Over-stepping Boundaries

I have just started a chastity club at my all girls “Catholic” highschool. This is no problem though (even though the administration can be difficult from a religious point of veiw). My club is starting an out-reach program where we get clubs started at public highschools. This is where my problem comes in. I know it would be impossible to have these other clubs be Catholic centered so I was going to go non-denominational Christian.

First off: am I doing the right thing taking my religion out of the picture even if I am leaving God and Christ as the center of everything?

And secondly: how do I keep from oversteeping the boundary between Catholocism and mainstream Christianity? I do not want to welcome people and then force my religion on them.

:confused: Please help, with advise and prayers! Thank You.

Hello Castus_agape. I think that you are very bold and courageous to put yourself out there in this way. Among your peer group chastity is not an acceptable option (although far more teenagers abstain from sex than will actually admit it); practising Christianity even less so.

I can see that creating a united Christian front as opposed to an exclusive Catholic one, makes sense. More people to recruit from for one. However, I would not hide my own Catholicism but would be very upfront about it.Over this issue you might find more friends among other Christians than you think. There are many Protestant churches who believe that the catholic teachings on chastity, abortion and other matters of sexual behaviour are actually worth supporting or who have similiar views themselves.

So Castus, be a good catholic girl because by being one and carrying out God’s work you may win friends, influence people, and even bring a soul or two back to the one true church.

BTW: the Catholic church is the ‘mainstream’ and don’t you ever forget it! I will pray that your campaign has some success and that you make a joyful noise unto the Lord! Amen.

[quote=Castus_Agape]I have just started a chastity club at my all girls “Catholic” highschool. This is no problem though (even though the administration can be difficult from a religious point of veiw). My club is starting an out-reach program where we get clubs started at public highschools. This is where my problem comes in. I know it would be impossible to have these other clubs be Catholic centered so I was going to go non-denominational Christian.

First off: am I doing the right thing taking my religion out of the picture even if I am leaving God and Christ as the center of everything?

And secondly: how do I keep from oversteeping the boundary between Catholocism and mainstream Christianity? I do not want to welcome people and then force my religion on them.

:confused: Please help, with advise and prayers! Thank You.
[/quote]

Castus_Agape,

That sounds like a great program, one that is sorely needed. I am no expert by any means on this subject, but maybe it would not be a bad idea to simply describe yourselves as “Christian” in that you are open to all denominations, and over time they will find out that you or other individuals in the group are Catholic and by your example you can change a few minds about Catholicism and teach our rich faith in a non-threatening manner. That is my two cents.

Peace,
Catholicious

Please visit the Pure Love Club website for more information…they’ve managed to establish formats for what you are aiming for…check out the link for setting up a Pure Love Club in your area…and you can write to them for more support and ideas.

You can listen to their Romance Without Regret public high school talk online. I had my 15 year old daughter listen to it the other day. She liked it a lot and feels it will help her deal with her friends who are way too much into the dating scene for her comfort. She worries about them.

Thank you all very much for your advise. I have been to the Pure Love Club website. That is actually what my club is modled after. I really like how they have a secular version to their talks too, but I don’t want things to be secular. I belive that to take God out of chastity defeats the whole purpose. That’s why I’m trying to find common ground between Catholocism and other Christian denominations.

Thank you again. You have been a big support and help. May God bless you all.

Hey Castus_Agape,

Go get 'em!

Are you not allowed to have a Catholic club in a high school? I ran a Christian club in high school a few years ago, and although our club was non-denominational (I was a Protestant growing up), I don’t believe there is ANY provision that excludes a denominatonal loyalty. There really can’t be… remember that the first amendment protects the club from the school’s interference. Dictating that it must be non-denomoinational (if a school does go so far as to mandate that) is improper. The school would be involving itself in matters of faith, and attemtpting to alter the religious practice or religious message of the club. Unless you can demonstrate otherwise, and i’m open to be corrected, I believe the law is on your side.

That being said… if the Catholic students start the club, then they can more the club in a more “Catholic” direction, despite its willingness to embrace members of all Christian denominations. Expose them to statements by John Paul (theology of the Body) and the Catechism and Catholic sources as you do the Bible… I have Adventists as my university wo are drawn by the Theology of the body. It works. The trick is to make sure the Catholcis are motivated enough to lead. This may actually be a more positive move, as your club won’t seem so sectarian (“Oh, those are the Catholics.”) You may reach a wider audience with your message that way, especially among other Christians. Show them a positive Catholic witness. :slight_smile: Even still, remeber that most Evangelicals uphold chasitity, so you’ll have brimming support.

In my prayers,

• Hugo.

As a Protestant, I’ll offer the opinion that quoting the Pope will probably turn some students off. But I might be wrong.

To avoid overstepping boundaries I would think that refraining from the invocation of the saints or prayers for the departed would be enough.

We expect Catholics to make the sign of the cross. (Any Protestants who object need to lighten up.)

These few measures would be interdenominational enough for me.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.