Our Lady of the Sierras

What is the Church’s position on the apparitions called Our Lady of the Sierras?

I had never heard of it, until I read your question. So… I Googled it. I didn’t find very much. I found no statement on this, from the Church… or even the diocese where the parish is located. All I could find was an article from the Arizona Daily Star newspaper… which spoke of the woman parishioner you’re wondering about. It said something to effect that she “goes into the spirit” and Our Lady speaks through her?

Hmm. It sounds VERY MUCH like “New Age channeling” to me. I’d be very cautious about this.

God bless.

Norm for the discernment of apparitions: theotokos.org.uk/pages/appdisce/cdftexte.html

I find Marian Apparitions and apparitions in general fascinating. I’ve also heard of the Apparitions to Maria Valtorta. She supposedly recieved through private revelation a detailed description of the life of Christ. Sort of on the idea of what Anne Catherine Emmerich recieved. However, I have a hard time believing those two. Their good meditative tools but I don’t think they’re both fully genuine. We have to be careful not to take things like that as a 5th Gospel.

Valtorta’s work has been condemned. Avoid.

Try the Revelations and Prophecies of Saint Bridget of Sweden, which are approved by the Church. Your life will be changed after reading God’s amazingly powerful words through this great Saint! You can read the revelations at the site below,

www.prophecyfilm.com

The Revelations of Saint Bridget were accorded an exceptionally high degree of authenticity, authority and importance from an early date. Pope Gregory XI (1370-78) approved and confirmed them and judged them highly favorably, as did Boniface IX (1389-1404) in the papal Bull Ab origine mundi, par. 39 (7 Oct 1391). They were later examined at the Council of Constance (1414-18) and at the Council of Basel (1431-49), both judging them to be in conformity with the Catholic faith; The Revelations were also strongly defended by numerous highly regarded theologians, including Jean Gerson (1363-1429), Chancellor of the University of Paris and Cardinal Juan de Torquemada (1388-1468).

Regarding the comment about the person who claimed Valtorta is condemned: The Poem of the Man-God is in actuality fully Church-approved. For complete details, check out this free research document, which can be downloaded here:

Poem of the Man-God Research Document (PDF)

The trailer for it is here:

Poem of the Man-God Research Document Trailer

I am a huge Valtorta fan and wrote this e-book about Maria Valtorta and the Poem of the Man-God which www.mariavaltortawebring.com has hosted on their home page for download and Douay-Rheims Bible Online (which has 70,000 visitors a year) has also hosted on their website.

This e-book is a comprehensive and well-researched guide to everything a Catholic needs to know about Maria Valtorta’s writing: its importance, its history, its ecclesiastical status, how it compares to other revelations, the 14 proofs of its divine origin, and its critics and defenses.

This free e-book is the result of hundreds of hours of research over 6 months, utilizing a tremendous number of Internet and printed sources. To give you a taste of its level of depth and scholarship: it has 902 references/endnotes.

Some chapters in this e-book:

"The Position of the Popes, the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith (the Holy Office), and the Vatican Newspaper on the Poem of the Man-God"

"Timeline of Major Events of the Poem of the Man-God’s Ecclesiastical Approval"

Some things you may have not been aware of:

Saint Padre Pio and at least two spiritual children of his approve the Poem of the Man-God. In 1967 (a year before Padre Pio’s death), a long-time spiritual daughter of his, Mrs. Elisa Lucchi, asked him in Confession: “Father, I have heard mention of Maria Valtorta’s books. Do you advise me to read them?” Saint Padre Pio responded: "I don’t advise you to – I order you to!" There is also documented eyewitness accounts by several trustworthy sources that Saint Padre Pio approved and encouraged the reading of Maria Valtorta’s works, and that he has had mystical experiences with Maria Valtorta during the time when they were both alive. All of this is documented and described in the e-book.

Blessed Gabriel Allegra, O.F.M. was beatified by Pope Benedict XVI on September 29, 2012 and Blessed Gabriel Allegra was an outspoken and avid long-time supporter of Maria Valtorta and spent the latter years of his life studying, promoting, and defending the Poem of the Man-God (Maria Valtorta's major work). You can read his testimony online here:

Blessed Gabriel Allegra's Critiques, Notes, and Letters on Maria Valtorta's The Poem of the Man-God

Notable actions of the Popes regarding the Poem of the Man-God include:

A high-ranking prelate personally handed Pope Pius XII a 12-volume typewritten copy of the Poem of the Man-God in 1947. After these volumes were evaluated by the Pope for a year, he granted a special audience with the three Servites of Mary in charge of this work. At this audience, as Bishop of Rome and the Vicar of Christ, Pope Pius XII gave the Poem of the Man-God an official imprimatur and commanded them to publish it “just as it is”. Cardinal Edouard Gagnon, writing to the Maria Valtorta Research Center from the Vatican on October 31, 1987, referred to Pope Pius XII's action as: "The kind of official imprimatur granted before witnesses by the Holy Father in 1948, an Official Imprimatur of the Supreme Authority of the Church"

Pope Paul VI showed obvious signs of favor towards the Poem by sending a letter of congratulations and blessing to world-renowned Mariologist, Fr. Gabriel Roschini, for his book The Virgin Mary in the Writings of Maria Valtorta. Furthermore, Archbishop Pasquale Macchi, Private Secretary of Pope Paul VI, said to Fr. Corrado M. Berti, O.S.M., in an hour long interview in 1963: "When His Holiness (Paul VI) was Archbishop of Milan, he read one of the books of The Poem of the Man-God. He told me how he appreciated it, and had me send the complete work to the library of the diocesan seminary."

Pope John Paul II approved the decree of a miracle and the beatification of a world-renowned theologian who was an outspoken and avid long-time supporter of Maria Valtorta and who spent the latter years of his life studying, promoting, and defending the Poem of the Man-God: Blessed Gabriel M. Allegra, O.F.M. Furthermore, according to Cardinal Stanislaw Dziwisz, the secretary of Pope John Paul II, the Pope was a reader of Maria Valtorta. The cardinal testifies to having often seen one of the volumes of The Gospel as Revealed to Me [a.k.a. *The Poem of the Man-God] on the Pope’s bedside table.

Only the first edition was put on the Index of Forbidden Books the same day as St. Faustina's writings were. Fr. Marco Giraudo, O.P., Commissioner of the Holy Office, later approved the publication of the 2nd edition of the Poem of the Man-God in 1961, stating to Fr. Berti: “We have no objection to your publishing this 2nd edition. We will see how the work is welcomed.”

Believe it or not, her revelations have been proven by multiple areas of science to be 99.6% historically accurate as is shown in the e-book.

After the Holy Bible and the most sacred perennial books of the Catholic Faith (the Summa Theologica, etc.), there is perhaps no greater book that exists in the world today than the Poem of the Man-God, and I think it is truly impossible for any person of good will to not only highly benefit from reading it; but I would go so far as to say that any person of good will who reads it will almost certainly have his life changed profoundly in some way.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.