Outrageous!

A jehovah’s witness said that these are the results they got from a catholic school,

[font=Tahoma]Thank goodness for My Book of Bible Stories book and Listening To The Great Teacher![/font]

[font=Arial]The following answers allegedly come from a Catholic schools where children were tested about their knowledge of the “Old” and “New” Testaments. The answers have not been corrected and include original spelling mistakes: [/font][font=Arial][/font]

[font=Arial]1. IN THE FIRST BOOK OF THE BIBLE, GINESSIS. GOD GOT TIRED OF CREATING THE WORLD SO HE TOOK A SABATH OFF. [/font]

[font=Arial][/font]

[font=Arial]2. ADAM AND EVE WERE CREATED FROM AN APPLE TREE. NOAH’S WIFE WAS JOAN OF ARK. NOAH BUILT AND [/font]

[font=Arial][/font]

[font=Arial]3. LOTS WIFE WAS A PILLAR OF SALT DURING THE DAY, BUT A BALL OF FIRE DURING THE NIGHT. [/font]

[font=Arial][/font]

[font=Arial]4. THE JEWS WERE A PROUD PEOPLE AND THROUGH HISTORY THEY HAD TROUBLE WITH GENITILS. [/font]

[font=Arial][/font]

[font=Arial]5. SAMPSON WAS A STRONGMAN WHO LET HIMSELF BE LED ASTRAY BY A JEZABEL LIKE DELILAH. [/font]

[font=Arial][/font]

[font=Arial]6. SAMSON SLAYD THE FILISTINES WITH THE AXE OF THE APOSALS. [/font]

[font=Arial][/font]

[font=Arial]7. MOSES LED THE JEWS TO THE WHERE THEY MADE UNLEVANED BREAD WHICH IS BREAD WITHOUT ANYTHING IN IT. [/font]

[font=Arial][/font]

[font=Arial]8, THE EGYPTIANS WERE ALL DROWNED IN A DESSERT. AFTERWARDS, MOSES WENT UP TO TO GET THE TEN COMMANDMENTS. [/font]

[font=Arial][/font]

[font=Arial]9. THE FIRST COMMANDMENTS WAS WHEN EVE TOLD ADAM TO EAT A APPLE. [/font]

[font=Arial][/font]

[font=Arial]10. THE SEVENTH COMMANDMENT IS THOU SHALT NOT ADMIT ADULTERY. [/font]

[font=Arial][/font]

[font=Arial]11. THE GREATEST MIRICLE IN THE BIBLE IS WHEN JOSHUA TOLD HIS SON TO STAND STILL AND HE OBEYED HIM. [/font]

[font=Arial][/font]

[font=Arial]12. DAVID WAS A HEBREW KING WHO WAS GOOD AT PLAYING A LIAR. HE FOUGHT THE FINKELSTEINS, PEOPLE WHO LIVED IN BIBLE TIMES. [/font]

[font=Arial][/font]

[font=Arial]13. SOLOMON, ONE OF DAVIDS SONS, HAD 300 WIVES AND 700 PORCUPINES. [/font]

[font=Arial][/font]

[font=Arial]14. WHEN MARY HEARD SHE WAS THE MOTHER OF JESUS, SHE SANG THE MAGNA CARTA. [/font]

[font=Arial][/font]

[font=Arial]15. WHEN THREE WISE GUYS FROM THE EAST SIDE ARRIVED THEY FOUND JESUS IN A STABLE MANAGER. [/font]

[font=Arial][/font]

[font=Arial]16. JESUS WAS BORN BECAUSE MARY HAD AN IMACULAT CONTRAPTION. [/font]

[font=Arial][/font]

[font=Arial]17. THE BLACKSMITH DUMPED WATER ON HIS HEAD. [/font]

[font=Arial][/font]

[font=Arial]18. JESUS PREACHED THE GOLDEN RULE, WHICH SAYS TO DO UNTO OTHERS BEFORE THEY DO IT TO YOU. HE ALSO SAID A MAN DOTH NOT LIVE BY SWEAT ALONE. [/font]

[font=Arial][/font]

[font=Arial]19. IT WAS A MIRICLE WHEN JESUS ROSE FROM THE DEAD AND MANAGED TO GET THE OFF THE ENTRANCE. [/font]

[font=Arial][/font]

[font=Arial][font=Arial][size=2][font=Arial][/font]
[/font][/size][/font]

[font=Arial]20. THE PEOPLE WHO FOLLOWED THE LORD WERE CALLED THE 12 DECIBALS. [/font]

[font=Arial][/font]

[font=Arial]21. THE EPISTELS WERE THE WIVES OF THE APOSTLES. [/font]

[font=Arial][/font]

[font=Arial]22. ONE OF THE OPOSSUMS WAS ST. MATTHEW WHO WAS ALSO A TAXIMAN. [/font]

[font=Arial][/font]

[font=Arial]23. CAVORTED TO CHRISTIANITY, HE PREACHED HOLY ACRAMONY WHICH IS ANOTHER NAME FOR MARRAIGE[/font]

[font=Arial][font=Arial][size=2][font=Arial]24. CHRISTIANS ARE ALLOWED TO HAVE ONLY ONE WIFE. THIS IS CALLED MONOTONY. [/font]

[font=Arial][/font]
[font=Arial][/font]
[font=Arial][/font]
[font=Arial]What do you guys think? How dare they make this up about us! and even worse many jw’s actually ***Believe ***that catholic school students are like that![/font]
[font=Arial][/font]
[font=Arial]I myself go to a catholic school and not even primary school students would reply like that![/font]
[font=Arial][/font]
[font=Arial]Evanescence[/font]
[/font][/size][/font]

Honestly, having had five children, I don’t see that there’s anything terrible about the childrens’ misuderstandings. :wink:

Ramona (a Beverly Clearly character) heard “by the dawnzer lee light” in the Star Spangled Banner. Children get things mixed up and they say such things - even well-taught children. Art Linkletter’s favorite segments were those with children who said what was on their minds - much to the chagrin of their red-faced parents, at times. :wink:

What I find outrageous is that they point this out as some sort of lack of knowledge that wouldn’t be found to an even greater degree among jw’s!

Let us go into a school and find a hundred jw’s children and have them answer similar questions, as long as we’re poking fun at religions based on “out-of-the-mouths-of-babes” type humor.

I have no doubt that we’d have some REAL lalapaloozas! :wink:

Elizabeth

I just don’t like the fact that the jw’s made this up and is using it against us and comparing catholics knowledge to their knowledge!

I mean fair enough if it was a primary school student, you can’t expect them to do long multiplication or Triganometry can you?

I havn’t ever seen a Jehovah’s witness school, I’ve seen public schools, and Catholic schools but none other.

Evanescence

[quote=Evanescence]I just don’t like the fact that the jw’s made this up and is using it against us and comparing catholics knowledge to their knowledge!

I mean fair enough if it was a primary school student, you can’t expect them to do long multiplication or Triganometry can you?

I havn’t ever seen a Jehovah’s witness school, I’ve seen public schools, and Catholic schools but none other.

Evanescence
[/quote]

I seriously doubt this list was created by a Jehovah’s Witness to smear the Catholic Church. I have seen this same list of goofy children’s sayings passed around the internet for years. Each time I get it in my email or on a list-serve, the introduction is slightly different-- one time it is children in a Bible study class; another it is children’s answers from a religious exam; another time it is a group of Baptist children at Sunday school. This is the first time I have heard it was a JW survey of Catholic school children, however. I mean, think about it-- a JW going into a Catholic school to survey the children on their knowledge of the Bible? Come on.

PS-- I just did a quick Google search, and apparently the list was compiled by author Richard Lederer for a column he wrote in National Review in 1995. The claim is that they are from student essays, but he does not identify where, what grade, or any religious affiliation of any of the students.

i come from a small town in Australia, and there is a catholic primary school. which has a very good reputation, even as good as non catholics sending their children to it. there are even some jewish kids who go there.

I just found a link to the original column by Richard Lederer in the National Review, Dec 31, 1995.

What’s really strange is they actually get people to convert! They have the hardest heads I’ve ever known people to have, besides my 21 year old! LOL!

Catholic school? What grade? Third? Eleventh? Makes all the difference.

[quote=misterX]i come from a small town in Australia, and there is a catholic primary school. which has a very good reputation, even as good as non catholics sending their children to it. there are even some jewish kids who go there.
[/quote]

It’s been happening for a long time. I went to Catholic primary school in the 1960’s. We had Jewish students and others. The Church doesn’t put them through any religious training as it does the Catholic students. It does provide more exceptional schoolig due to smaller class size and teacher qualifications. The tuition charged covers all the needs, so community school budgets aren’t an issue. The students have all they need.

Subrosa

Kids will write some of the most outrageous things. Half the fun of teaching in a grade school (and sometimes even in a high school) is to see some of the BS that comes to mind when kids are put on the spot to come up with an answer (and they think ANY) answer.

The last thing anyone wants to do is leave a question blank or unanswered.

What is more ridiculous is that anyone, whether JW or any other group, would use such drivel as proof or evidence of teaching (or lack of teaching) in the Church or as representative of what another faith believes. Such a practice is irresponsible and deceptive.

Our Catholic schools do a great job of teaching the faith and whether a few students miss a lesson (or fail to study for a test) or make something up on a test or for a home work assignemnt, does not detract from their reputation.

The clearest objective measure of this is the demand for students both Catholic and non-Catholic who apply to enter our schools. Our schools are the best in the world for both teaching the Catholic faith and for a great education overall. IF such nonsense were being taught in our schools, that is one thing but clearly it is not, so hats off to our Catholic schools and all their teachers :tiphat:

My first grader thought that Rush Limbaugh was the president…

[quote=Lillith]My first grader thought that Rush Limbaugh was the president…
[/quote]

Who knows in a few years, he could be right…:bigyikes:

If these were 8th graders or high schoolers I’d be worried, but these are obviously written by really young children.

Remember every year there’s a story on how they asked elementary children the steps to cook a turkey on thanksgiving. You get the same kinds of answers.

At that age these children are learning so much, they get confused easily.

I’ve read these before and laughed out loud. Leave it to the jws to tack a “Catholic” reading on it. They only mouth what their “elders” and Brooklyn tells them so if you are confronted with this, just tell them the truth - it’s a 10 year old compilation found on the internet and they can look it up if they want.

Probably won’t have any takers though…jws seldom have computers (too worldly), they are trained to never question what they’ve been told and have absolutely no sense of humor.

…and don’t forget Olive, the other reindeer. :smiley:

Seriously, nobody on their right mind would take that stuff seriously. :smiley:

Ten years ago I taught 7th grade in South Carolina. Each day we would say the Pledge of Allegiance. One day students wrote down the words. Things like “I pledge to Lee Jeans…” were on their papers.

This list has been around forever. I think it was probably old when the '95 article came out…

One of the ones I remember hearing about as “having just happened” at (whatever) school was the children singing God Bless America: “Stand beside her, & guide her, through the night with a light from;) a bulb”.

My mother used to teach my sunday school class when I was in the “under 5 years old” catagory.

One year, as Christmas was approaching, my mother asked the children to draw a picture depecting a Christmas carol. One child drew a snowman, a lady and a baby. My mom was thinking he drew Frosty the snowman, but when she asked who the lady and baby were, he said that was Mary and Jesus, so she asked about the snowman and he said “That’s Round John Virgin, Mother and Child”.

My mother was to tickled she didn’t have the heart to correct him. :slight_smile:

I think we have proof in this thread tat the JW leaflet is a fraud.

Why not expose them on it?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.