Overslept - missed Mass

Hi,

The church in my area does not have a special Mass for today but they do have one every day at 7:00am. I was up late last night with the festivities and all and had to give my mother a ride back home. I set my alarm for 6:00am, turned it off, laid there for a moment. The next thing I knew it was 8:50!!! :eek: I work from home - usually starting at 9am. Since I didn't have permission to miss work, I've also felt obligated to just go tomorrow and Sunday.

Is there anything I need to confess here? Should I perhaps seek out a Mass somewhere in the nearabouts to see if it's possible to go this evening?

For a mortal sin one needs grave matter, full knowledge and deliberate consent. If I wake up for the only Mass I thought I could make but then deliberately go back to sleep -that is different then accidentally falling asleep....

And if such happened then I seek out another Mass

Seek out another Mass (try "mass times") online and then call to verify the time.

Yes, you should look for a mass in the area that will be available this evening. If not, ask your pastor for his opinion on your culpability in missing mass.

Check masstimes.org. Many parishes do schedule extra Masses for HDO. You may still be able to get to Mass this evening. Please make every attempt to go.

According to your profile you live in Colorado Springs so there should be plenty of other parishes you can go to with Mass in the evening. The Cathedral itself has mass at 5pm or 7pm in Spanish. You should make a reasonable effort to make it to mass if possible.

Thanks guys! As far as looking them up and going, I'll do that!

Turns out there is one for my home parish at 6:30pm. Just wasn’t advertised.

I'm happy that you found a Mass time you can make!

To others reading this thread in hoped of getting some advice because they have also missed Mass, I say CALL! I checked my parish Mass times for today online and there were additional times that were not listed. I thought about attending a bit closer to home and I didn't see an extra Mass time online, but it's up on the sign in front of the church. So, online times aren't always accurate. Call around and ask real people!

As a sinner myself, all I can say is I wish the issue you are wrestling with was the most serious actual sin or near occasion of sin I needed to worry about!

God is not a prison guard waiting for us to step out of line in a chain gang so he can beat us with a club. He is loving and merciful, quick to forgive and slow to anger.

And Christ wants us to put away our anxiety and bask in his glory!

When scripture tells us to be in fear of The Lord, fear means be in awe, not afraid.

It appears you have not sinned, but if you have, you have shown a humble heart and contrite spirit, and because of His loving nature, your relationship with him is most assuredly in good standing!

Peace be with you!

[quote="MJJean, post:8, topic:343853"]
I'm happy that you found a Mass time you can make!

To others reading this thread in hoped of getting some advice because they have also missed Mass, I say CALL! I checked my parish Mass times for today online and there were additional times that were not listed. I thought about attending a bit closer to home and I didn't see an extra Mass time online, but it's up on the sign in front of the church. So, online times aren't always accurate. Call around and ask real people!

[/quote]

Excellent advice! Sometimes additional Mass times are announced at the previous Sunday's Masses and the website is not updated.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.