do our first little prayer, or the little prayer and then the song.

The advent wreath is one of favorite childhood memories of Christmas. It was done every night. My sister and I took turns lighting the candels.

We started the tradition again last year with my boys. Oh they get so excited about lighting the candels, and listening to a little prayer.

You don't HAVE to do it. But It really is a nice touch to the season. It's part of making it a "season" and not just a day.

I just made new candle holders for this year. There is so much you can do.... ENJOY!

This is my first Advent too!

We set up a wreath also. My wife makes a Sunday dinner and light the candle(s) after we say grace. The candles stay lit for the duration and extinguished when we put away the dishes. On Christmas, they stay lit until we go to bed Christmas night.

closed #7

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.