Over 500 scholars affirm Church teaching on contraception [CWN]

More than 500 scholars have signed a statement of support for the Catholic Church’s teaching on contraception.

More…

Though I’m sure they meant well, this is actually contributing to the problem. The church does not bend to the whim of 500 “scholars”. And while they may be on the right side here, it reinforces the dangerous idea that public opinion trumps doctrine.

Whathaaaa… Over!:shrug::hmmm:

They mostly seem to be Catholic scholars or theologians, so it’s not a surprise that they would support Catholic teaching.

Well, all the Christian churches accepted that contraception was wrong, until many changed their minds. So accepting the teaching is not a reason to expect continued acceptance.

If only that were true of most Catholic scholars. :o

How many scholars do you think oppose the teaching of the Roman Catholic Church on contraception? How many married American Catholics take this teaching seriously? In my neighborhood, the Muslim family has six or seven children, but at the local Roman Catholic Church most families are with two children, although there are some exceptions.

I also know Christian who don’t believe in Satan.

Is your point that the Church change moral Truths to accommodate changing social mores?

Did the Church change its teaching on the moral trujth of the Inquisition and burning heretics alive at the stake?

This is why the church is not run by polls of scholars and why stories like this ultimately damage the church. I’m not sure a single person stops using contraceptives because 500 scholars said so but ignores the authority of the Church for thousands of years.

ABC. Will never be ok. The only hope contracepting advocates have is that church hierarchy will lead them astray thereby lessening thier culpability. But with that comes the taking on of the world’s sins by the hierarchy that misleads. The culpability will be accounted for somehow…

No… They did not!

THe inquisition was mainly a secular activity. The Inquisition run by the church was actually quite humane and fair and dealt mainly with heresy. It never burned withces at the stack. This was mostly a secular/puritan phenomena.

No.

:slight_smile:

I’m almost certain tomdstone knows this…

So are you saying that the Church was opposed to heretics being burned at the stake? Did the Church speak out and condemn this kind of treatment for heretics? For example Jan Hus was burned:

The condemnation [of Hus] took place on 6 July 1415, in the presence of the assembly of the Council in the Cathedral. After the High Mass and Liturgy, Hus was led into the church. The Bishop of Lodi delivered an oration on the duty of eradicating heresy; then some theses of Hus and Wycliffe and a report of his trial were read.

An Italian prelate pronounced the sentence of condemnation upon Hus and his writings. Hus protested, saying that even at this hour he did not wish anything, but to be convinced from Scripture. He fell upon his knees and asked God with a low voice to forgive all his enemies. Then followed his degradation — he was dressed in priestly vestments and again asked to recant; again he refused. With curses, Hus’ ornaments were taken from him, his priestly tonsure was destroyed, and the sentence of the Church was pronounced, stripping him of all rights, and he was delivered to secular authorities. Then a tall paper hat was put upon his head, with the inscription “Haeresiarcha” (i.e. the leader of a heretical movement). Hus was led away to the stake under a strong guard of armed men.

At the place of execution, he knelt down, spread out his hands, and prayed aloud. The executioner undressed Hus and tied his hands behind his back with ropes, and bound his neck with a chain to a stake around which wood and straw had been piled up so that it covered him to the neck. At the last moment, the imperial marshal, von Pappenheim, in the presence of the Count Palatine, asked Hus to recant and thus save his own life.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jan_Hus

Based on this account, it looks like the Church played a willing role in the trial of Hus and did not object to his being burned at the stake. The Church and the secular authorities of the state worked together in the trial and execution of Jan Hus.

All of the Protestant churches which arose from the Reformation retained the exact same teaching as the Catholic Church with respect to contraception. It was not one of the teachings that any of them disputed. It was only in 1930 that the first protestant denomination broke with this teaching, allowing contraception for married couples only for serious reasons.

Yes, that was the “change of mind” to which I referred.

The trial of Joan of Arc was overseen by an Roman Catholic church court at Rouen, Normandy. She was burned alive at the stake.

She was tried for Heresy.

The Secular state burned her not the Church!

The Church has never condemned any one to death. Secular law was entwined with Christianity to the point that heresy was actually considered Treason. Joan of Arc was a politically motivated execution. Is it possible that a bishop made a mistake or even sinned with regards to JA. Very possible. Does that mean the “Church” sentenced her to death? Not bloody likely! (said in Kramers Cockney accent)

Your erroneous versions of events with history are as usual biased. Please show me where the church has ever signed a execution warrant for anyone! you won’t find one, because it never happened. In fact citizens would purposefully try to have their cases heard by the church rather than the secular athurities because they were treated more fairly and humane!

Cheers!:thumbsup:

Just like this:
Has the atheist church changed it’s teaching on the moral evil of mass murder of religious people, dissenters, and oh, just about anyone who looks odd?

Your question is demonstrably juvenile and purposely inflammatory. And it has no traction whatsoever.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.