Padre Pio's Standards for Clothing

What do you think of Padre Pio’s standards for clothing (no nude colored stockings, skirts and dresses at least eight inches below the knee, long sleeves, no pants for women, long pants for men)?

I would say it is possible to dress modestly without going to the degree of modesty advocated by Padre Pio. However, if one is moved to this degree of modesty, it is certainly an expression of virtue. Although I do wear pants, I take care to make sure they are not tight or revealing. I only wear shorts that are just above but usually at or below the knee, and only in a recreational setting. My skirts & dresses are between the ankle and the calf. My daughter wears younger styles, but still conforms at all times to the standards set by our diocese for our youth, even when she is not attending a youth group function. :twocents:

You know, when I first started reading this semi-autobiographical book on Padre Pio. I was freaked out! I mean the blessed saint chided a women for wearing nailpolish. I was scared to wear nailpolish for LONG time. How much more did he believe in the clothes that women wore.

But at the same time, I believe that There can be a midway between being fashionable and modest. Being in my early 20’s I always see girls who are not decent. Those you do need to pray for like Padre Pio did. But there are those who are classy at the same time while being modest. Most of the time, It is practical to wear pants, as long as they are not tight. I think the main point to women is to help there brothers, and try not to draw them into thoughts of lust by wearing too revealing clothes.

I still wear nailpolish time to time, but I stick to the clear stuff most of all.:cool:

I think it shows that we’ve come quite a long way from the traditional standards for dress.

I do love St. Padre Pio, though he could be a little harsh at times. Do you suppose he considered the fact that a woman can wear skirts long enough so that nobody’s gonna notice–or care–about the lack of stockings?

Stockings on a hot summer really bug me. And black stockings in summer? Oh: it would be more than I could deal with. Heh, I’d almost rather take the extra time in purgatory…Just kidding!
Pax Christi,
Ann

Yes, Padre Pio can say that. He can wear his nice loose habit;)

I saw a woman yesterday when it was 101 outside. She’s from Jordan. She was wearing long pants, a long sleeved blouse, a headscarf and a long COAT!!! Argh!! And her husband? He was wearing shorts and a t-shirt.

There are times when I think that some men just don’t like women:rolleyes: (Sorry Padre Pio, but I part ways with you on this).

1 Like

Padre Pio lived in another time when a persons own personal comfort was not of paramount concern. That being said, I think his dress standards are quite reasonable and correct,

Whatever “suffering” :eek: one experiences from that manner of dress could be offered up to God.

To the one poster who commented on the Jordanian couple, Padre Pio would not have approved of a man wearing shorts and T-Shirt either. He was equally strict in his views on male and female attire and conduct…

He never lived in Iowa where the combined heat and humiditity makes for a heat index of 113.

1 Like

What is modest and proper in one time and cultural setting might appear odd and attention-getting in another. One part of modesty is not drawing undue attention to oneself.

A burqa might be modest–how can it be otherwise as it covers everything from top to toe–but what Christian woman would wear one willingly?

Think about it.

1 Like

Shouldn’t people do the right thing by dressing in a modest and dignified manner even if it attracts the attention of other people?

Both long skirts and burqas attract attention, but one is a bare minimum and the other is over the top.

In 2007…not much. I wear jeans. I like jeans. I have worn jeans to mass. I like wearing pants. I don’t wear shorts…too much cellulite. If I didn’t have cellulite, I would wear shorts. I haven’t put on a pair of pantyhose in over 10 years…doubtful if anyone can make me get back in them (or opaque stockings…which went out of style right before disco). I hate my knees so wearing dresses or skirts below them doesn’t bother me…but I rarely wear a dress. Long sleeves…only in winter…once the NC heat and humidity begin…it’s short sleeves. I don’t wear sleeveless shirts not due to modesty…more like to keep the flying squirrels between my elbow and shoulder from knocking the person behind me out when I wave good-bye to the person in front of me.:smiley:

Padre Pio died in 1968. I was 16 then. Vatican II was just starting to be fully understood by the people. Fashion was still very much more on the formal side. i had to wear dresses to school, no pants were allow.We were still wearing head coverings, only dresses inside the church. Some restuarants were dresses only, no pants. if you understand that the fashion of the day was very strict for everyone, Padre Pio was a little over the norm for America but not that far and maybe not for Italy at all.
i think we could use better judgement in what we and our children wear to mass after all Jesus is present. I myself try to wear nice business dress to mass. I never wear Jeans.

Padre Pio lived in another time when a persons own personal comfort was not of paramount concern. That being said, I think his dress standards are quite reasonable and correct,

Whatever “suffering” one experiences from that manner of dress could be offered up to God.

Exactly. Today, it seems people dress down as much as possible once the temperature reaches 75. Offer it up!

He never lived in Iowa where the combined heat and humiditity makes for a heat index of 113.

Well, here in Nebraska it can be the same. I was actually at a parish event this summer (old brick church w/ no air conditioning, 90-100 degrees, not much of a breeze either) and I went in my full black suit. I actually had one older gentleman come up an complement me on the matter.

Not saying that I’m “better” than anyone else, but it is rather disedifying to see people shedding layers and acting like they are about to die when it really just isn’t that bad. Much of it is a “mind over manner” thing-if one doesn’t do all the bellyaching and complaining they find out that they can put up with it-and even be quite comfortable.

<<Shouldn’t people do the right thing by dressing in a modest and dignified manner even if it attracts the attention of other people?>>

If you draw attention to yourself by your dress, are you really practicing modesty?

I don’t think it was meant in that way. No you shouldn’t attract attention to yourself just for the sake of attracting attention to yourself. Nor should you attempt to attract attention to yourself by any undue exposition of private places - however if a woman gets a few glances for wearing a long skirt or full length dress, and doesn’t have her chest exposed then I don’t think that would be bad. It doesn’t mean that you are a “frump” to or attempting to look overly pious - just modest.

Catholig

Yes. Modesty also consists of covering ones body properly.

I wore a just below the knee length denim skirt, a loose short sleeved pink t-shirt and sandals (no hose) to church. Now according to Padre Pio I was terribly immodest. However, I still think he is wrong, wrong, wrong on this. I think I am perfectly modest. Nothing is tight, nothing is overdone and I am neat, clean and comfortable in 100 degree plus weather.

I normally wear dress pants and a nice shirt to church. When I wear dresses or skirts they are below-the-calf length.

The only time I wear long sleeves is from Nov to Feb. I don’t wear anything sleeveless out in public, though. I do wear shorts sometimes if I am just going to run some errands.

I get heat induced migraines which means that in the summer I average 2 to 3 migraines per week. As it is, three out of four Sundays I end up with a migraine after Mass because it is so hot in our church.

I agree that modesty standards change over time.

1 Like

If he had been my confessor or spiritual advisor, I would have probably followed his standards if he had directed me to.

However, I believe it is important to note that the Church has never imposed those same standards on women. And while St. Pio is obviously a saint whom we can learn much from, we also have another saint who died around the same time - St. Gianna, who died in 1962 - who wore pants, short sleeves, nylons, and dresses shorter than what St. Pio demanded. In other words, she wore the fashions of her time.

Our Catholic faith demands modesty in dress, but as the CCC states, if varies in form from one culture to another. It has also taken different forms throughout the ages. If you believe that dressing according to the standards that St. Pio advocated helps you in your spiritual life then follow them - but don’t insist that others do so.

1 Like
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.