Overpopulation...BEAUTE!!!

Forgive my sarcasm…

Now, here’s another question.

If you guys say God creates humans, why did he “create” so many that we now are facing an overpopulation crisis?

I mean, people are born, but since theres not enough food to feed all, they die. Why the heck are people having babies…yet they die due to lack of food?

Look, there’s approx 6 billion people now on this planet…people are worried about growing, having enough food to feed all. By the end of this year, 7 billion will be on this planet and there might not be enough for all to have food.

How can you explain this? Or, maybe this should be viewed using science, no?

I truly believe if you can’t feed, don’t breed. I’m not trying to be rude but isnt that pretty obvious?

How would your beliefs find a good explaination for this?

First, the earth can support a lot more than 7 billion people. Yes, it can. It really can. We could ‘fit’ all those current 7 billion people quite comfortably (for the majority of them, a lot more comfortably than in their current living conditions) into an area not much larger than the state of Texas.

As for feeding, right now we throw away in the U.S. millions of dollars worth of food, wastefully. We throw away milk or wheat or other crops in order to keep the price where it supposedly will give a fair return to the grower and yet not be too much for the consumer–oh, and don’t forget the middleman (the marketer, the seller, etc.) needs to be paid too!

IF people did not throw away food, if people were paid a living wage, IF crops or cattle etc. were husbanded properly, if we didn’t have people who forcibly KEPT food from their peoples, we would have plenty to eat for ALL people. If we didn’t overprice many goods and services, we wouldn’t see children suffering from lack of being able to afford vitamins or drugs which cost virtually pennies to produce and which in many places are provided even free of charge.

There is no ‘overpopulation’. In fact, many places are operating at a ‘population loss’ where more people are dying and there aren’t enough children being born to replace them, let alone ‘increase’ said population, and many people (especially young men in China) don’t have enough young women to marry in China.

There is no ‘crisis’ with food except what corrupt and selfish people have artificially engineered or thoughtlessly permitted.

It is the fault of greedy, selfish, apathetic and indifferent people that others go hungry or see their children die. . .not the fault of God.

I am really embarrassed for you, Most people who post here actually do some scholarship on the subject before posting, so I understand that you are simply swallowing the hyperbolic rhetoric being fed you by your mindless mentors.

Here are some facts easily substantiated by consulting the appropriate UN Studies, CDC, major academic studies of the last decade.

[LEFT]The alarming trend of population decline in Japan has recently been covered. Compelling demographic data now suggest that shrinking population is by no means an exclusively overseas phenomenon.
Four recent studies, supported by official UN data, definitively show that the post-World War II population boom is long over, and that the global population will actually begin to decrease.
This news would likely give those concerned about overpopulation cause to rejoice; at least it would, had overpopulation ever been a threat in the first place. In fact, the overpopulation scare was the result of faulty 17Th century food supply estimates that have never been adjusted in light of subsequent advancements in farming and manufacturing.
The truth is that many of the policies and attitudes intended to ward off the anticipated worldwide famine that would supposedly be caused by overpopulation have greatly contributed to the current crisis; one that is ironically the exact reverse of the former doomsday scenario.
The fact is that The United States is the only Western country that boasts replacement-level birth rates, and then only because of immigration. Startlingly, once fecund third world countries are seeing their birth rates fall below replacement levels.
Population growth is not a crisis. It is a necessary ingredient of any social entitlement program. When a society has fewer children than are necessary to replace their dying population, a demographic shift occurs wherein the old outnumber the young. The end result is a critical shortage of working-age taxpayers required to support those living on Social Security and the like.[/LEFT]

[LEFT]The fable of overpopulation, must be consigned to the realm of myth.[/LEFT]

Perhaps next time you can do a little basic, independent research before posting here.
Failure to do so will only embarrass you and annoy the readers here.

Forgive my sarcasm, I’m not trying to be rude but It is really annoying to have an ignoramus who a bloated ego and has done no fact checking come here and expose his ignorance in writing before the whole bolgosphere.

Tantum hit the high points, especially my favorite counterpoint about everyone pretty much fitting into TX. :slight_smile:

People produce plenty of food— but what happens when they don’t have refrigeration? The ability to can or preserve it? The ability to transport it from where it is to where it needs to go? The infrastructure in place to distribute it?

Americans throw away enough food each day to fill the Rose Bowl, and yet people still go hungry in America. Interestingly enough, the best way to slow population growth is to create a comfortable first-world country-- look at Japan or the US, for example. If you’ve read, say, “The Jungle” by Upton Sinclair (yeah, it’s a novel), you get a great, up-close look at early American poverty, at the inequality faced by early 20th c. immigrants, the corruption they were up against. Then look at the birth rate at that time. (Hint: avg number of births/woman ranged from 4 to 6 depending on race/ethnicity.) Compare that to nowadays-- we’ve taken great deliberate strides in reducing inequality, and our poverty is nothing like their poverty. What’s our birth rate today? (Hint: avg number of births/woman is about 2, with race/ethnicity no longer showing much of a significant difference. Follow-up question: Is 2 births/woman considered sustainable or desirable for a country’s future?)

Honestly, your question dates back at least to the early 1800’s. :slight_smile: Today, just as it was then, it was pretty flawed logic-- If there were fewer people in the world, does it necessarily follow that there’d be more steak for me? But by addressing the technological and social issues behind poverty, we’ve come a long way since then, and will continue to progress-- and bring the rest of the world with us.

I am really embarrassed for you, Most people who post here actually do some scholarship on the subject before posting, so I understand that you are simply swallowing the hyperbolic rhetoric being fed you by your mindless mentors.
Please, Do a little independent research and good scholarship!

Here are some facts easily substantiated by consulting the appropriate UN Studies, CDC, major academic studies of the last decade.

[LEFT]The alarming trend of population decline in Japan has recently been covered. Compelling demographic data now suggest that shrinking population is by no means an exclusively overseas phenomenon.
Four recent studies, supported by official UN data, definitively show that the post-World War II population boom is long over, and that the global population will actually begin to decrease.
This news would likely give those concerned about overpopulation cause to rejoice; at least it would, had overpopulation ever been a threat in the first place. In fact, the overpopulation scare was the result of faulty 17Th century food supply estimates that have never been adjusted in light of subsequent advancements in farming and manufacturing.
The truth is that many of the policies and attitudes intended to ward off the anticipated worldwide famine that would supposedly be caused by overpopulation have greatly contributed to the current crisis; one that is ironically the exact reverse of the former doomsday scenario.
The fact is that The United States is the only Western country that boasts replacement-level birth rates, and then only because of immigration. Startlingly, once fecund third world countries are seeing their birth rates fall below replacement levels.
Population growth is not a crisis. It is a necessary ingredient of any social entitlement program. When a society has fewer children than are necessary to replace their dying population, a demographic shift occurs wherein the old outnumber the young. The end result is a critical shortage of working-age taxpayers required to support those living on Social Security and the like.[/LEFT]

[LEFT]The fable of overpopulation, must be consigned to the realm of myth.[/LEFT]

Perhaps next time you can do a little basic, independent research before posting here.
Failure to do so will only embarrass you and annoy the readers here.

Forgive my sarcasm, I’m not trying to be rude but It is really annoying to have an ignoramus who a bloated ego and has done no fact checking come here and expose his ignorance in writing before the whole bolgosphere. So, please don’t go away mad. . .

:clapping::clapping::clapping:

With all the charity I can muster, which at times is not very much: please think before you post. Do you really think there is a grave shortage of food, or that corruption, evil, and greed make the production and distribution of food not what it should be? Then your next question will be: why did God create corrupt, greedy, and evil people?:wink: If God could create the universe out of nothing, literally, he won’t lose sleep worrying about feeding 7 or 8 billion people.:slight_smile: What does “beaute” mean next to “overpopulation”?

You obviously have a problem with me asking questions, whether I do research on them or not. You shouldn’t have to do research to ask a question. Who said I had “mindless mentors”? Uh, that would be you :rolleyes:

Look, no one said or is forcing you to post to the threads I made, right? Right! I am asking questions and most people on here are nice enough to answer them WITHOUT showing their annoyance in me. And, believe it or not, when they do it with friendly charity, I COULD be a step closer to maybe believing. When someone like you makes annoying comments, well, I’ll have to get annoyed!

If you’re annoyed, dont respond or post to my threads. Dont ever be embarrassed for me. If I was Catholic and asking these questions, yeah, you would have a reason to be embarrassed.

I’m not gonna bother reading your answer, but thanks anyways.

if there is an overpopulation crisis, and most sources debate this, it is not caused by God creating too many people, but by the fact that fewer than 20% of the people consume more than 80% of the resources in callous disregard for the just claims and needs of all. This planet has plenty for all unless greed is allowed to govern.

M31
I am sorry that we are not being “Christ” like in our responses. We are asked to follow and be like Him.
Please accept this apology.

The Malthusian Dilemma is not applicable to reality due to the fact we are not operating at fullest capacity of food production. Evidence shows a suppression, namely from eugenic societies and banking families, of the progression of society to withstand and allow a greater population. Probably because that doesn’t fit well with their utopian ideal future, you know with the wiping out of 90% of the population and genetic manipulation of the species.

Overpopulation is an artificial problem prompt up by eugenic communistic idealists that want full control of society and the species. When these ignorant people get out of the way of society from becoming truly great, this kind of falsely supported rhetoric will never be a problem.

Shouldn’t this be under Social Justice forum?

Your question include an unfounded assumption, namely that the earth is overpopulated.

Since this is not your first thread, your history of not accepting the given answers preceeded you.

Maybe if your questions did not contain thinly veiled slams against Catholism, they wouldn’t be treated so harshly.

Yeah, I see how you are.

WWJD??? I’ll guarantee you anything that if I were to ask Jesus these, he would at least respond in a Christ-like manner!

I’m a little embarrassed for them.

Oh, now they’ll have to go to Confession, ah, too bad :frowning:

“Human capital is the mind”

Some time ago, people thought they were going to face a crisis because the mammoth was slowly growing extinct. Then then someone invented agriculture.

Some time ago, people thought they were going to face a crisis because they could not grow crops fast enough. Then someone invented fertilizer.

Some time ago, people thought they were going to face a crisis because they were running out of space in the cities. Then someone invented the skyscraper.

Some time ago, people thought they were going to run out of water. Then someone invented the desalinization plant.

In addition to all that, as said above, the resources are being hoarded. We have enough for way more people, but who is willing to step down from fame and fortune for the betterment of society is another question.

I don’t see any starving babies. Where do you live?

Yeah because Arizona won’t let them in.

Mark 7:18 “Jesus said to them: “Are you so dull…”” In French (which came to mind when I read your post), it says “Are you without intelligence?”

I hope you will excuse my entrance into a conversation already in progress, but I’m sure that I’m not the only one following this thread who is disappointed that, instead of answering the counterarguments of those who posted in a more charitable manner, you have thus far done little more than complain about those responses whose tones you found to be un-Christian.

If the point of this thread was to demonstrate the tendency of Christian apologists to be less than charitable in their method of debate, then I think you have demonstrated the point to your own satisfaction, so you may as well come out and admit it.

On the other hand, if you sincerely want to discuss the nature and implications of overpopulation, I would highly encourage you to just respond to the points made in the more charitable posts.

I am not without my own opinions on the overpopulation question, but I think that others have already made a number of important points, so I’ll avoid throwing yet another wall of text at you until you’ve responded to the arguments already put forward.

It is our greed and sinfulness that keeps most for some and only a little for the rest. If the Church’s teachings were heeded and mankind was committed to being in union with God through virtue and moral living, worship, and prayer, men would then live with less, would love monogamously, create with the good of all in mind, and would not waste creation in pursuit of making there name great. All of man’s problems are because of men turning from good and the source of all Good, God. All his error in seeing overpopulation is merely the greed of not wanting to share, not wanting to be humble, and not trusting in God.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.