Overland Park police officer fired after Facebook threat to Dallas woman

This is how you handle police who don’t know how to conduct themselves with Black folks.

Former Overland Park, KS police officer Rodney Wilson was fired for making threats on Facebook against a Dallas resident LaNaydra Williams’ five-year-old daughter after the attack on Dallas police.

Wilson left the following message on Williams’ Facebook page: “We’ll see how much her life matters soon… better be careful leaving your info open where she can be found :slight_smile: hold her close tonight, it’ll be the last time.”

“I saw that he was a cop and I was like 'this is outrageous… this is not acceptable at all,” she recalled.

Williams said the officer had no right to go after her daughter.

“I believe he should lose his badge, I really do. you cannot be a good cop and you’re threatening kids online,” she said.

The Overland Park Police Dept. launched an investigation into the post when Williams reported it. On Friday, the department confirmed the man was and officer. By 5:00 p.m., they had fired him.

Chief Francis Donchez, Jr., wrote in a statement: “I want to publicly apologize to those affected by our officer’s personal actions. His actions to not represent the Overland Park Police Dept. in any way and no one should be subjected to any type of discrimination or this kind of behavior.”

Williams says her story shows that racism between cops and people of color is real and that getting this out there should wake people up.

If I were Williams I’d get a restraining order against this man.

He probably did this to scare her, but now since he has lost his job and its going to be tough for him to get hired anywhere over this, he may seek revenge on her.

It’s pretty unlikely that this guy is going to drive from Kansas City to Dallas to kidnap or harm this particular child, but someone who has a temper to the extent that they threaten children does NOT need to be a cop and shouldn’t be armed at all. Some people would call it extreme, but I would consider pressing charges against him.

There has to be a lot more to this story. I’m having a very hard time imagining that just out of the blue a police officer is going to post a threatening message to some total stranger’s Facebook page.

There isn’t. He threatened a black child. His department verified that he posted it and fired him.

I find it just as outrageous that any police officer would ever do ant harm to anyone, but it does happen.

It was in the course of an argument and not out of the blue, but that hardly justifies it. If your temper is that short, police work isn’t for you.

In any event, this guy clearly does not have the temperament to be a police officer.

Her profile picture was of a person dressed in black, holding a knife to a police officer’s throat. Facebook has deleted her account.

fox4kc.com/2016/07/08/terrified-texas-mom-unsure-why-former-overland-park-officer-targeted-her-with-threatening-facebook-post/

This still doesn’t justify making an online threat, let alone against a young child.

So, a police officer reacts to a horribly offensive, and possibly threatening internet post by being horribly offensive and possibly threatening. It was certainly inappropriate, but in the wake of the Dallas police shootings and some of the truly awful stuff on Facebook celebrating the shooter, understandable, and certainly not meriting the loss of job.

Anyone who makes threats like that has no business in a government job that involves carrying a gun.

Saying something inappropriate in a heated internet discussion really shouldn’t be grounds for getting fired from any job, even one where the poster carries a firearm.

Anyone who thinks he has been treated unjustly is free to hire him. At least potential employers should know more about him now.

If a teacher posted something like that, that would be the end of their career in a heartbeat.

He got what he deserved. If he has no better judgement than to threaten the safety, or even the life of a child, he has no business being a police officer.

The woman he responded to arguably threatened the lives of policemen with her use of person holding a knife to a policeman’s throat in her profile picture. It’s funny how she gets a pass from the Social Justice Warriors. Nobody acted well here, but the original poster getting 15 minutes of fame and the cop getting fired doesn’t seem just.

Are you for real??? He didn’t just “say something inappropriate.” He threatened the life of a five-year-old child.

It’s my opinion that 95% of cops are good people doing a much needed, dirty, thankless job. I tend to give them the benefit of the doubt. And I understand that cops today are under a ton of pressure. But this particular cop stepped WAY over the line. He needed to go.

Does the woman get paid by the taxpayer?

So what is the point of this post? The officer apparently did something stupid in reaction to something stupid and he lost his job. This is what is supposed to happen. What else is there to discuss? :shrug:

Well, it demonstrates that some police departments do care about the conduct of the officers they employ.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.