Our Lady of the Streets

I am looking for information on Our Lady of the Streets. Does anyone know of a good website?

Thanks
David

You’ll need to be a little more specific.

The Catholic Church has never (as far as I know) officially recognized the Blessed Mother under the title, “Our Lady of the Streets.” There are, however, missions, books, paintings, statues, etc that bear this name.

Hmmm… OK. That helps a little. I have heard the term a lot lately and was just wondering where it comes from. If it is not a recognized title of Our Lady, then is it appropriate to have a devotion to “Our Lady of the Streets” or to have her as a Patroness? Also I would like to know if any one has any history on this title and where it is used—might it be a transition from some other language/country? I have been googling the term for a few days and I can’t seem to find much.

Thanks

Maybe this link will help you:

udayton.edu/mary/questions/yq/yq15.html

[quote=Charboneau]…is it appropriate to have a devotion to “Our Lady of the Streets” or to have her as a Patroness?
[/quote]

Anyone may have a private devotion to anyone (or any representation of Our Lady) as long as it doesn’t conflict with anything the Church has said. Thus, one may have a private devotion to the late JP2, even though the Church has not (yet) formally recognized his state following death.

Likewise, anyone may encourage (but not require or compel) others to participate in this devotion. However, I don’t think it would be appropriate (or allowed) for a private devotion to be the patron of a Religious Order or something like this, because this would imply an official sanction that has not been granted.

If a soup kitchen operated under the patronship of Our Lady of the Streets, I think that would be stretching it (it may cause confustion about the status of the title by lending a sense of credibility that is not earned). But, on the other hand, nobody can dispute that Our Lady is patroness of every person on earth, so I guess it wouldn’t bother me too much in that instance.

closed #6

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.