Padre Pio

Hi everyone! I’m new to this site. I’m a retired newspaper reporter who is now working on a book on Padre Pio. A monument to the saint was built in southern NJ and is rapidly becoming a pilgrimmage site to many Catholics. I was wondering if anyone out there would like to contribute their experiences with Padre Pio to be used in the book. Yes, I’m a Catholic, and know all about Padre Pio. I’m interested in personal stories. I look forward to chatting with you. Peace and prayers, Eileen

Welcome. I haven’t had much to do with St Pio, but I believe he was an exceptional Saint. The only thing I can contribute is that you don’t have to have all sorts of mystical gifts and experiences to be a Saint. Very few will ever have the experiences that this Saint had, but they can still become Saints. There has long been a misconception that only special people can become Saints.
But in Vatcan II one of the documents called ," The universal call to holiness," addresses this issue.
Hope this helps you. Of course there are many devotees of St Pio here, and I’m sure they can tell some interesting stories. You can also search all or one of the forums for this subject. Just run the search as Pio. This could help.

[quote=John Russell Jr]Welcome. I haven’t had much to do with St Pio, but I believe he was an exceptional Saint. The only thing I can contribute is that you don’t have to have all sorts of mystical gifts and experiences to be a Saint. Very few will ever have the experiences that this Saint had, but they can still become Saints. There has long been a misconception that only special people can become Saints.
But in Vatcan II one of the documents called ," The universal call to holiness," addresses this issue.
Hope this helps you. Of course there are many devotees of St Pio here, and I’m sure they can tell some interesting stories. You can also search all or one of the forums for this subject. Just run the search as Pio. This could help.
[/quote]

Just checked and search “Padre Pio” would be more fruitful.

I have a friend who is 92 years old and has a great devotion to Padre Pio. She has a relic of his brought back from Italy by a friend. I’m sure she would love to talk to you about it. If she agrees, is it permissable to somehow put you in contact with her? How do we handle this?
Jeanne

A personal experience of Padre Pio from my husband’s Godfather, now deceased, regarding his confession as a little boy. He was born and brought up in San Giovanni Rotundo in the province of Foggia, Italy. He did something naughty one day and his mother sent him to confession…when he returned home he asked his mother, “Mama, why did you tell the priest my sin?” Of course she hadn’t since Padre Pio read his heart.

[quote=Annunciata]A personal experience of Padre Pio from my husband’s Godfather, now deceased, regarding his confession as a little boy. He was born and brought up in San Giovanni Rotundo in the province of Foggia, Italy. He did something naughty one day and his mother sent him to confession…when he returned home he asked his mother, “Mama, why did you tell the priest my sin?” Of course she hadn’t since Padre Pio read his heart.
[/quote]

Hi Ann, Its to bad all priests dont have this gift of reading hearts. You would probably find very few politicians in the communion lines. :smiley: God Bless.

[quote=SPOKENWORD]Hi Ann, Its to bad all priests dont have this gift of reading hearts. You would probably find very few politicians in the communion lines. :smiley: God Bless.
[/quote]

This is true!:smiley:
I did personally know a priest who could read hearts…he read mine…what an awesome humbling experience…he was Charismatic and also had the gift of healing… has since gone home to the Lord. Annunciata:)

I know a priest, who was stationed in the U.S. Army in Italy. He said after Mass, Padre Pio, who sight was bad, would place his hand on peoples heads and predict what they would do in Life. He told my friend that he would be a priest. My friend got back in line and again Padre Pio placed his hand on my friend’s head without looking at him. Padre Pio said, “You were just here, you will be a priest!” My friend had lived a less than saintly life before the army. He had got into some trouble as a juvenile. Eventually my friend became a priest and never forgot the good padre. My friend became a chaplain for the California Youth Authority, which houses juveniles, whom have commited serious crimes.

May Padre Pio intercede for us,
Deacon Tony SFO

[quote=Deacon Tony560]I know a priest, who was stationed in the U.S. Army in Italy. He said after Mass, Padre Pio, who sight was bad, would place his hand on peoples heads and predict what they would do in Life. He told my friend that he would be a priest. My friend got back in line and again Padre Pio placed his hand on my friend’s head without looking at him. Padre Pio said, “You were just here, you will be a priest!” My friend had lived a less than saintly life before the army. He had got into some trouble as a juvenile. Eventually my friend became a priest and never forgot the good padre. My friend became a chaplain for the California Youth Authority, which houses juveniles, whom have commited serious crimes.

May Padre Pio intercede for us,
Deacon Tony SFO
[/quote]

Very nice…thanks for sharing that. My first husbands family come from that area of Italy on his mother’s side…they shared so many stories. There was even a very saintly elderly man in my parish who at one time was a barber to Padre Pio! This man had a holiness about him that was so very special…I do believe this story is true… Annunciata:)

I have a great uncle who was a friend of Padre Pio’s…at some point apparently St. Pio visited the U.S and somehow my uncle was involved in that. I’m actually trying to learn more about this visit.

Anyway, I have a letter from that uncle, written to me when I was in college, telling me that he added me (and my brother) to Padre Pio’s spiritual family long ago. Now, my uncle was still alive when Padre Pio was canonized and he had worked long and hard for his canonization.

So! I had become a very lapsed Catholic, and recently returned 110% to the church. I was struggling with Confession, and prayed to St. Pio to help me get there. I really had to work up the courage as I was terrified of the sins I needed to confess.

So I actually took a Friday off work to be sure I would go with no other distractions. I set my clock as usual…and had to move the wake-up time ahead as usual. I did not touch the real time and the clock read the correct time when I went to sleep.

At some point I woke up, not sure why. The digital clock read 4:30 am, but it was way too bright to be 4:30, and the time disturbed me so I grabbed my watch. It was actually 5:30 am…and there was no explanation as to how my clock was set BACK.

Had I not awakened I would have missed daily mass and confession.

So anyway, I got to Mass, and tearfully and with much shaking, I got through Confession.

When I arrived home I caught the scent of flowers–and I didn’t have any flowers, no did I have any scented candles with that particular scent…I realized immediately that Padre Pio had in fact helped me get to Confession and that scent was a personal welcome back Home.

I’m not sure you can use that but just the same, I know that he intervened for me that night/day.

[quote=JCPhoenix]When I arrived home I caught the scent of flowers–and I didn’t have any flowers, no did I have any scented candles with that particular scent…I realized immediately that Padre Pio had in fact helped me get to Confession and that scent was a personal welcome back Home.

I’m not sure you can use that but just the same, I know that he intervened for me that night/day.
[/quote]

JC,
Awesome story…I too smelled the scent of roses after a very humble and difficult confession…In the back of my mind I always attributed it to “The Little Flower” or possibly St. Josemaria…but after reading your great story…,:hmmm: Padre Pio has always been in my heart in a special way … and in the hearts of my 1st husband’s family.
Annunciata:)

I’m a great fan of Saint Pio!
I don’t have a story to add, but thought since you’re from the area I’d ask you if you ever heard of the Padre Pio center in Barto, PA?
They are in the midst of some type of controversy at the moment and I wondered if you would know anything about that.
I’m from a nearby town and would like to visit the center sometime soon.
I also thought they may be of some help to you with your book.

My favorite story of amazing St Pio is when he healed the little blind girl. Her mother had brought her to Padre Pio. This girl was blind from birth and had no pupils. He healed her and she immediately gained her sight - but does not have pupils. This girl is still alive, with her vision and no pupils.

I was recently introduced to St Pio in an odd way. I was at Friday night Adoration with my small son on my lap. I was at my wits end seeking peace at Adoration from a yearlong hardship and because my son has been very ill this year.
We were saying the rosary together wispering it in each others ears, when this lady walked up behind us and handed me a prayer card of St Pio with a pin attached to it.

She looked at me and said St. Pio can help you. Pray for his help. And she turned and walked away.

About a month later, my church needed more volunteer Adorers to sign up for weekly hour time slots. I called to volunteer. Well, the lady in charge of volunteers was the one who had given me the card and pin.

She had told me of her terminally ill son who had prayed to St Pio for strength in his illness. She was at his bedside when he died and said it was the most beautiful and peaceful passing a mother could ever witness. And to say that about your son’s death! She said the prayer card she gave me came from St. Pio’s Shrine site.

When she saw us, she felt we needed St. Pio’s help.

Regarding the girl with “no pupils,” this is FALSE. She had no iris, the area surrounding the pupil.

The condition is called Aniridia:
“Aniridia is an eye disorder characterized by a complete or partial absence of the colored part of the eye (the iris). These iris abnormalities may cause the pupils to be abnormal or misshapen. Aniridia can cause reduction in the sharpness of vision (visual acuity) and increased sensitivity to light (photophobia).”

Having Aniridia doesn’t mean total blindness since there are methods of controlling the level of light entering the eye… Also, from my readings, she was never able to have complete vision without devices to control the light entering her eyes. She doesn’t have anywhere near 20/20 vision and must wear dark glasses. She is still considered legally blind. Doctors do not agree she was ever completely blind to begin with. In other words, there was no miracle…

padrepioandchiesaviva.com/Padre_Pio___Fr.html

Padre Pio’s battle against Freemasons was prosecuted by Father Luigi Villa, who stumbled on Padre Pio in a chance meeting that Padre Pio seemed to have been prepared for, telling Father Villa he was going to be the hammer fighting Freemasons. Father Villa suffered terribly for his fight, including getting his face koshed in, but Padre Pio picked the right man. Now supposedly the church dedicated to Padre Pio is heavily larded with Freemasonry symbols and styles. Padre Pio, bring Christ’s justice and mercy and send the Holy Angels to protect and guide us in Christ’s abundant life. Thanks.

May the Blessed Virgin Mary, pierced with a sword of sorrow that the thoughts of all may be revealed, expose all that is hidden and cleanse all in the fiery abyss of love that is her divine Son, Jesus Christ’s Sacred Heart. AMEN

Hi i am looking for 1st are a 2nd class relic of st padre pio for prayer and healing if anyone can help me in my search please do not hesitate to contact me I’d appreciate so much my email is stephenmcdonagh12345@gmail.com kindest regards stephen

I would love to contribute my story with Padre Pio.
I have uploaded the pdf file (30 pages) in Google Drive.
Link is here:

Link is here friends: drive.google.com/file/d/0Byaye-NSpTETZkM5eU9qTWFBNDg/view?usp=sharing

Ora pro nobis, Pater Pio!

Leslie

I posted a link to my story with Padre Pio here, yesterday.
However, I can’t seem to find the post today - or the other posts I have made.
It is 30 pages. I have uploaded it via Google Drive. The link is here:

drive.google.com/file/d/0Byaye-NSpTETOHZIMVNCSXpzMlE/view?usp=sharing

Leslie

I am attaching the pdf file of my story with our dear Padre Pio.

It seems the upload failed - the file exceeded the maximum file size. :frowning:

But here is the shareable link:

drive.google.com/file/d/0Byaye-NSpTETOHZIMVNCSXpzMlE/view?usp=sharing

Leslie

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.