Overcoming Scrupulosity....Help?

Anyone have any advice on the matter??? God Bless :slight_smile: Thanks!

Ask yourself these questions:

Was it done purposefully?
Was it something explicitly malicious?
Did this event lessen how much I loved another?

I would invite others to add more.

Scruples is a very big subject.

These two articles (Part I and II) might be helpful :

Part I “Understanding and Overcoming Scriples” - rcspiritualdirection.com/blog/2009/07/13/understanding-and-overcoming-scrupulosity-part-i

Part II - rcspiritualdirection.com/blog/2009/07/21/understanding-and-overcoming-srupulosity-part-ii

If you have any questions, don’t hesitate, just fire away! :thumbsup:

Get a spiritual director and regular confessor, preferably the same person for this :slight_smile:

I used to struggle with scruples, too. Something that helped me very much was the single best piece of advice I ever received in Confession. At the time, I was going to Confession once or twice per month.

I explained my struggles to the priest. In particular for me–and common in those with scrupulosity–was the idea that I had committed a mortal sin and somehow deliberately put it out of my mind or downplayed it so that I could receive Communion without going to Confession, thus making a sacrilegious Communion. This happened nearly every week for some time, and with things that were, 95% of the time, simply not mortal sins, whether from not being grave enough matter or from not fully consenting. Bear in mind that this advice was directed specifically to me, so YMMV.

This priest said that in the future, if I could put my hand on a Bible and swear before God that I had committed a mortal sin, then I should not receive Communion. However, if I could not do that because I wasn’t sure, then I should receive Communion and mention the sin at my next Confession. Period, full stop, that was it.

It worked, and I must say that my scrupulosity diminished very quickly after that.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.