Overcoming a Civil Marriage

I have noticed that there seems to be a developing pattern in Civil marriage relationships - not referring to homosexual marriages of which I don't know of any personally - but heterosexual that the relationship starts to turn into one of increasingly violent bouts for control of the one partner over the other. It develops into something of a master and slave relationship - usually with the man being enslaved to the woman.

Putting this out there if anyone else has noticed any thing more on this , and some words of wisdom to those trying to get out of this kind of relationship, and give their lives to God!

Thanks

+In Christ through Mary +

What you seem to be describing is not what God wants us to have in a Sacramental marriage and it is one of the major risks we run when we keep God out of our relationships by not entering into the Sacrament of Matrimony - Sacramentally - in the Church.

[quote="hoop0826, post:1, topic:252450"]
I have noticed that there seems to be a developing pattern in Civil marriage relationships - not referring to homosexual marriages of which I don't know of any personally - but heterosexual that the relationship starts to turn into one of increasingly violent bouts for control of the one partner over the other. It develops into something of a master and slave relationship - usually with the man being enslaved to the woman.

Putting this out there if anyone else has noticed any thing more on this , and some words of wisdom to those trying to get out of this kind of relationship, and give their lives to God!

Thanks

[/quote]

Civil marrigage is better than none.

Problems arise but for every problem there is a solution, sometimes hard to find. A cousin of mine from Australia said the only problems without solution are death and taxes.

I do not see why a man cannot get out of a slave situation, which is not a happy one for neither one. It seems that there is unfinished business there on the psychological level. without knowing what lies under this complex psychological character, it is impossible to know the solution.

Some of the best marriages I have seen are Civil, some are Catholic, some are other religious types of marriages. I have seen many Protestant Christian and Catholic marriages that the man totally controls every area of the woman's life (like a slave) in the name of submission. I think it depends a lot on the individuals in the marriage.

[quote="hoop0826, post:1, topic:252450"]

Thanks

[/quote]

... Where do you live that you see such trends?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.