Our Lady of Mount Carmel Scapular

When Mary appears to St.Simon Stock with a scapular she tells him,
“Take, beloved son this scapular of thy order as a badge of my confraternity and for thee and all Carmelites a special sign of grace; whoever dies in this garment, will not suffer everlasting fire. It is the sign of salvation, a safeguard in dangers, a pledge of peace and of the covenant”.

The promise is also on the scapular as well…but does it really mean what you think it means or does it go much deeper than that? For instance, it would be hard to imagine a sinner, wearing the scapular, getting a clear path to heaven when they die.

I read about it on New Advent but to be honest there was so much written about the scapular(s). Can someone explain to me more about our Mother’s promise to St. Simon Stock?

Thank you and God Bless!

~Kerry

Hola:

A Lot Of People Wear The Scapular, But I Have Found A Few That Said: The Scapular Is A Passport To Heaven, And They Live Loosely…as I Tell Them If You Not Live In God’s Grace You Will Go To Hell Even If You Have 10,000 Scapulars Around Your Neck.

“In addition, the person has a special entrustment of themselves to Mary for their salvation. This, in fact, has been promised to those who faithfully wear the scapular: “Those who die wearing this scapular shall not suffer eternal fire.” This must not be understood superstitiously or magically, but in light of Catholic teaching that perseverance in faith, hope and love are required for salvation. The scapular is a powerful reminder of this Christian obligation and of Mary’s promise to help those consecrated to her obtain the grace of final perseverance.”

The Carmelite Scapular is not:
a magical charm to protect you
an automatic guarantee of salvation
an excuse for not living up to the demands of the Christian life

**It is a sign** which stands for the decision to:
											-follow Jesus like Mary
											-be open to God and to His Will
											-be guided by faith, hope and love
											-to pray at all times
											-to discover God's presence in all that happens around us

http://www.carmelitedcj.org/saints/scapular.asp

Pius tradition holds that the words of the “promise” on each Scapular were dictated by St. Simon Stock to his secretary, Peter Swanyngton, in 1251. However, although the Scapular itself is well documented, there is no historical record of this “promise” before 1642.

In all likelyhood, the “promise” was added much later as a pius expectation of the wearer’s disposition and fate with an understanding consistent with previous posts. But it probably did NOT originate with Our Lady or St. Simon Stock.

[quote=DavidFilmer]Pius tradition holds that the words of the “promise” on each Scapular were dictated by St. Simon Stock to his secretary, Peter Swanyngton, in 1251. However, although the Scapular itself is well documented, there is no historical record of this “promise” before 1642.

In all likelyhood, the “promise” was added much later as a pius expectation of the wearer’s disposition and fate with an understanding consistent with previous posts. But it probably did NOT originate with Our Lady or St. Simon Stock.
[/quote]

Hey, can you give a source for the first appearance you list in 1642??? Thanks and God Bless.

[quote=slinky1882]Hey, can you give a source for the first appearance you list in 1642??? Thanks and God Bless.
[/quote]

Google** “Brown Scapular” 1642 **and you will find *many *referencs (including sources such as the Catholic Encyclopedia).

closed #7

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.