Overrated Video games?

Ok people, time for some blasphemy on this gorgeous Monday morning! :wink:

Has there ever been a video game that was critically acclaimed, all your friends seemed to love, and you didn’t? For instance-Goldeneye 64-a great game by all accounts, but perhaps you didn’t like it as much, or worse-you hated it!

My quick list-

1. Mario 64-I know! This is horrid of me to say. I love the Mario series, but this one NEVER caught on for me. I understand why it’s brilliant, I just personally don’t like it.

2. Halo-I generally enjoy first person shooters, but this is another game I tried to get into but didn’t.

3.Tony Hawk series-I really hate the reflex games like this, even though I have pretty good relexes. This one bores the heck out of me.

Doesn’t quite meet your definition, but it has to be Spore. When I first saw the previews for that game I was so excited and amazed, a lot of hype was being generated before its release. When I finally got it it proved to be one of the biggest disappointments. I never even finished it.

Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions for the PSP. It always had such high reviews and the design looked promising.

However, as much as I found the gameplay just as good as they said, I was totally disappointed in its story with its anti-clerical and anti-religious themes. The secret ending at the end just made it worse. -.-;; Final Fantasy Tactics Advanced (for the GBA) on the other hand had a decent story despite the lack of gameplay.

It fits the defintion just fine!

World of Warcraft is becoming pretty overrated. When it started out, it was friggin awesome! Now it’s too big

Portal. That has to be the most overrated game of all time. Yes, it was a decent time killer, but that’s about it. I enjoyed playing it, while it lasted, etc. But I hear people refer to it as the best game ever made, it won a few game of the year awards, etc. I just don’t get it.

[quote="Rascalking, post:1, topic:197921"]
Ok people, time for some blasphemy on this gorgeous Monday morning! ;)

Has there ever been a video game that was critically acclaimed, all your friends seemed to love, and you didn't? For instance-Goldeneye 64-a great game by all accounts, but perhaps you didn't like it as much, or worse-you hated it!

My quick list-

1. Mario 64-I know! This is horrid of me to say. I love the Mario series, but this one NEVER caught on for me. I understand why it's brilliant, I just personally don't like it.

2. Halo-I generally enjoy first person shooters, but this is another game I tried to get into but didn't.

3.Tony Hawk series-I really hate the reflex games like this, even though I have pretty good relexes. This one bores the heck out of me.

[/quote]

the first one, no....no, no, no... That was one of the best games of the 1990s, It's only flaw was that it didn't have an option to play as Luigi(a problem with most mario games after the SNES incarnation) and Yoshi only shows up to tell you "well done you finished the game". They fixed those issues with the DS version, but that was 10 years too late.

the other two you've listed are spot on. Halo never catched on with me, I guess it's an X-Box thing, and I was more of a Sony dude at the time... now I'm a fan of the Nintendo Wii, so still don't get it. In fact I really disliked the game.

And as far as Tony Hawk is concerned it ended with the PS2 version of number 3(which was one of the best sport games ever created), the rest of them sucked(except number 4 which was only slightly worse than the classic of the series), I consider all the ones not named "Pro skater" to be nothing but dodgy unoriginal spin-offs that sucked. The first 3 were solid sport games, the 4th a slight letdown, and then the turds came quickly to the forefront.

Definitely WoW. It was too boring and too “easy” compared to my previous MMO, Final Fantasy XI. I also didn’t like the community dynamics. The color palette seared my retinas. Ugh. I tried it for 3 weeks with a friend, and muddled through at his insistence before dumping it.

On Nintendo platforms, IGN gave Viewtiful Joe on Gamecube very high marks and praise. I thought the game was very boring. I also disliked Mario Sunshine, Mario Galaxy (although it was a bit better then the dull Sunshine game), and never took a liking to Zelda: Twilight Princess. The shadow world in Twilight Princess was not as cool as the dark realm in Link to the Past. Fighting the shadow creatures as a wolf got monotonous.

Spore was mildly fun until you got to the Space stage. Then you run out of things to do after settling a multitude of planets. I remember NPR had a Science Friday show dedicated to hyping Spore. They had evolution experts on the show and the Maxis dude who created it. In the end, I was let down by both the game play and the lack of any semblance of realism in the game.

Zelda for me!

[quote="Kimothy80, post:10, topic:197921"]
Zelda for me!

[/quote]

Now THAT'S blasphemy of the worst kind! ;);)

I totally disagree with you, but I can see your point. I never liked the N64 controller, which virtually poisioned the whole system. Thank God that games like Zelda made the system.

Go figure - the N64 controller is one of my all-time favorites! It fit like a glove!

[quote="BusterMartin, post:13, topic:197921"]
Go figure - the N64 controller is one of my all-time favorites! It fit like a glove!

[/quote]

LOL! Are you serious? I HATED that controller! LOL

[quote="BusterMartin, post:13, topic:197921"]

[/quote]

I have to agree, I loved that controller! :)

I think that many of the new Call of Duty / Halo type games are overrated. For me, there will never be another Goldeneye. But then, I've always stuck with the Nintendo systems (until I inherited a PS2 by marrying my wife :p). Without Mario and Zelda, what are you left with? ;) :D

That’s my kind of dowry! I’m going to be marrying a gal who owns an arcade!

One of my favorites, too.

Anyway, I think any shoot-'em-up type games are note only overrated, but oversaturated. There’s not much variety once you finish all of the levels (save for modding a game). Just about any MMORPG, too. I never played one besides watching my cousin, and I just couldn’t envision spending $12 a month or however much it costs to play a faily open-ended game just to get to level 80. All the while, it takes you maybe 2 years, and almost $300 later.

:rotfl: Nice! :thumbsup:

Speaking of which, for anyone who wants to judge for themselves, Portal is free through Steam until May 24th. They’re giving it away in celebration of the Mac Steam client release. Time for me to play through it a 7th time, just to enjoy not having to boot in to Windows to do so :thumbsup:

My personal calls on overrated games would be any Grand Theft Auto after the second one (in 2D it was a fun arcadey game, in 3D it’s just clunky until you get to GTA IV, and that one didn’t hold my interest for more than a few hours), and any hardcore racing simulator. I love the Burnout series, I want to have fun driving in a game, I don’t want to practice that one corner twenty times just to win a race.

Most Final Fantasy games are overrated to me. I just can't synchronise with an androgynous looking male character. :rolleyes:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.