OUTRAGE! CALL E-BAY-- heres the number

In case you havent heard, 2 people on e-bay the past few days were selling CONSECRATED hosts–as in the body, blood, soul, and divinity of Our Lord Jesus Christ–online!!

Thankfully, one of the sellers gave into our emails and removed his host, although we dont know what he did with it after that. The second seller refused to remove his . . . but, by the grace of God, a very devout Catholic PURCHASED the precious body for $2,000!!! He has assured us that he is going to take it to the proper church authorities. Please remember to say a prayer and ask God to bless “Oz”, the man who saved Jesus from evil ebay people.

Unfortunately this is probably going to set a new standard. People have seen just how much money Catholics will pay to save their Lord-- which is good. But it’s sad that now we might start seeing more of this, UNLESS WE DO SOMETHING.

So, below I have ACTUAL PHONE NUMBERS WITH REAL PEOPLE!!! you can use to call e-bay and express your outrage:

1-800-322-9266
1-888-749-3229

or snail mail:
2145 Hamilton Avenue, # 350
San Jose, CA 95125

or, you can email them online, but I dont think thats very effective. Be warned that the phone people dont generally like when people call them. they want you to email first. But dont let them hang up without hearing you! Ask ebay to PLEASE add Hosts to the “banned items” list, and to make sure that this BLASPHEMY never happens again!

Here is the seller’s info (who ended up selling the Host):

Name: diversifiedsolutions
Ended: Apr-11-05 18:55:25 PDTStart time: Apr-09-05 16:41:49 PDT
Item number: 6169851381

link to actual post: cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6169851381

THAT SHOULD BE MORE THAN ENOUGH INFO. PLEASE CALL EBAY–FLOOD THEIR PHONELINES–AND LET THEM KNOW THIS CANNOT HAPPEN AGAIN!

what a shame!

Here is some more people to complain to

Originally Posted by Lisa4Catholics
*info@frmcgivneyassembly.o rg
This is the Catholic action League e-mail
document.write(“JScarborough”+"@"+“msnbc.com”); [email=“JScarborough@msnbc.com”]JScarborough@msnbc.com[/email]
Joe Scarborough on MSNBC,I do not know if he is Catholic,but he spoke highly of the Pope and supported Terri,keep it in my when you e-mail him.God Bless
hannity@foxnews.com
From Hannity and Colmes lets *

This is a list of organizations I have contacted:

America Magazine
The Archdiocese of Milwaukee
Biblical Foundations International
Catholic Apologetics International
Catholic Answers
Catholic Family News Magazine
Catholic League for Religious and Civil Rights (I recommended they start a petition to add this to eBay’s ban list)
CRISIS Magazine
Culture Wars Magazine
eBay
Envoy Magazine
Laywitness Magazine
The Latin Mass Magazine
The Remnant Magazine
U.S. Catholic Magazine
ZENIT News Service

So no need to do them again, folks.

Btw. Should we Catholics try to pool money to get that other fellow to surrender his Host?

[quote=challenger]This is a list of organizations I have contacted:

America Magazine
The Archdiocese of Milwaukee
Biblical Foundations International
Catholic Apologetics International
Catholic Answers
Catholic Family News Magazine
Catholic League for Religious and Civil Rights (I recommended they start a petition to add this to eBay’s ban list)
CRISIS Magazine
Culture Wars Magazine
eBay
Envoy Magazine
Laywitness Magazine
The Latin Mass Magazine
The Remnant Magazine
U.S. Catholic Magazine
ZENIT News Service

So no need to do them again, folks.

Btw. Should we Catholics try to pool money to get that other fellow to surrender his Host?
[/quote]

Bravo!!!:clapping: The first one says she or he will turn the host over to a priest but it will not hurt to follow up on this to be sure.

Just out of curiosity, how can you tell if the host was consecrated?

My uncle is a retired Carmelite priest. When he visits my parents home, he brings the unconsecrated wafers in a box, and then uses however many are needed when he holds services in my parents dining room. (He does this because both of my parents are old, and my father is practically an invalid who cannot attend services at a church.)

I have access to the last box he left here which contains the unconsecrated wafers. If I were to put one of them up for sale on ebay, and **claim **it was consecrated, how could you know I was telling the truth?

Thal59

Eeesh…

Now that’s a scary question to ponder…what’s the appropriate price to pay for a consecrated host? :hmmm: :ehh:

[quote=Thal59]Just out of curiosity, how can you tell if the host was consecrated?

My uncle is a retired Carmelite priest. When he visits my parents home, he brings the unconsecrated wafers in a box, and then uses however many are needed when he holds services in my parents dining room. (He does this because both of my parents are old, and my father is practically an invalid who cannot attend services at a church.)

I have access to the last box he left here which contains the unconsecrated wafers. If I were to put one of them up for sale on ebay, and **claim **it was consecrated, how could you know I was telling the truth?

Thal59
[/quote]

Better yet how do you know it has not been consecrated:eek:

The guy has the official programme with the date on it.

[quote=the Hatter]Eeesh…

Now that’s a scary question to ponder…what’s the appropriate price to pay for a consecrated host? :hmmm: :ehh:
[/quote]

Well, the current price of silver is at about $7.24 USD, so I guess $7.24*30~$217? $217 should be about 30 silver pieces…

(this is a terrible joke)

He could have gone to the Mass, gotten the program, and later on purchased an unconsecrated wafer and passed it off as the Real Thing, in order to fool us devout Catholics. At any rate, it’s a good thing that the situation turned out this way…but then again, wouldn’t giving money to these people just encourage them more?

At any rate, the poor soul who trafficked in the Body of the Lord should be pitied. It’s much more grievous to commit injustice than to suffer it, and whatever he or the people who would have bought It would have done to desecrate the Host would just be hurting their souls in the end.

Hey, yes, I was disturbed by eBay and just made my post to the discussion forum. My response is as below as unfortunately commercial identities usually respond better to lawful arguments rather than moral appeals. It is extremely sad, and hopefully eBay will take notice of the posts.

Dear Ebay,
To allow someone to place Communion up for grabs on an auction surely violates ethical norms as well as Ebay’s own policies. Not only is it “offensive material”, the seller cannot confirm the authenticity of the item placing the auction under Ebay’s policies regarding “misleading titles” and “conterfeit” as the owner surely cannot receive the endoresement or even ackowledgement from the Catholic Church, Vatican or the recently deceased Pope John Paul II. Unless the seller fell under the provisions of Canon Law (CIC 844 § 4) for reception by non-Catholic Christians or unless authorized to transport the Eucharist by the appropriate authorities of the sovereign state of the Holy See, the seller making the listing engaged (knowingly or unkowingly) in the trafficking of “stolen goods” upon leaving the sovereign state with the Holy Communion without permission. If the seller knowingly removed the host from the Holy See wihout prior proof of authorization, the sale of the Holy Communion may fall under the Federal Criminal Code (18 U.S.C. § 2315 2B1.1 ) and the Commercial Code of the State of New Jersy, where eBay, Inc. is incorporated, for the sale and transportation of stolen goods. I ask that eBay pursue policies in the future to remove patently offensive materials and prevent such listings in which the sellers participate. Generally, a seller cannot sell goods without rights explicitly or implicitly conveyed. I do now want to see eBay’s good name implicated as an accesory to immoral and unlawful sales.
Sincerely,
~slinky1882

[quote=The Augustinian]He could have gone to the Mass, gotten the program, and later on purchased an unconsecrated wafer and passed it off as the Real Thing, in order to fool us devout Catholics.
[/quote]

Yes, that’s true, but I’m saying, if he has the program, the chances of it being authentic are much more likely than if he just made a random claim.

what is it excatly he is selling? what is a CONSECRATED hosts?

a consecratd host means it has been changed, by a preist or bishop, from the physical substance of bread, to the substance of the Body of Jesus Himself.

fyi, you can buy boxes of hosts at any good catholic bookstore http://forums.catholic.com/images/icons/icon6.gif

[quote=jax8686]fyi, you can buy boxes of hosts at any good catholic bookstore
[/quote]

Just to clarify for the person asking the question, you can by UNCONSECRATED hosts; that is, the wafers made of bread which are later consecrated during a Mass.

For those who ask how much money a consecrated host is worth; the answer is $0.

The reception of the body and blood of Christ is free, monetarily speaking. Place any monetary value on it and you are equally guilty of desecrating it. Don’t make the mistake of thinking that all consecrated hosts have been received worthily or properly. Many times a host, or quantity of consecrated wine, has been wasted or defiled.

Whether the body and blood of Christ brings grace and redemption, or judgement depends upon the heart of the one receiving it. While it is proper to task ebay not to allow such auctions to occur, the answer is to not participate in the sacriledge in any way at all.

Whoever is guilty of the offense in the first place, will pay far more later on than he could ever receive from a tainted auction.

Thal59

i have already post my reply to the catholic league, thanks for the info

this is the post on e bay, (the original from the seller)

Fist of all, I AM NOT CATHOLIC AND DO NOT BELIEVE I’M GOING TO HELL FOR SELLING THIS COLLECTIBLE. So, if you’re going to send me a message saying that I am don’t waist your time because it’ll just be deleted w/o being read. It’s a momento from that great afternoon with Pope John Paul II. Yes, this is the actual Eucharist I saved during the mass that I participated in on October 18th, 1998. I ate one wafer then I went back and got another one to save and he gave me another one, but I did get a very dirty look! I was studying in Florence that semester and a bunch of us went down to Rome that week to partake. I’m not Catholic, but I found it all very interesting. Along with the Eucharist, I have the program from that day and a litte bulletin. It’s all in Italian. I also have 4 stamps from the Vatican that year and a bottle opener that I bought when I was in Rome way back in 1992. From what I understand, if you’re holding something in your hand during a certain moment when Pope John Paul II spoke during his mass, whetever it becomes blessed. I was holding this bottle opener during mass with him in 1992. It has his picture on one side and a picture of the Trevi Fountain on the other. Everything from 1998 (Eucharist, bulletin, program, and stamps, have been encased in plastic in my stratch book since then and have not had much light and no air. All in awesome condition and I believe extrememly rare for obvious reasons. I’ve included a pic of 2 pics I took that day in 1998 when I was there. The front of St. Peter’s was already being cleaned up for the big 2000 festivities and my other pic would have been great instead for my friend’s hand in the way! I would like to sell them as a package but would consider seperate offers. These truly are great pieces of history!

first, he is not catholic
second, he took comunon and then went back for the one on sale

i know we most show cortesy on this forum but:… ITS SO DIFICULT RIGHT NOW

We need to demand that e-bay stop this sort of sale regardless of whether the host is consecrated or not. If the host is consecrated, then putting it up for sale is an outrageous sacrilege. If it is not consecrated, and the seller claims that it is, the seller is committing fraud. Either way, it should not be allowed to continue.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.