Our Lady of...

Pax!
There is a tradition of calling Virgin Mary the “Our Lady of…”. Could someone please tell me where this title is coming from?

Just off the top of my head, isn’t it usually associated with specific apparitions of Mary?

It may well be that this comes from different sources by different people for different reasons.

For example, Our Lady of Grace. This is the picture of Mary on the front of the miraculous medal as she a appeared in one vision to St. Catherine. Her hands are extended downward and outward, with three rings on each finger from which come rays of multi-colors, which Mary said represent different degrees of grace for those who ask for them.

Our Lady of Mount Carmel probably is of this type as well.

And then “Our Lady” is another common tittle whereby Mary is referred to. So Our Lady of Hope is another way of saying Mary our hope.

May God bless and keep you. May God’s face shine on you. May God be kind to you and give you peace.

I like the name of the Catholic Church in the fictional town of Lake Woebegone – Our Lady of Perpetual Responsibility :smiley:

It comes from the same place as the tradition of calling Jesus “Our Lord”.

Chist the King

Mary, Queen of Heaven and Earth.

Again, as if he needs me to say so, Deacon Jeff is exactly correct.

“Our Lord” and “Our Lady” are appelations - names or titles given to someone in authority or someone who has control. For temporal rulers the appelation usually specifies a geographic region for temporal rulers as in “The Lord of Sussex” or “The Lady of London”.

-Tim-

TY, TYVM!!:tiphat:

My sons went to a catholic school by the name of , Our Lady of the Way ,:slight_smile:

A way back when, in Catholic high school, our sports teams never took the field without invoking “Our Lady, Queen of Victory” :yeah_me: and exam periods often began with the invocation of “Our Lady, Queen of Wisdom” :nerd:

:thumbsup:
tee

So when did this tradition begin? The title “Our Lady of…” is not mentioned in the Bible.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.