Our Muslim clerics are blaming non Islamic systems for current financial crisis.

Yesterday in the Friday prayer, our mosque cleric said that current financial crisis are because the western system doesn’t follow Islamic law in their banking system, and that affected all banks worldwide, he said Islam has discovered that 1400 years back!
He said Allah literally demolished some banks in US per this verse in (Quran 2:276):
Allah will deprive usury of all blessing, but will give increase for deeds of charity; for He loveth not creatures ungrateful and wicked.

I didn’t like his propaganda, because all the commercial banks here in SA are dealing with interest, you can’t take any type of loan unless you pay from 5% to 10% interest rate, so why this double standard, if one of the local banks here had filed for bankruptcy, would he say the same thing!

And of course he doesn’t know that usury is prohibited also in Christianity and Judaism before Islam:

(Leviticus 25:36):
Take no usury or interest from him; but fear your God, that your brother may live with you.

(Exodus 22:25):
If you lend money to any of My people who are poor among you, you shall not be like a moneylender to him; you shall not charge him interest.

(Psalm 15:5):
He who does not put out his money at usury, Nor does he take a bribe against the innocent. He who does these things shall never be moved.

The ancient Greeks forbade lending money at interest as well.

And as you pointed out, Christians anciently forbade it.

The FIRST Christian to make a distinction between reasonable interest and unlawful usury was Jean Chauvin (known to history as John Calvin).

Rather late in the day, don’t you think?

I thought the Jews allowed usury charged to non-Jews; in Christian Europe during the Middle Ages many Jews went into banking and could charge usury, since it was forbidden for Christians to do so. This is one of the factors which fueled Antisemitism and caused Jews to be stereotyped as wealthy and greedy.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.