Over 40s 'have more babies' than under 20s

bbc.com/news/health-36782323

Women over 40 are having more babies than the under 20s for the first time in nearly 70 years, official figures for England and Wales show.
The Office for National Statistics data showed there were 697,852 live births in 2015.
There were 15.2 births per 1,000 women aged over 40, compared with just 14.5 per 1,000 women in their teens.
The last time the over 40s had the higher fertility rate was in 1947, in the wake of WWII.

This article continues online.

Probably due entirely to deferring children. Women over 40 are not more fertile naturally than those in their late teens.

Something I can understand. Corporate entities can be unkind to women deciding to start families. Some choose to wait until getting their careers more established.

Well that and of course the big push to end teen pregnancy in the west. Anyone school age, ie: 18 and under, is usually included in that so that really only leaves one year in the teens (19 yrs old) where it’s considered socially even remotely acceptable to be having kids. Conversely having kids over 40 has no real social stigma and most women are able to have kids for many years into their 40’s depending when menopause sets in (typically 45 to 55).

The original post is misleading
More babies are not necessarily being born to over 40year olds than under 20 year olds
Only the rate per 1000 women of each sge group is higher
I would suspect women under 20 out number women over 40
Interesting way to present a statistic.
1947 was an interesting anomaly ,caused by the post war baby boom.

This statistic does not surprise me either.
Lots of programmes are geared towards reducing the rate of teenage pregnancies. And if you are in high school up to ~17-18 yr old, and then want to move on to uni (up to ~21-22 yr old) doesnt leave much room for having a child. Having a child before you are 20 means life will be a little harder. Not surprised the rate is getting higher in 40 somethings.

It also says something about the economics of things now, though. Granted, I grew up in a pretty primitive part of the U.S., but high school grads were then considered to be full adults. Some few went from there to college. Some went into the military. The rest married very early, usually right after h.s. graduation. The young men went into jobs they could (then) pretty much count on for life and could financially support a family on the income.

That’s not as true as it once was. H.S. grads do not consider themselves fully mature adults, and they aren’t. But regardless, the job picture isn’t as easy to enter, isn’t as stable, and doesn’t pay as well. Lots of the kinds of jobs young men went into back when I graduated don’t pay enough to support a family now. Some jobs are just plain gone, largely overseas.

Economics mean a lot when it comes to child bearing and child rearing. I recall reading that before the Famine in Ireland, the average age of male marriage was something like 18. After the Famine, it was over 30.

Yep things have changed economically and socially with regard to having kids in the teen years. God willing it will stay that way and the teen pregnancy rate will continue to crater as it has the last 30 years.

The over 40’s are probably not be having their first babies at that age. I was almost 40 when my youngest was born.

I know a handful of older moms personally.

My grandmother and three of her sisters all had babies one year. They were 46, 44 and 43. This was in 1934.

I don’t know, in my wife’s prenatal class of 12 only one couple was in their 20’s. The rest were all mid 30’s or later. And this was a first time parent class. Seems quite a few women were waiting until almost 40 to start.

My 40 year old daughter just had her first child which just happens to be the cutest baby ever!

This should not be bad. Let’s be honest with ourselves, let’s see the truth as it is. Guys in puberty, they want to have sex with anything, and they will tell a girl “i Love you, your the world to me”, have sex with her and in some cases get them pregnant and bolt.

Have them be patient, get their school, get a good career. If the person whom they get with/married decides to not keep their end, then the women is settled, and not have to put a burden on the family.

Meanhwile for that guy, they shouldn’t be allwoed to procreate again.

:):):slight_smile:
Congratulations,Grandad!!

No, most women aren’t able to have kids for many years into their 40’s. After 40, a woman’s chances of getting pregnant fall like a rock each year. By the age of 45, it’s almost zero.

As a comparison in my prenatal class back in the 70s my wife and I were 24 and we were the oldest couple in the class

Padres is correct. As long as a woman still has a menstrual cycle, conception is still possible.

When a woman enters her mid-40’s and beyond, it can become more difficult for her to conceive, but it’s still not impossible.

As I mentioned in a past post, I had a friend whose mother had him when she was in her late 40’s. When I knew him, he was in his 20’s and his Mom was in her 60’s.

No, Padres is not correct. And fertility ends about a decade before menopause. This is medical science. You may know of a single person here or there who has conceived naturally after 45, but they are EXTREMELY rare.

webmd.com/baby/features/fertility-101

Fertility peaks in your 20s. Most women hit their fertile peak between the ages of 23 and 31, though the rate at which women conceive begins to dip slightly in their late 20s. Around age 31, fertility starts to drop more quickly — by about 3 percent per year until you hit 35 or so. From there, the decline accelerates. “The average 39-year-old woman has half the fertility she had at 31, and between 39 and 42, the chances of conceiving drop by half again,” says Adamson. Approximately one in four women age 35 or older have trouble getting pregnant.

The average woman can have a baby until age 41, but that’s no guarantee. Your ability to naturally conceive a child ends about 10 years before menopause, but “we do not have good tests to predict when that life change will occur,” says Adamson. While the average age at which women deliver their last child is 41, for some women it’s 30; for others, 45.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.