our lady of guadalupe

I know that Mary is standing on top of Satan, but what is the crescent looking thing between her and him? His horns?

I could not find a copy of the Guadalupe Virgin standing on Satan. All the copies I found were with the Virgin standing on the moon being supported by an angel.
It probably comes from the verse in Revelation of the woman with the moon at her feet.

Our Lady of Grace is the same.

WHat do you know, a catholic question I may actually know. half of my relatives LOVE the virgin of Guadalupe. I was under the impression that is was the moon as well, taken from Revelations as you said:

"A great sign appeared in the sky,
a woman clothed with the sun,
with the moon at her feet,
and on her head a crown of twelve stars."
Revelation 12:1 12

I have a picture somewhere that a priest described back in the 1600’s. See if I can find it.

This was a Father Miguel Sanchez interpretation back in 1648. http://i16.tinypic.com/63uurzt.jpg

Taken again from Revelations…

"A great sign appeared in the sky,
a woman clothed with the sun,
with the moon at her feet,
and on her head a crown of twelve stars."
Revelation 12:1 12

Huh?

kind of unusual interpretation, but it does not seem to interest me much.

I live in Texas, I have a lot of Hispanic relatives, The Virgin of Guadalupe is much loved to them so I have researched her before. Is there not a term also used for her such as Lady of the North Star? I have seen that at a Catholic web site, here you go:

maryourmother.net/Guadalupe.html

I guess I just don’t get it…

The constellations that appear on her robe were the stars that were visible that night, dec. 15, 1531. IIRC.:slight_smile:

Wow, I never heard that before. Pretty cool. :smiley:

Oops, sorry. I should have added that! Would have helped! LOL :blush:

I remember reading a web-site about Our Lady of Guadalupe. I seem to recall the turquoise robe she wore was of a certain shade of green that was not reproducible at the time of her visitation. There’s was something about her eyes in a picture reflecting Juan Samuel (is that his name). I can’t locate that web-site anymore. Does anyone know of any good information sites on this event?

sancta.org/ This sight seems to have some good info.:slight_smile:

I thought it was Juan Diego but dont quote me on that.

Aye da be da man!

Our parish is Our Lady of Guadalupe.

So it wasn’t Juan Samuel?!? So I guess he’s not the man that went on to play for the Phillies and other teams in the 80’s and 90’s?!?

Hmmmmm. I’ve GOT to brush up on my history.

Yes, it was Juan Diego.

She is standing on the moon with a chrub holding her up. At her conception God assigned leigons of angel to protect her.The rays behind her represent her son

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.