Outdoor Mass

Good afternoon,

I just came from a mass held in the outdoors. There is a covered pavilion where the mass was celebrated and pews. There were no kneelers. During the portions of the mass when we would kneel parishioners stood. It felt wrong to me and I'd like to know if I should have kneeled regardless. Thank you.

Sorry, this probably wasn't the best place to post this.

I've been to parishes before (while traveling) that didn't have kneelers either, and also, we stood. Those who couldn't stand, sat down. There may have been some that still kneeled on the floor, but I couldn't see them. If you wish to kneel at a part which you normally would, I would see no harm in that. But personally, I would stand with everyone else to keep the unity in the communion of believers.

[quote="jreilly, post:1, topic:297957"]
Good afternoon,

I just came from a mass held in the outdoors. There is a covered pavilion where the mass was celebrated and pews. There were no kneelers. During the portions of the mass when we would kneel parishioners stood. It felt wrong to me and I'd like to know if I should have kneeled regardless. Thank you.

[/quote]

You could have, if you wanted to, but it was not necessary under the circumstances.

If you were personally able to kneel, you should have. The only people who are excused from kneeling in those situations are those who can not physically kneel in those situations.

Here is the official interpretation of the rubrics by the vatican on this matter:

*21. QUERY 3: In some places kneelers have been taken out of the churches. Thus, the people can only stand or sit and this detracts from the reverence and adoration due to the Eucharist.

REPLY: The appointments of a place of worship have some relationship to the customs of the particular locale. For example, in the East there are carpets; in the Roman basilicas, only since modern times, there are usually chairs without kneelers, so as to accommodate large crowds.* There is nothing to prevent the faithful from kneeling on the floor to show their adoration, no matter how uncomfortable this may be.* In cases where kneeling is not possible (see GIRM no. 21), a deep bow and a respectful bearing are signs of the reverence and adoration to be shown at the time of the consecration and communion: Not 14 (1978) 302-303, no. 4.

The best thing to do is kneel, if you are able. There were probably other people there who also wanted to kneel but didn't want to be the only one. I attended a parish in Wisconsin for a few months that had no kneelers. :eek: Everyone was standing during the Eucharist, which felt completely wrong to me. So, I just knelt on the floor. Then some other people started kneeling too. I guess they figured that if I can get my fat butt down there and back up, they don't have an excuse. Turns out, I like kneeling on the floor better. THe angle and added pressure of kneeling on the kneelers is uncomfortable for my knees, but I don't experience this kneeling on the floor. When I'm cantoring, I have to kneel on the tile, so I bring in a chair cushion I keep in my trunk, so I don't get my dress pants dusty.

I would've knelt. It would've felt wrong not to.

Thank you, I will next time for sure. It did feel wrong, and for good reason.

Kneeling shows our repect to Jesus presence in the Eucharist I would definitly kneel to do that if I physically could. I have been to very reverent outdoor masses where everyone knelt even if they were on top of tree roots.:p

[quote="littlepilgrim, post:9, topic:297957"]
Kneeling shows our repect to Jesus presence in the Eucharist I would definitly kneel to do that if I physically could. I have been to very reverent outdoor masses where everyone knelt even if they were on top of tree roots.:p

[/quote]

Exactly! That's a perfect time for a priest to say something to the effect of "since Holy Mother Church asks us to kneel, please kneel at this time, if you are physically able." That whole thing when priests just say "oh, there's no kneelers, so we can all stand" just gets me frustrated...

[quote="superamazingman, post:10, topic:297957"]
Exactly! That's a perfect time for a priest to say something to the effect of "since Holy Mother Church asks us to kneel, please kneel at this time, if you are physically able." That whole thing when priests just say "oh, there's no kneelers, so we can all stand" just gets me frustrated...

[/quote]

What other people do or don't do ought not cause anyone any frustration. If one kneels to show God respect then kneel, and be glad for the opportunity. Humility, though, begins inside, and a person can be really humble without even showing it, while another can be prideful and make a big show of being humble on the outside.

[quote="jreilly, post:1, topic:297957"]
Good afternoon,

[/quote]

It would have been nice if the celebrant had offered instruction but that did not happen.

In the case of outdoor Masses there are things that come into play: Were the pews constructed in a way that allowed you to extend your legs behind you if you did kneel? What kind of ground surface did you have? Concrete or brick? Dirt? Mud? Dry grass? Pea gravel? Decomposed granite? Broken glass?

[quote="SMHW, post:12, topic:297957"]
It would have been nice if the celebrant had offered instruction but that did not happen.

In the case of outdoor Masses there are things that come into play: Were the pews constructed in a way that allowed you to extend your legs behind you if you did kneel? What kind of ground surface did you have? Concrete or brick? Dirt? Mud? Dry grass? Pea gravel? Decomposed granite? Broken glass?

[/quote]

There were pews and I think there was space underneath (I don't really remember, but I believe they were open at the bottom). There was a cement floor.

I was only about 5 rows back, and I know that there were a ton of people behind me. Those in the front tended to be older, so maybe there were many people behind me kneeling; since I didn't look behind me I have no way of knowing.

It's at the Kateri Shrine. I'll know for the next time I go. Thanks.

closed #14

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.