Over 1,000 Clerics Want Abortion Access in Health Care Bill

More than 1,100 clerics and religious professionals want U.S. Senators to provide women with access to abortion as lawmakers consider new amendments that would cut coverage for the procedure.

The Religious Institute released an open letter that maintains that abortion is a “morally justifiable decision” that should be left to women to decide. The letter is a response to amendments in the Senate that would cut abortion coverage in private insurance plans that receive federal funding.

“Already, federal policy unfairly prevents low-income women and federal employees from receiving subsidized reproductive health services, but the new proposals would mean that even more women and families would lose access to these vital services,” said the Rev. Debra W. Haffner, executive director of the Religious Institute.

Haffner added, “Placing restrictions on private insurance plans that make abortion accessible to women represents a serious moral injustice.”

The letter itself contends that the sanctity of human life is “best upheld” when it is made carefully, not when women are “coerced to carry a pregnancy to term.”

Religious denominations that have endorsed the letter include: American Baptist Churches, Church of the Brethren, Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.), United Church of Christ, and The United Methodist Church, among others.

Supporters of access to abortion call on government leaders to respect religious differences on the contentious issue.

The open letter is a sharp contrast to the more publicized voice of conservative Christians who have demanded that no public funding go towards abortion. Pro-life groups have organized formidable grassroots campaigns that have barraged Congress and the White House with petitions demanding that any health care reform clearly prohibit tax dollars from paying for abortions.

Despite President Obama and some Democratic leaders assuring that no federal funds will go towards abortion, pro-life leaders continue to believe the current health reform bills would allow the government to pay for the procedure.

Pro-life leaders, as well as some Democratic leaders, have accused President Obama of misleading the public about abortion funding.

"President Obama continued to mislead the American people by casually dismissing the concerns of millions of Americans who have deep moral objections to their tax dollars paying for abortions,” said Tony Perkins, president of the Family Research Council, after Obama’s speech at the joint session of Congress in September.

"It’s surprising the President continues to claim that ‘no federal dollars’ will fund abortion particularly after this assertion was widely disputed weeks ago by FactCheck.org along with reporters and columnists at the Associated Press, Time Magazine, and The Washington Post,” Perkins said. “Even supporters of the President such as Democratic Congressman Bart Stupak, Rev. Jim Wallis, and Congresswoman Zoe Lofgren agree that the current health care plans include abortion coverage with federal dollars.”

According to a new Rasmussen survey, nearly half of Americans (48 percent) believe any government-subsidized health care plan should be prohibited from covering abortions. Only 13 percent believe such plans should be required to cover abortions and 32 percent took a neutral approach saying no requirements should be set for either direction.

The Religious Institute, which supports giving women access to abortion, claims to represent more than 4,800 clerics and religious leaders and more than 40 religious denominations and organizations.

christianpost.com/article/20091002/over-1-000-clergies-want-abortion-access-in-healthcare-bill/index.html

It’s still evil and unGodly.

GAHHHHH.

All I could think of after reading this was, who’s their patron saint? Judas Iscariot???

Wow. That is disgusting! How can someone possibly be pro-abortion and still call themselves religious… unless of course they are a satanist or something??? :(:mad: Lord, have mercy on us all! :crossrc:

This sounds like a great intention for saying the divine mercy :o
Satan divided and he has conquered. We need to cling to our one true God who’s being mocked by these hellhounds. Imagine… how could they? How could they say that ripping a child out of the womb and mutilating them beyond recognition is morally justifiable? Excuse me while I throw up. And I’ll offer it up to God for the conversion of their souls :crossrc:

The Religious Institute released an open letter that maintains that abortion is a “morally justifiable decision” that should be left to women to decide. The letter is a response to amendments in the Senate that would cut abortion coverage in private insurance plans that receive federal funding.

Morally justifiable? It is murder! Human life beings at conception. The science is clear cut.

“Zygote. This cell, formed by the union of an ovum and a sperm represents the beginning of a human being.”

(Moore, Keith L. and Persaud, T.V.N. Before We Are Born: Essentials of Embryology and Birth Defects. 4th
edition. Philadelphia: W.B. Saunders Company, 1993, p. 1)

“By all the criteria of modern molecular biology, life is present from the moment of conception.”

(Professor Hymie Gordon - Mayo Clinic) Source: (Subcommittee on Separation of Powers to Senate Judiciary Committee S-158, Report, 97th Congress, 1st Session, 1981)

“Physicians, biologists, and other scientists agree that conception marks the beginning of the life of a human being—a being that is alive and is a member of the human species. There is overwhelming agreement on this point in countless medical, biological, and scientific writings.”

(Report, Subcommittee on Separation of Powers to Senate Judiciary Committee S-158, 97th Congress, 1st Session 1981, 7.)

Religious denominations that have endorsed the letter include: American Baptist Churches, Church of the Brethren, Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.), United Church of Christ, and The United Methodist Church, among others.

More heresy!

“You must not murder a child via abortion.” - Didache (50-70 AD)

What this group is to Protestants, Catholics United, Leadership Conference of Women Religious, Catholics for Choice and cafeterias are to Rome.

I’m just happy not to have seen Frs Jenkins or O’Brien on the list…

I read through this and was worried that the Catholic church would be mentioned as one of the supporters due to the various oddball ‘Catholic’ groups out there.

Is it possible these other churches were painted in the light of what the fruitiest among them do?

They needn’t worry unduly. It’s highly unlikely that this congress will pass a healthcare bill which will not fund abortion.

Funny enough, on a recent trip to Mexico, we found a Catholic church on the square in Cozumel and there is indeed a statue to St. Judas.

I would post a picture, but I guess this forum does not allow images. The statue is labeled San Judas Tadeo.

I’m really surprised at the groups listed. I thought some of them were pro life.

Not the same Judas.

St. Jude Thaddeus, one of the Apostles and a relative of Jesus. (Not Judas Iscariot)

This is one of the main reasons why I left the protestant church. Oh well. I’ll inform my Grandmother of this. She is a pro-life American Baptist and she will be intrested to know what her denomination is up to.

I think that we need to remember that there are many off shoot protestant groups that would identify themselves as following their churches documents but only spreed lies. Much like the groups we have here in the CC. There are many many wolves in sheep clothing. The media loves these groups and tries to portray them as the level headed family members. We should know better.

They need our prayers that they will wake up to their lies before it is too late. My heart breaks for these lost souls.

The forum does allow images. i have been to that Church many times although I usually go to mass at the Church out by the Super Mercardo.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.