Out of step

I often hear the comment that the Catholic Church is out of step with the modern world. I have come to believe that that is a true statement. The trouble with the world is that it is about 5 steps behind the Church and is doing everything in its’ power to drag it backwards. I personally know many young families who are in step with the Church and they are such a hopefull sign. I followed the message of the world and reaped the disastrous effects.

st julie

I think the world is out of step with the Church, and it’s up to the world to straighten up and not up to the church to downgrade itself into sin and relativism.

I am filled with great hope and joy when I hear someone complain that the Church is out of step with the modern world. It tells me that the Church is going exactly where it needs to go, and walking in the light of Truth.

The world is out of step with GOD.

[quote=Dr. Colossus]I am filled with great hope and joy when I hear someone complain that the Church is out of step with the modern world. It tells me that the Church is going exactly where it needs to go, and walking in the light of Truth.
[/quote]

Me too. I love it when people in the media criticized JPII and now Benedict XVI for not being too traditional and not modern enough.

[quote=Pentecost2005]The world is out of step with GOD.
[/quote]

The Church is not. Praise God for that!

DU

Yes, when the world is marching off a cliff, being out of step is exactly the right thing to be.

[quote=Pentecost2005]The world is out of step with GOD.
[/quote]

Tell me all 'bout it.:yup:

The modern world likes what is fashoinable not what is right. It says the Church is old and decadent because it cannot accept that going “backwards” is a step in the right direction.

As G.K. Chesterton said (in four different quotes):

A dead thing can go with the stream, but only a living thing can go against it.

The act of defending any of the cardinal virtues has today all the exhilaration of a vice.

Men invent new ideals because they dare not attempt old ideals. They look forward with enthusiasm, because they are afraid to look back.

The Christian ideal has not been tried and found wanting; it has been found difficult and left untried.

Yes, I laugh when I hear Protestant coworkers stating that the Catholic church needs to get MODERN,etc. They were hoping a very liberal Pope would be elected that would “catch us up with the times.”

I told them " It is not the Pope’s job to make members of the church happy. The Pope is there to serve God and teach God’s rules and to make God happy." Do these people really think that it is up to the Pope to make us happy by stating that NOTHING is a sin anymore, etc. Their ideas blow me away.

Karen

[quote=st julie]I often hear the comment that the Catholic Church is out of step with the modern world. I have come to believe that that is a true statement. The trouble with the world is that it is about 5 steps behind the Church and is doing everything in its’ power to drag it backwards. I personally know many young families who are in step with the Church and they are such a hopefull sign. I followed the message of the world and reaped the disastrous effects.

st julie
[/quote]

I think we are a few steps ahead. Pagan Rome on the other hand with it’s orgies, drunkeness, barbarianism, false gods, cruel sports and overall saddistic way of living was going on long before Christ established the Church. They need to catch up with us don’t ya think? Food for thought.

[quote=SWTHRT]Yes, I laugh when I hear Protestant coworkers stating that the Catholic church needs to get MODERN,etc. They were hoping a very liberal Pope would be elected that would “catch us up with the times.”

I told them " It is not the Pope’s job to make members of the church happy. The Pope is there to serve God and teach God’s rules and to make God happy." Do these people really think that it is up to the Pope to make us happy by stating that NOTHING is a sin anymore, etc. Their ideas blow me away.

Karen
[/quote]

Morality is not the doctrine of how we may make ourselves happy, but how we may make ourselves worthy of happiness.

-Immanuel Kant

[quote=VociMike]Yes, when the world is marching off a cliff, being out of step is exactly the right thing to be.
[/quote]

:thumbsup: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :thumbsup:

Did anybody else hear “Another Brick in The Wall” when reading this?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.