Padre Pio and the Chastisement Medal

Several years ago I visited the Padre Pio shrine in Barto, PA, and bought a little medal that has an image of the Sacred Heart (not the image of our Lord with His Heart --just the Heart Itself) on one side, and an image of a Host with the IHS inscription and rays extending from the Host (similar to what is found on the back of the Holy Face Medal).

user750287.sf1000.registeredsite.com/miva/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=HFA&Category_Code=M

It came with a this rather poor explanation:

BRIEF EXPLANATION OF THE CHASTISEMENT MEDAL

Father Domenic Meyer, OFM, Cap., of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, was a secretary for seven years at Padre Pio’s monastery.

Father Meyer showed us a tiny medal (the chastisement medal) and said that Padre Pio said we should wear it at all times because it would protect us both spiritually and physically. He recounted many incidents of accidents and drownings where the wearer of the medal was spared and those around him were either hurt or killed.

Mary Pyle, wore a large silver chastisement medal on her habit She told us stories of how It helped people who were wearing it.

In May of 1954 I was cured by Padre Pio. In the summer of 1955 three other school teachers and I drove through Europe. Our main purpose was to go to San Giovanni Rotondo and visit Padre Rio. When we arrived in July, 1955, we met a Franciscan Capuchin, Father Meyer, who was a first cousin of the then Cardinal Meyer of Chicago.

ln Father Carty’s book, PADRE PIO, THE STIGMATIST, he tells of how Padre Pio cured Father Meyer. Incidentally Father Meyer came from Milwaukee, Wisconsin, and was staying at the Friary a little while. I told him my story and we showed him the articles we bought, asking if he could get them blessed by Padre Pio.

Father Meyer then proceeded to show us the tiny medal (the chastisement medal) and said that Padre Rio said we should wear it at all times because It would protect us both spiritually and physically. He recounted many incidents of accidents and drownings where the wearer of the medal was spared and those around him were either hurt or killed. That is when I first bought the Chastisement medal.

(The meanings of the words on the medal: SIA BENEDETTO IL NOME DEL SIGNORE…May the Name of the Lord be Blessed. CUOR DI GESU SALVACI. PERIAMO…Heart of Jesus save us-we pray.)…

I guess its a dialect of Italian, but I think PERIAMO might be closer to “we perish” than “we pray”…

At any rate, does anyone know anything else about it? Did Padre Pio himself come up with the design? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

God bless,

Fr. Boyd

Sounds superstitious to me. A medal dosen’t save you, God’s grace dose.

I really don’t think that is the point… the medal is no more saving you than the Scapular of Our Lady of Mt Carmel. Yet, the Scapular is a great blessing from heaven, confirmed by many popes with indulgences, visions to saints (St. Simon Stock, the children at Fatima), and the miracle of incorruptibility (scapulars of St. Aphonsus Liguori, the beatified parents of St. Therese, etc.). Our Lady told St. Catherine Laboure that many graces would be poured out upon those who wear the Medal of the Immaculate Conception, and, indeed, so many miracles happened that it is universally known as the Miraculous Medal. Sacramentals are not superstitions, and we shouldn’t be too ready to dismiss the witness of a great saint such as Padre Pio.

I don’t know anything of it’s origins, in fact I’ve never heard of it, but if Padre Pio said, “wear it” I’d like to know more. Perhaps I’ll do a little internet search later on and see what I can find. :slight_smile:

I wear the brown scapular with a St. Benedict and a miraculous medal attached onto it. These things in and of themselves don’t save us, but they can be vehicles of grace that come forth to us through the treasury of the Church by the merits of Christ.

Periamo is present tense of the first person plural from “perire” to die. It means “we die”, but probably is meant more like the Latin term (future tense) “morituri” roughly translated in “those that are going to die”.

Well, I did a google search and came up with this thread.
:whacky: :wave:

I’m curious why it is named the Chastisement Medal.

I can’t find anything via google either. I suppose it has to do with the three days of darkness prophecy.

I don’t think it has anything to do with the “Three Days of Darkness”; from description on the little pamphlet it seems more like an Agnus Dei-type sacramental. But I would really love to know its origins.

Perire can also mean to perish. I think the quote is a reference to Mt. 8:25: “Lord, save us, we perish.”

You are correct! That it is a bit closer to the Latin “perire” than the Italian “perire” (to die of a non natural death).

Mt. 8:25 Domine salva nos, perimos! ( Italian translation was Signore, salvaci ci perdiamo - Lord, save us we are getting lost)

and this is why it is always better to go to the source instead of using the translation of a translation. :smiley: :smiley:

…Thanks for moving the tread. Spirituality is probably a better fit!

God bless,

Fr. Boyd

I recently found this article which mentions a tiny medal of the Sacred Heart that Padre Pio gave to a soldier:

padrepiodevotions.org/january-march2008.pdf

I think it sounds like a beautiful medal for private devotion. In fact, I like it very much! That having been said, I don’t care for the propaganda behind it. (It’s like believing the Brown Scapular is a get-out-of-Hell-free card, which isn’t true at all.)

It sounds like the hyperbole the surrounds the Mormon Undergarments, or Temple Garments – those who wore them were saved from drowning or fire, or not burned above where the fabric touched their bodies, or…(the list is endless).

Oh, how those two lines (emphasis mine) just grate on me.

First off, a medal never helps anyone. It’s a sacramental, which has no power in and of itself.

Second, Padre Pio, or any of the saints, never cured anyone. Had Sr. Mary Pyle said, “I was cured through Padre Pio’s intercession,” that would be a different story. The semantics are extremely important here, because what she said is very misleading and could cause scandal. It sounds as if she is deifying a man, not the source of her alleged healing
(who would be God).

I am sorry to sound so vituperative here. It’s just that this is exactly the sort of thing – whether it’s mis-translation or a miscommunication of an idea in the native tongue – that causes people to look at the Communion of Saints and their intercession as a Nonsensical Catholic Idea.

Father Boyd. Thank you for putting into words, what so many devout Catholics (myself included) truly believe. There is nothing superstitious about proper use of a sacramental.

I think it was Padre Pio, who referred to his Rosary beads as a “weapon”. That’s a great way to think of AND use sacramentals. They are “weapons” in the spiritual battle.

I just ordered some more medals from the Padre Pio shrine in Barto, PA, and they had a different pamphlet included. Apparently the medal was designed by St. Bernardine of Siena. Here is an ocr scan of the paper:

Little Rosary in honor of the Holy Name of Jesus & The Chastisement Medal.

Every knee shall bend to the name of Jesus, in heaven, earth and hell!

Derived from the Diocesan Bulletin from: Citta di Castello, Perugia

On the occasion of the month dedicated to the Sacred Heart of Jesus, the Bishop vividly recommends a beautiful prayer initiative, made public in an endearing note: A beautiful invocation from the XIV Century, a rosary dedicated to the Holy Name of Jesus, with Litany. The Bishop requests that the priests propagate it and recite it publicly and privately. The Bishop warmly and specifically recommends it to the seminarians, the monasteries, the religious and private schools and the institutions and Catholic groups. He also, recommends the diffusion by the Dioceses of the New Medal of the Holy Name of Jesus. This is largely diffused throughout Italy and abroad with a few miraculous results. The medal carries the name of Jesus on the logo, just as St. Bernardine of Siena had written:

“May the name of the Lord be blessed” (front)
“Sacred Heart of Jesus, save us in the hour of peril” (back)

Let Us Pray
As our lord Jesus Christ told us: Ask and you shall receive; Seek and you shall find; Knock and it shall be opened unto you; we pray and beseech you, through your most divine love, so that we come to love you with all of our hearts, with our words and with our works and that we may never cease to praise you. Oh Lord, help us to constantly love and fear you at the same time, through your most Holy Name. Never deny us the special divine virtue that you established through the solid foundation of your divine love. You, who lives and reigns forever and ever. (300 day indulgence, if recited every day)

Beauty and Power of the Holy Name of Jesus

The name of Jesus is the most sublime and powerful name that there could ever be. All the Saints and Holy of Holies bow to the mere mention of His name; those who are damned and refuse to ask for forgiveness and salvation, tremble with fear, hearing His Holy Name. It is through the name of Jesus that the world will obtain peace; only in the name of Jesus, will religion triumph. Men will stop cursing His Name and they will venerate, praise and love Him. Men will reverently bow to Him with the mere mention of His name. His Name is often invoked for favors and most of all when the soul is tormented, besieged by the devil and when the soul seems to have lost all hope. Jesus, Redeemer of humanity cannot abandon man at his time of peril, and will come to our rescue. The man that invokes His Name, will receive light and courage. He who venerates and calls His Name, will receive the benevolent grace and full blessing from Him. He who asks Him for help, pronouncing His Name with great faith, will feel the sure hope that he has been heard. Love and venerate the Holy Name till the day that He is back among us and will be King of all hearts.

Little Rosary to the Most Holy Name of Jesus
(this is recited with normal rosary beads)
God help me to understand; Lord we rejoice in your hope
May the most Holy Name of Jesus, be loved, praised and venerated in heaven and earth.
(This is said on every bead, in lieu of the “Hail Mary”, l0 times)
May the most Holy Name of Jesus be blessed; May the most loved Name of Jesus, Word,
made flesh, be praised, loved, exalted and venerated.
(Rosary is ended with this final invocation)

December 8, 1949: We approve the said “Rosary to the Holy Name of Jesus” and we concede 100 days of indulgence every time the little rosary is recited. Bishop Filippo Cipriani, Citta di Castello

This may be getting off topic but has it been confirmed or not the allegations that Padre Pio also received a vision of the three days of darkness? i found some online sources denying it and some confirming,though it can be difficult determining the accuracy of anything on the net.

Have we figured out where we can obtain one?

The OP got his at the National Center for Padre Pio in PA. Their giftshop isn’t set up for online ordering, and it’s not called the “Chastisement Medal” in their catalog. You might try giving them a call in person to see if they still carry it under a different name: 610-845-3000.

Wow. Thanks so very much!

Let us know if it has another name-- trying to Google “St. Bernardine of Siena” brings up a different medal. :slight_smile: I’m curious to see it, too.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.