Ownership of TV Sets Falls in U.S

NY Times:

Ownership of TV Sets Falls in U.S.'

Discarded analog television sets in Florida. Analog was rendered obsolete in the switch to digital broadcasting in 2009.

For the first time in 20 years, the number of homes in the United States with television sets has dropped.        

The Nielsen Company, which takes TV set ownership into account when it  produces ratings, will tell television networks and advertisers on  Tuesday that 96.7 percent of American households now own sets, down from  98.9 percent previously.        

There are two reasons for the decline, according to Nielsen. One is poverty: some low-income households no longer own TV sets, most likely because they cannot afford new digital sets and antennas.

The other is technological wizardry: young people who have grown up with laptops in their hands instead of remote controls are opting not to buy TV sets when they graduate from college or enter the work force, at least not at first. Instead, they are subsisting on a diet of television shows and movies from the Internet.

That second reason is prompting Nielsen to think about a redefinition of the term “television household” to include Internet video viewers.

“We’ve been having conversations with clients,” said Pat McDonough, the senior vice president for insights and analysis at Nielsen. “That would be a big change for this industry, and we’d be doing it in consultation with clients if we do it.”

I have cut back to basic cable b/c most of the shows available online from TNT, History, &c plus with a lot fewer ads so their income must be going down if too many are doing that.

[quote="didymus, post:1, topic:238670"]
NY Times:

I have cut back to basic cable b/c most of the shows available online from TNT, History, &c plus with a lot fewer ads so their income must be going down if too many are doing that.

[/quote]

I don't see how people can watch TV on their computers. It's too small, and the sound isn't very good. I like to kick back on my couch and watch TV from across the room.

I will admit though, I have VERY basic cable and usually just watch DVDs on my TV.

I watch all of my shows on my laptop because they aren't good enough to sit through the whole thing, so I just skip through a lot of it. There might be only one show where I actually watch the entire thing. I don't watch that much tv though, I am more of a movie person. I am hoping that there will be some good shows next fall though!

could it be that people are getting tired of the **** on prime time tv??? I know that I am..I thought about a new HD, but my old tv is working just fine...I have better uses for my money..

My 28-year-old daughter sold her TV two years ago, and hasn't replaced it. Her reason is not religious, but because she is never home to watch it. When she is home, she prefers peace, and music from her iPod.

[quote="CHRISTINE77, post:2, topic:238670"]
I don't see how people can watch TV on their computers. It's too small, and the sound isn't very good. I like to kick back on my couch and watch TV from across the room.

I will admit though, I have VERY basic cable and usually just watch DVDs on my TV.

[/quote]

I saw an ad for internet TV. The TV itself was one of those huge (not to mention expensive) new generation types but it showed itself capable of applications, web surfing, as well as viewing.

It might be where this is going. :shrug:

On the other hand, I'm pretty sure you can do the same thing with just a regular TV and a video game console. (I suppose you can add it to my reasons for wanting a PS3).

[quote="CHRISTINE77, post:2, topic:238670"]

[/quote]

Well, this is the generation that abandoned LPs or even cassettes in favor of mp3s so convenience rules rather than sound or video quality.
I've seen people watching shows (videos, anyway) on phones or iPads.

[quote="didymus, post:7, topic:238670"]
Well, this is the generation that abandoned LPs or even cassettes in favor of mp3s so convenience rules rather than sound or video quality.
I've seen people watching shows (videos, anyway) on phones or iPads.

[/quote]

I imagine you are absolutely correct. But to me, sound is very important, especially listening to music. Of course, I listen to classical music, so I'm sure that makes a difference. Rap "music" really doesn't have any tonality to it!:p

I'm too old to look at anything smaller than a bread box!

Count me in on that, I don't own a TV and haven't in about 4 years. I sold it when I moved because I hadn't actually used it in a long time. I was working odd hours in the evening and could either set up the video recorder (can't afford a DVR) or watch everything online. Online is MUCH easier.

As for quality, I'm not the type of person who can just sit down and watch anything. I'm pretty much always playing around online at the same time. I have a super widescreen laptop so half is what I'm watching and half is whatever else. I'm probably seeing more than I would if it were across the room since I can see it better out of my peripheral vision.

[quote="Lost_Wanderer, post:6, topic:238670"]
I saw an ad for internet TV. The TV itself was one of those huge (not to mention expensive) new generation types but it showed itself capable of applications, web surfing, as well as viewing.

It might be where this is going. :shrug:

On the other hand, I'm pretty sure you can do the same thing with just a regular TV and a video game console. (I suppose you can add it to my reasons for wanting a PS3).

[/quote]

The only reason AGAINST owning a PS3 is the muckup they've made with their security which has caused SONY a PR disaster over the last few weeks.

but I bet the number of people who watch programs through other means, streaming on web for instance, using computer monitor to double as a TV (sounds like we may be going that route in one room) has not dropped.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.