pagan gods

i was wondering, since many said that the ancient gods were created by demons, is it wrong to make fun of them, or think that those myths are foolish? or can we treat them like any ficticious character.

I think im being just paranoid here, and i really believe that it is the second, but somehow i felt i was obligued to ask, to be sure.

The Vatican museum houses numerous statues of these pagan gods. Many of these are not even remotely sculpted in the spirit of parody. Mythology itself is taught as both a subject and a course in several Catholic universities around the world (including the one I graduated from).

That answer your question? :wink:

Paganism is ABOLUTELY FALSE. There is ABSOLUTELY NO SUCH THING as “mutiple gods.” ABSOLUTELY 100% NOT!!! It is foolish, terrible, evil, and vile to believe in or follow anything in regard to this FALSE stuff. It is all, like you said FICTITIOUS!!! Therefore, you can make fun of it, because it DOES NOT EXIST!!!

—————————————————————————————————————————

There is absolutely only One God, our God, the One and only True God, the Father, the Son Who is Jesus, and the Holy Spirit, Three Divine Persons in the One and only God. Amen. :slight_smile:

I can’t think of any time I’ve had to deal with pagan gods at all, except in works of fiction :D. My personal take is that creating “gods” was man’s way of dealing with the “god-shaped vacuum” they felt in their lives. God had not revealed himself to them, only to his chosen people, nevertheless they knew instinctively there was something far bigger than themselves, Their way of acknowledging that something was to imagine forces or beings that they worshipped. Sometimes they unwittingly allowed demons to become the “gods” they worshipped but I don’t think all pagan gods are demonic. This is my own personal theory, but I think it has merit. I believe all people, whether they are aware of it or not, feel that there are forces much bigger than themselves.

Not completely accurate.

Baal Zebub (Hebrew בעל זבוב) occurs in 2 Kings 1:2–6 as the name of the Philistine god of Ekron.
But the angel of the Lord said to Elijah the Tishbite, Arise, go up to meet the messengers of the king of Samaria, and say unto them, [Is it] not because [there is] not a God in Israel, [that] ye go to enquire of Baal-zebub the god of Ekron?
Ba‘al Zəbûb is variously understood to mean “lord of flies”, or “lord of the (heavenly) dwelling”. Originally the name of a Philistine god,[]](“http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baal#cite_note-27”) Ba’al, meaning “Lord” in Ugaritic, was used in conjunction with a descriptive name of a specific god. Jewish scholars have interpreted the title of “Lord of Flies” as the Hebrew way of calling Ba’al a pile of dung, and comparing Ba’al followers to flies. The Septuagint renders the name as Baalzebub (βααλζεβούβ) and as Baal muian (βααλ μυιαν, “Baal of flies”), but Symmachus the Ebionite may have reflected a tradition of its offensive ancient name when he rendered it as Beelzeboul.

Beelzebub, also Beelzebul, is also identified in the New Testament as Satan, the “prince of the demons”. (Mt. 12:24, 27; Mk. 3:22; Lk. 11:15, 18f.), identified with Satan (Mt. 12:26; Mk. 3:23, 26; Lk. 11:18) , Mark 3:22; Luke 11:15 use the apposition ἄρχων τῶν δαιμονίων ‘head of the →Demons’."

Therefore Baal, also rendered Baal Zabub, variation to Beelzeboul, is Satan, who is hardly fictitious.

Where did you get this info? I love this sort of stuff, and would be interested in reading more.

I understand what you’re saying Deacon Jeff. I do remember now how, in the Gospels, it is recounted that the Jews used to refer to the devil, which I hate, despise, reject, and banish, as that “B” thing I guess in order to relate it to the evils of paganism. But, the actual mythological aspect of it in regards to the evil pagans is still fictitious.

That also is not certain. Many biblical scholars state that the reason God instructed the Israelites to utterly destroy the Canaanites when they entered the promised land is that the Canaanites were Baal and Astarte (his wife/sister, yeah I know - yuck, creepy) worshippers who engaged in sexual immorality (Num. 25: 1-3) and human sacrifice. Baal has been identified by some, interpreting ancient Hebrew culture, as Yahweh’s pricipal enemy, i.e. the devil, Satan Beelzebub, etc. Accordingly it may be fair to say that the Caanites were devil worshippers who God directed his chosen people to destroy.

There is much scholarly work on this and an internet search on Baal, Astarte, Beelzebub, Demons will bring up many places to start. One decent (although not perfect) place is here:

newworldencyclopedia.org/entry/baal#Israelite_Opposition_to_Baal

Additional helpful info is here:

newadvent.org/cathen/02175a.htm

Does God hate anyone?

That such pagan “gods” do not objectively exist does not change the fact that they DO exist in the minds and beliefs of a vast number of people. I don’t believe Blessed Teresa of Calcutta went about her work mocking or making fun of the many Hindu “gods” that existed in the minds of those she ministered to. Rather, she witnessed to the truth of Christ by loving her neighbor as herself, not mockery.

No, obviously not, and neither do I. I do NOT hate anything, except:

I hate the devil, the demons, sin, temptation, evil, and everything bad and false that goes with it. Obviously, we can hate these things, because they are evil, vile, and wrong and must be AVOIDED COMPLETELY and CANNOT BE CHANGED from their evil.

Done.

One can help people in need because they are human beings worthy of dignity and respect no matter what they believe. However, the Catholic faith is the One, True Faith of God. Everything outside of it is false. Therefore, I hate, despise, reject, and banish everything bad and false that it outside the Catholic Church.

Done.

And who, exactly, has said this? And what credentials do they have to make such a stupid statement?

So you, as well, hate any human being in hell? They, of course, could not turn away from evil just as the demons. Temptation actually makes us stronger, and is not necessarily to be hated. The demons hate Satan, and Satan the other demons.

May God Bless You

I think the person is trying to say is that just because demons are real doesn’t mean their mythological associations (e.g. having horns, red skin, pointy tails etc) are necessarily real.

Just because they pose as gods doesn’t make the facade demonic. You don’t really think Beelzebub is a giant fly do you?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.