Our Lady and Human Nature of Christ

Hello, dear Brothers! :slight_smile:

I have a question: shall we say that Human Nature of Our Lord Jesus Christ is immensely greater than Our Lady?

Thank you!

I’m not sure what that even means. Jesus had a human nature the same as all of us–human. But he was a divine person and had a divine nature as well. A human nature is a human nature.

Our Father measures greatness by servitude. Jesus was the greatest Servant and Our Lady second greatest. We would need to quantify immensely to directly answer you, but not an easy task on the earthly plain.

Did you not understand what I meant? if yes, I understand: I’m Brazilian and my english, actually, isn’t very good. :confused:

Jesus received his human nature from his mother. He was not some kind of super human, rather he has the same human nature that we all have, without the corruption of the original sin of Adam. Since he received his humanity from his mother, his human nature is not in any way greater. He was 100% human as was the Blessed Virgin Mary. Unlike Mary however he was also 100% Divine. He was “immensely greater than Our Lady”, in his Divinity, but not in his Humanity which he received from her.

I was puzzled by the question. Are we comparing the human nature of Jesus to the human nature of Mary? That’s why I said that a human nature is a human nature. Jesus’ human nature is the same as ours except that his was not affected by original sin. And Mary was protected from original sin by the salvific merits of her Son.

So I’m having a hard time understanding the question. Nevertheless, I think the reply given by spiderweb was spot on accurate.

For example: Mary is greater than me*. She is immaculate, etc.

So, this is the “greater than me” that I want say. Does you understand now?

*Greater than me, Superior, etc.

My question is about dignity

Does you understand now?

I think so. But dignity pertains to persons, not natures. And in his Person, Jesus is the second Person of the Trinity, so as a divine Person, he has infinite dignity.

Mary and all of us are human persons with human natures. Jesus is a divine person with a divine nature and also a human nature. Dignity pertains to person–who one is–and Jesus is the Son of God, so his dignity exceeds that of every human person.

The Forth Ecumenical Council stated Concerning Christ’s nature and personhood,

The most important of all the sessions was the fifth, held 22 October; in this the bishops published a decree concerning the Christian Faith, which must be considered as the specific dogmatic decree of the Fourth General Council. A special commission, consisting of the papal legates, of Anatolius of Constantinople, Maximus of Antioch, Juvenal of Jerusalem, and several others, was appointed to draw up this creed or symbol. After again approving the decrees and symbols of the Councils of Nicaea (325), Constantinople (381), and Ephesus (431), as well as the teaching of St. Cyril against Nestorius and the dogmatic epistle of Pope Leo I, the document in question declares:

We teach . . . one and the same Christ, Son, Lord, Only-begotten, known in two natures, without confusion, without change, without division, without separation.

newadvent.org/cathen/03555a.htm

Creator and Creature, then the order of grace with the Mother of the Lord.

catholicfaithandreason.org/mary-our-mother-in-the-order-of-grace.html

I think I understand now! Thank you! :slight_smile:

So, when we say “Two Natures, One Person”, is exactly This Person that Is the Second Person of the Trinity?

In other words: Is there, in the word “Person”, same sense?

Yes, that is “who” Jesus is. He is a divine person. But he is also fully human, having become man–taking on a human nature. So he is a human being in the sense that he has a fully human nature (in addition to his divine nature), but he is a divine person.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.