Overwhelmed by all the prayers, novenas, chaplets, etc

There are many, many, many such things in Catholicism. How do you know which ones to pray? If they all grant graces, how do you decide which ones to be devoted to? Is it a personal calling?

At the moment, I feel drawn to the Chaplet of Divine Mercies…I mean, who doesn’t like mercy?

Except I’m not in the Catholic Church…and don’t have a Rosary…

Don’t feel overwhelmed- a simple prayer such as The Our Father or Hail Mary are powerful.

A cd of the Divine Mercy Chaplet is available at www.catholiccity.com
You can listen and pray along.
I always feel less overwhelmed when I pray and at peace especially when it is for others.

God Bless,
Mommy K

No one’s perfect! :smiley:

Anyone can pray the Rosary and the various chaplets. And you don’t need a rosary - fingers work just fine. Or you can pick up a plastic rosary for free at almost any parish or real cheap at a Catholic store.

The DIvine Mercy prayers are lovely and a great starting point if you’re not comfortable with the Marian prayers of the standard rosary.

That’s why God gave you ten fingers and ten toes (my apologies if he didn’t). You have a Rosary with you wherever you go.

There just really are so many, aren’t there! :slight_smile: I’m a cradle Catholic and sometimes feel like I’m at a huge banquet and want to sample everything but would explode if I did! :eek:

It’s best to pick the ones you feel drawn to, and sometimes you switch around for various reasons. The Divine Mercy one is awesome, you can’t go wrong with it! :thumbsup:

1. Personal preference, I guess. I’m going to start praying some of the Liturgy of the Hours (trying for Matins, Vespers and Compline)
  2. It doesn’t care that you’re not Catholic. Anyone can pray the Rosary, Chaplet of Divine Mercy, Chaplet of St. Michael, etc.
  3. You have 10 fingers, right? The primary function of a physical Rosary is really just to help count the Hail Marys (or in this case, how many times you’ve said “For the sake of his sorrowful Passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world”)

There are alot I give you that.

I think for myself its kinda a family thing.

Papa always did Novena’s to the Blessed Mother.

Hey speaking of her this is the gospel truth. At our Church we have the traveling Blessed Mother. You bring her to your home for a week and decorate her with flowers whatever you want and pray. There are special prayers you pray. Anyway this past week was mine and it was so great. Everyone was on their best BEHAVIOR TOO!:smiley:

But my second favorite is St Jude he is for the hopeless. Thats usually me! Oh I am sorry its hopeless causes.!!:smiley:

I was thinking something similar recently. I do daily rosaries and do the Divine Mercies daily as it it short. I am trying to cultivate batter habits. I remember my grandmother said the rosary daily (probably multiple) went to daily mass, read the bible, etc and she made a habit of it daily in the early mornings. I remember that fondly when we visited her.

The Divine Mercy Chaplet is awesome, so as stated, you can’t go wrong :stuck_out_tongue: I like the Chaplet of St Michael too and are considering alternating devotions. I am sure I will settle into things as I learn more and more or the devotions. Sometimes the Holy Spirit draws us to certain things for a reason so you should definately pray the DM’s

And …fingers are good for the rosary. And I know most gift shops in the churches have plastic rosaries for a few dollars.

Don’t be overwhelmed and don’t feel like you need to do them all. St. Josemaria states in The Way #552 “Have only a few private devotions, but be constant in them.”

[quote=EIF5A] There are many, many, many such things in Catholicism. How do you know which ones to pray? If they all grant graces, how do you decide which ones to be devoted to? Is it a personal calling?

At the moment, I feel drawn to the Chaplet of Divine Mercies…I mean, who doesn’t like mercy?

[/quote]

St Paul said “pray without ceasing”

Posted from Catholic.com App for Android

[quote=EIF5A] There are many, many, many such things in Catholicism. How do you know which ones to pray? If they all grant graces, how do you decide which ones to be devoted to? Is it a personal calling?

[/quote]

seriously, pick a few that speak to your heart and just do those few.

Posted from Catholic.com App for Android

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.