Outcry over disowned US rape girl

***Outcry over disowned US rape girl *

Offers of help are pouring in for an eight-year-old Liberian girl disowned by her own family in Phoenix, Arizona, after being raped by four boys.

The girl is under the care of the Arizona Child Protective Service (CPS) because her parents said she had shamed them, and they did not want her back.

Phoenix police said calls had come in from all over the US offering money, or even to adopt the young girl.

The boys, Liberian immigrants aged nine to 14, have been charged with rape. **

news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8168480.stm

Jesus Christ! How could these young boys be capable of doing this?? And I really worry about the conscience of all families involved.

The sad thing is that in many cultures this is what happens on a daily basis.
The number of rapes in our own country are staggering and the the consequences for the victim often unpleasant and uncharitable. My child was raped at a very young age. What happened? She told her ‘best’ friend who told her mother who then forbade her daughter any further contact with her and was telling everyone she could what a ‘bad’ girl my kid was.Which caused her to lose most of her friends which made her suicidal and led her to a path of self destruction that six years later she is finally getting free from.Iused to pray by her doorway every night for God to help her out of her darkness.Therapy helps but having an understanding and compassionate response to such a trauma may have prevented much hardache.

All I can do is pray for your daughter now. What a burden to put on a child and for this girl in Phoenix to run into an even deeper problem - that even her family is rejecting her at least your daughter once you found out has you!

Brenda V.

The fruits of Islam.

Praying that a Christian couple will adopt this sweet child and give her a loving home very soon!

Do not jump to conclusions. At first I thought that may be the case, but nowhere in the article does it say that they are Muslims.

However, it should be reviewed whether the parents should be sent back to Liberia.

:crossrc:I hope and pray that that girl has a happy life from now on and may she find love and peace that her family WILL NOT provide for her. As a female individual this makes me so sad for her :bighanky:

REALLY don’t jump to conclusions. I got a Catholic friend from Asia, whole family are devout. If she was raped she’d be forced to marry the rapist or be disowned.

That said, the poor girl… :frowning:

Guess that I can jump to the conclusion that they are NOT Catholic because the media would have plastered that everywhere…huh?

I hate to be blunt, but your friend’s family’s culture has a serious problem.

No matter how “devout” that family may be, they would still be wrong to disown their child for being the victim of a crime.

My heart goes out to the poor girl. Being a rape victim is still a stigma, even in the United States. I know, having been raped twice by strangers who broke into my home while I was asleep. The first time (27 years ago), I was a college student living on campus. After an evening with friends during which we all had some drinks, I went home–slightly tipsy–and fell asleep on the bed, fully clothed. I woke to find a man on top of me. I tried to fight him off but it was no use.

The rape itself was horrible enough, but then I made the mistake of reporting it to authorities, thereby starting a year-long nightmare which caused me to withdraw from the university and develop a drinking problem that I still have trouble with today. I went to the doctor only to be treated with contempt. The university police laughed about it, making much of the fact that I had had a few drinks and forgotten to lock my door, therefore I must have “wanted it” and then “changed my mind.”

University authorities cared nothing about my well-being. They were only concerned about how this incident would affect the colleges reputation. Police came into my classroom and my workplace at any hour, wanting me to come to the station to make statements. This caused rumors to be spread about me that I was dealing drugs, my friends started to avoid me, and my grades plummeted. I was treated as though I had done something wrong. The perpetrator then wrote a letter to police (anonymously) saying he just wanted sex and I was willing, further tarnishing my credibility. Much later, the guy was caught trying to sneak into another student’s apartment and attempt rape, so he did serve prison time.

Rape victims are still blamed and the perps get off scot-free, and it does not matter what culture you come from. It stems from the despicable attitude that women are less than men, and that the woman somehow did something to bring on the rape. The shame does not belong to that poor girl. The shame belongs to a society which treats women like dirt.

Amen! Thank you for sharing your story. :slight_smile:

I hope there aren’t laws preventing this child from being adopted.

Thats what happens when you have Christian people who refuse to let go of their pagan tradtions:D

… um that idea of marring your rapist is from the old testament. The other option was killing her and the rapist. You can not deny that law was established by God, so its not Pagan.

I’m really sorry about your daughter.

I have a sexual abuse history that started at a young age and went on for a while. I was abused at a “friend’s” house when we were 12. She then proceeded to tell other people not to talk to me, which they stopped doing. This was the 7th grade. I am not sure she told them about the assault; I don’t think so. She would have had to explain why she didn’t do anything to help. It’s a long story.

However, the damage that is done by rape, as bad as it can be, is not as great as the damage that is done by ostracizing people afterwards. It sends the message that you are damaged and there is no recovery. That statement is not true but it’s hard not to believe it when you are a pariah.

It seems that anyone who is “different” especially if their difference frightens people, get treated that way. I remember reading the Karen books, about the Killilea family with the girl with cerebral palsy. There were religious families who would not allow their children to play with Karen b/c they didn’t know why she was “that way.”

As for the girl who was disowned, I would like to see those parents forced to leave the US but I don’t know if there are legal grounds. I feel for her and I hope she gets help. Does anyone have an update for this situation? Has she been adopted?

What a horribly twisted logic and a false reality they create.
How do you deal with it?
How can they stop loving their daughter for something someone else did?

Amen!
When I read the story of Maria Goretii I wondered how kindly she would have been treated by her family and culture if she had survived? And all of the Church’s patron saints for rape victims died or accepted torture rather than submit (except St Zita, I don’t know what she’s doing in the group). What does that say to women who are trying to recover?

My child was raped at a very young age. What happened? She told her ‘best’ friend who told her mother who then forbade her daughter any further contact with her and was telling everyone she could what a ‘bad’ girl my kid was.Which caused her to lose most of her friends which made her suicidal and led her to a path of self destruction that six years later she is finally getting free from.

I am so sorry about your daughter.
My wife was abused by her father at a very young age and raped when she was sixteen so I know how horrible the aftereffects can be. I hope she continues to mae her way back.

[quote="juliamajor, post:2, topic:162974"]
The sad thing is that in many cultures this is what happens on a daily basis.
The number of rapes in our own country are staggering and the the consequences for the victim often unpleasant and uncharitable. My child was raped at a very young age. What happened? She told her 'best' friend who told her mother who then forbade her daughter any further contact with her and was telling everyone she could what a 'bad' girl my kid was.Which caused her to lose most of her friends which made her suicidal and led her to a path of self destruction that six years later she is finally getting free from.Iused to pray by her doorway every night for God to help her out of her darkness.Therapy helps but having an understanding and compassionate response to such a trauma may have prevented much hardache.

[/quote]

Your daughter will remain in my prayers.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.