Our Lady of...

How is everyone doing this fine day/night/whatever it is where you are?

So, I have seen many Catholics say things along the lines of, “Our Lady of Fatima said…” or “Our Lady of Lourdes said…” or “Our Lady of [insert place here] said…” Since these are all Marian apparitions, why don’t people just say, “Mary said…at Fatima,” or “Mary said…at Lourdes?” It is confusing for non-Catholics to hear such things, and it makes it sound like Mary has several personalities running around. Any thoughts?

God bless!

[quote=The Iambic Pen]How is everyone doing this fine day/night/whatever it is where you are?

So, I have seen many Catholics say things along the lines of, “Our Lady of Fatima said…” or “Our Lady of Lourdes said…” or “Our Lady of [insert place here] said…” Since these are all Marian apparitions, why don’t people just say, “Mary said…at Fatima,” or “Mary said…at Lourdes?” It is confusing for non-Catholics to hear such things, and it makes it sound like Mary has several personalities running around. Any thoughts?

God bless!
[/quote]

Perhaps because some apparitions do not yet have Church approval as worthy of belief, or because the Church has rejected some claims. The significance is brought to the front of the sentence that way. It also conveys the sense of blessing to the people of a certain place to have “Our Lady of” preceeding the area.

That’s just my conjecture.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.