Paedophile priest

This is worth a read.

au.news.yahoo.com/vic/a/22441399/pedophile-priests-attrocities-laid-bare/?cmp=ydn

What many (though not most) priests did is always sad to read about. Equally sad indeed is news of the Church having failed to handle the situation properly. However, since these cases, the Church has made great strides in reforming her policies to protect children from this sort of thing happening again.

I know in my own diocese every volunteer working with children must get VIRTUS certification and complete a USIS background check, for instance.

What was the logic behind moving these priests around in the first place? Why not report them to the police? Was it honestly believed that such people could be reformed?

I can see why you had to create a new thread and post such a thing.

There is no malice regarding my posting. As you can see, this came from a reputable news site. Everyone is free to comment on this news as long as no one steps beyond the boundaries.

I’d bet that if I started a new thread every time a pedophile teacher or sports coach was in the news I’d get an infraction for agenda posting.

As one newspaper reported a couple of years ago , the sex-abuse scandal in the Church is its greatest problem since the Reformation .

I was taken aback by such a remark , but on reflection I accepted its validity .

We can say “Good-bye” to evangelization for a long time since the Magisterium has lost its credibilty .

The Church is almost mortally wounded , and the problem is not going to go away for a long time .

My view is that an Ecumenical Council is the only body which can deal with the crisis and let the rest of the world see that the Church means business.

I don’t think that’s such a great idea as the intentions of the last one are yet to be accurately implemented. Give it another 50 years perhaps.

The Church needs to make a year long worldwide period of penance to start the healing processes which will take years to remedy the loss of trust and respect that Satan’s incursion into our organisation has caused.
It has done much to start the process of reparation and healing which must begin with the victims, even though its hands have been tied by its insurance companies and their lawyers who demanded that no one accept fault.
We must accept responsibility for the movement of priests, hiding their crimes and closing our eyes to a world wide evil.
This scandal has given our enemies the devil donated whip to bring the Catholic Church to its knees, and w have to start a public penance at the institutional level.
Christ will not let His church fail, but we sure make it hard for Him.

Frankly, not only do I (naturally) feel bad for the victims of these atrocities, but I’m feeling really bad to the priests that have been recently ordained or are about to in the next decade, and will have to bear this cross for atrocities they were not responsible for. I mean, they will be scrutinized endlessly with unforgiving lenses, and their priesthood is going to be the hardest there ever was in centuries… :frowning:

Although I really don’t know for sure, It seemed to me that the professional confidentiality of the Catholic confessional may have gotten into the way …
Law enforcement and non-Catholics may not appreciate the privacy of the Catholic confessional, but I can recall when it was taken very seriously and was a good incentive to avoid sin and to confess sin.

There is also a catch to the idea of revealing information obtained in the confessional and it’s that the identity of the confessor can be known or may not be known and either way, I think would be considered “hearsay” and so “inadmissible evidence”. :shrug:
In other words innocent priests may have found themselves not knowing how to handle the “dirty laundry” of their diocese other than to send it elsewhere imvho. :shrug:

The vast majority of the billion+ Roman Catholics in the world understand the truth about the scandals, know it was a small minority of priests, know that the teachings of the vast majority of the other purely innocent Catholic priests is good and still love the RCC.

rex

The Church has, and always will have, sinners in its ranks. It started that way by Peter denying Christ three times, Thomas doubting Christ, and Judas (hand picked by Christ) betrayed Him. The teaching authority of the Church still has credibility if one simply takes the time to read what Christ and His Apostles said.

Christ promised His Church would last forever:
“And so I say to you, you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church, and the gates of the netherworld shall not prevail against it.” (Mt 16:18)

Christ also said:
“Whoever listens to you listens to me. Whoever rejects you rejects me. And whoever rejects me rejects the one who sent me.” (Luke 10:16)

St. Paul called the Church:
“…the pillar and foundation of truth” (1 Tim 3:15)

Christ said there would be both good and bad in His Church:
"Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a net thrown into the sea, which collects fish of every kind. When it is full they haul it ashore and sit down to put what is good into buckets. What is bad they throw away." (Mt 13: 47-48)…also see Mt 13:24-30

But even though we are sinful, God will not abandon us"
"What if some were unfaithful? Will their infidelity nullify the fidelity of God? Of course not! God must be true, though every human being is a liar, as it is written: “That you may be justified in your words, and conquer when you are judged.” (Rom 3:3-4)

“If we are unfaithful he remains faithful, for he cannot deny himself” (2 Tim 2:13)

The Church has addressed and is continuing to address the problem. The level of credible accusations against the Church has dropped to a level virtually no other organization in the country can claim. Last year according to the Catholic League, there were only 7 credible accusations against a total of 40,000 priests (Meaning 99.99% of Priests are innocent). While that is still 7 too many, compared to virtually any other organization, that number is low, and shows the Church has made great strides in addressing the issue.

Well the gates of hell may not have prevailed against the church, but they’ve sure given it a very good rattling =/

I guess the issue with those statistics is they result from a Catholic organisation investigating the Catholic Church, which some may a problem with :shrug:

I think a good thing to do would be to make child abuse excommunicable, if it’s not already.

Catholic League did not investigate the Catholic Church, only counted the number of priests and counted the number of credible allegations brought against the Catholic clergy. Credible being define as those cases where they were not dismissed by law enforcement. Over the last 5 years average number of credible accusations is 7 for over 40,000 priests.

You should also read the studies done by the John Jay College of Criminal Justice (CUNY)…they are not a Catholic Organization. Relates to the causes of the issue.

If you want shockingly high numbers…research child abuse by public school teachers…the nation’s big secret. (I say that not to deflect blame, but rather to put in context the media attention on the Catholic Church, that does not exist for Jewish clergy, Protestant clergy, school teachers, etc.).

The Catholic Church has done a very good job cleaning up a mess.

Motive? Laziness, incompetence, dereliction of duty all covered over by a veneer of “professionalism” that was a massive fad in the ranks of the bishops starting after WWII. Every level of the church seemed to suddenly get enamored of credentials for this, certifications for that, consultants for each and every issue. Sadly, this coincided with the time frame that the Kinsey disciples were taking over the soft sciences and the advice received from “experts” was horrible (focusing on counseling and treatment for the abusers rather than protecting the children). This was by no means limited to the Church. This was the pattern throughout society in that era. Roman Polanski’s prosecution was the exception, not the norm back then.

But the church leadership should have known better. They had the eternal wisdom of revelation and Tradition to guide them and instead they trusted quacky faddish counselors and psychiatrists. Shame.

Wow :frowning:
You make it sound like the Catholic Church is/was a den of iniquity and as if child abuse were rampant in it …
whose Roman Polanski?
Did he find a horse’s head in his bed? :eek:

Your post caused me to feel naïve because I truly stated information from my own religious experience and repertoire of knowledge;
But/so I searched and found that I’m right:

bing.com/search?q=the+Catholic+confessional+is+hearsay+evidence&form=MSNH14&pc=MDMD&refig=744612b09fed41a0a98cd89b82d294cc&pq=the+catholic+confessional+is+hearsay+evidence&sc=0-27&sp=-1&qs=n&s

[quote]en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confessional_privilege

[/quote]

Anyway, I’m still inclined to believe that the Catholic clergy basically found their hands tied having to respect the confidentiality of the confessional;
And/but although I guess there could have been some accomplices among the clergy here and there, I’m still inclined to believe that innocent priests did their best to protect children by separating confessed supposedly guilty priests from them and possibly made attempts at reform of the supposedly guilty priests.

However, when the allegations against supposedly guilty priests came to light, I admittedly don’t know the details, but I believe the Catholic clergy did as they were able to cooperate with authorities;
And I’ve used the words “supposedly guilty” because I also believe the following:

rex

Perspective is required, of course. Abusers and bishops who covered it up have always been a small number, but ANY amount of that is shameful.

If you look into it just a bit, it’s sadly undeniable that in all too many cases, priests committed abuse, that abuse was reported to the diocese, the diocese removed the priest from the parish, sent him to “treatment by experts” and then assigned him to a new parish with little real oversight afterwards. Nothing to do with the seal of confession.

I grew up in that era and while I thankfully have no direct knowledge of abuse in either of my youthful parishes, I saw firsthand the way the church was lead more by bureaucratic inertia than by faith lived in vigorous action. I can’t explain what happened, but I was there and it did. It was a sort of existential crisis of catholic identity. If younger people with no personal recollection of church life in the 70’s can’t relate to what I’m saying - GREAT! :wink:

Priest abuse today is miniscule in occurrence. Priest abuse from the 50’s through the 80’s was not. Look up the John Jay report on the matter.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.