Our Lady of Garabandal "2012"??

Hello.

First that all, I’m colombian, and therefore english is not my mother language, but I’m sure i’m able to have a good conversation with you about this.

I have read somewhere that our Lady of Garabandal said that the end of the world would be this years, and that Pope Benedict XVI is the last pope.

My question is. Did really our lady of Garabandal said those things, or it is just an internet hoax.

Thanks for your help.

You are not allowed to discuss unapproved apparitions on this system.

Shalom, ICXC NIKA

GEddie is correct. Garabandal is unapproved and forum rules do not allow discussion on the content of unapproved private revelations.

**Provided one does not promote the unapproved private revelation I will allow this discussion for the sake of clarification for our friend.

This thread has been moved to Apologetics.**

Who is the Lady of Garabandal?

If you put Our Lady of Garabandal into Google you’ll come up with lot of sites and they talk about the messages. It is my understanding this apparition was disapproved by the Church, BTW.

As far as I know, no firm date was set for anything. But if you are curious, you might check the various sites to read what was said.

There are several sources of conjecture for the “last Pope” belief. I believe Benedict is supposed to be the next-to-last according to most. But I don’t place much credence in these sources.

What I am sure of is that no seer or apparition reports the world ending soon, but many have reported a kind of great chastisement is coming unless we all pray and do penance. You might check out Akita, which is approved and has a fairly specific set of messages. You’ll find Akita info on the page linked below.

miraclehunter.com/marian_apparitions/approved_apparitions/bishop.html

Since the question has been okayed, here is my MX$2 worth:

Garabandal took place in 1961 in northern Spain (town of Garabandal) to four young girls, at least one of whom has since died. The messages were generally apocalyptic, pertaining to a future “warning”, “miracle” and “punishment”, in that order.

No date was set for any of these events and no mention whatever was made of the year 2012.

One of the young women was quoted as saying that there would be only 3 popes before the Miracle. If true, these popes would have been Paul VI, JP1 and JP2. This suggests that the Warning and Miracle would occur under HH Benedict XVI.

The Church has closed its inquiry into Garabandal and has declined either to approve or condemn it; therefore it will remain unapproved.

Shalom and ICXC NIKA

The Church declared there is no evidence of any supernatural happenings. That is the Church decision.

Originally Posted by FireRaptor
Hello.

First that all, I’m colombian, and therefore english is not my mother language, but I’m sure i’m able to have a good conversation with you about this.

I have read somewhere that our Lady of Garabandal said that the end of the world would be this years, and that Pope Benedict XVI is the last pope.

My question is. Did really our lady of Garabandal said those things, or it is just an internet hoax.

Thanks for your help.

unitypublishing.com/Apparitions/Garabandal2.html

On October 11, 1996 the new bishop, Jose Vilaplana, again placed his prohibition on the alleged apparitions and said it is final.

"Some people have been coming directly to the Diocese of Santander (Spain) asking about the alleged apparitions of Garabandal and especially for the answer about the position of the hierarchy of the Church concerning these apparitions.

I need to communicate that:

All the bishops of the diocese since 1961 through 1970 agreed that there was **no supernatural validity for the apparitions.**
In the month of December of 1977 Bishop Dal Val of Santander, in union with his predecessors, stated that in the six years of being bishop of Santander there were no new phenomena.
The same bishop, Dal Val, let a few years go by to allow the confusion or fanaticism to settle down, and then he initiated a commission to examine the apparitions in more depth. The conclusion of the commission agreed with the findings of the previous bishops. **That there was no supernatural validity to such apparitions.**
At the time of the conclusions of the study, in 1991, I was installed bishop in the diocese. So during my visit to Rome, as limina visit which happened in the same year, I presented to the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith the study and I asked for pastoral direction concerning this case.
On Nov. 28, 1992, the Congregation sent me an answer saying that after examining the documentation, there was no need for direct intervention (by the Vatican) to take away the jurisdiction of the ordinary bishop of Santander in this case. Such a right belongs to the ordinary. Previous declarations of the Holy See agree in this finding. In the same letter they suggested that if I find it necessary to publish a declaration, **that I reconfirm that there was no supernatural validity in the alleged apparitions, and this will make a unanimous position with my predecessors.**
Given that the declarations of my predecessors who studied the case have been clear and unanimous, I don’t find it necessary to have a new public declaration that would raise notoriety about something which happened so long ago. However, I find it necessary to rewrite this report as a direct answer to the people who ask for direction concerning this question, which is now final: I agree with [and] I accept the decision of my predecessors and the direction of the Holy See.

I saw footage of the girls in one of their trances in a TV documentary of the apparitions at Garabandal. The girls walked rapidly backwards over uneven ground, in perfect lockstep, with their heads thrown back and gazing upwards in a completely unnatural position. IMHO, this was not from God.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.