Paedophile to be beheaded and crucified in Saudi Arabia for string of sex attacks where he left toddler to die in desert

A man in Saudi Arabia is to be beheaded and crucified after he raped five children and left one of them, a three-year-old boy, to die in the desert.

An appeal court in the capital Riyadh approved the death sentence handed down in June by judges in the northwestern oasis city of Hail where the convicted 22-year-old man carried out his crimes.

The rapist - who was not named - was arrested several weeks ago as he tried to seize another boy after offering him a ride home from school.

The seven-year-old - who escaped unharmed - helped identify the culprit.

Read more: dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1225006/Saudi-Arabian-paedophile-beheaded-crucified-string-sex-attacks-including-left-toddler-die-desert.html#ixzz0VzditlLu

for once, i might agree with the punishment being carried out, i am surprised that they do the crucifixion after the beheading. although, i have no desire to see a beheaded corpse tied to beams on display.

I think that while I feel that the Saudi Arabian government is wrong for such a brutal method of execution, I have absolutely no sympathy for the to-be-executed.

Brutal. Reason 12230980 I will never travel to Saudi Arabia.

I would be curious to know if the brutality of the display actually deters anyone.

I imagine they have had this form of punishment around for a while, yet there are still people that perform these crimes.

Something isn’t connecting somewhere.:confused:

That assumes the Saudis intend such brutality to deter anyone other than one brutalized.

– Mark L. Chance.

Doesn’t surprise me. The beheading is the punishment; the display of his body won’t matter to him. But, in the medieval way of thinking, displaying the dismembered body is part of the deterrent effect for the general society.

Remember, our own Western world did much the same thing 300 years ago.

What doesn’t connect is the idea that brutal punishment actually factors into the would-be culprit’s “rational mind”. If someone in fact expected to be punished, they would not commit any crime. Either their compulsion is such that punishment is not even considered, or they think they can escape it. Execution as deterrent does not work.

Beheading is no more “brutal” than suffocating a person with lethal injection, frying their head with the electric chair, or blowing their lungs out with the firing squad, anyhow. The only difference is the visual hideosity. We want things to look good in the Western world. The Saudis couldn’t care less.

And im a country that routinely beheads people in the public square, amputates healthy hands and ankles for everybody to see, and stones women to death for sexual transgressions, I doubt that the additional ugliness of a set ot headless limbs strapped to timbers would even register.

Well, it does have the virtue of stopping repeat offenders.

I’m sure this will greatly upset the Riyadh chapter of NAMBLA.

Has the severity of the punishment ever kept people from doing the crimes these punishments are given for? The only result is that people will try their best to not get caught…
The punishments in Europe during the Middle Ages were not less severe and they actually had quite a few brutal ways to execute someone… That didn’t bring crime rates to 0 either…
In this case here they kill him first… in the Middle Ages they usually made sure that death didn’t occur too soon… That didn’t keep anybody away, but it was a spectacle for the others…

In this case, I have absolutely no sympathy. This guy is receiving the appropriate justice for his crime.

Something is not connecting with 100% of all people. If they do not have as much pedophilia, then the punishment could be connecting with some. Deterence is not prevention. It is aimed at lessening the number of offenses, not eliminating the crime altogether.

I don’t see how lethal injection is as brutal as beheading. I had to put down my cat a few years back(through injection), and the vet assured me it was totally painless.

In this case the punishment fits the crime. Usually I’m totally against capital punishment, but some crimes are so horrific that it makes sense to bring back cruel and unusual punishments.

No doubt, there’s a special place in H*** for folks who hurt or kill little children.

The big deterrent here is that THIS particular criminal will never have a second chance to commit the same crime again.

That’s when it goes the way it’s supposed to. There was a man executed here in Florida a year or two ago where the first injection didn’t work right and he slowly suffocated or something. They suspended lethal injections for a while after that.

That is assuming he committed the crimes they say he did. This is The Kingdom of Saud we are talking about here.

While obviously what that man did was horrible, I personally think Jesus would argue that no one deserves to be beheaded and crucified, even if they do something like this.

So does life without parole. In addition, a life sentence offers the criminal the opportunity and time to reflect upon the depth of his crimes, to seek reconciliation with God and to
live a life of attonement in reparation for what he has done. This man’s crimes certainly merit death, but God continuously offers life. We should conform our ways to God’s ways and allow this individual the opportunity to know God’s mercy.

Agreed.
But the legal system they have to work with is limited, as are the resources.
Keeping someone locked away forever may not be as possible as we think.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.