Pagans

When a pagan refers to themselves as having a sixth sense, what exactly are they speaking of? The same as anyone with a sixth sense?

Also, what is a good definition of a pagan from a Catholic perspective?

If by that you mean extrasensory perception or psychic abilities, then yes. I don’t recall ever hearing a definition of a sixth sense by Pagans that was any different.

Also, what is a good definition of a pagan from a Catholic perspective?

I’ve seen it used here to mean anything from “someone who is irreligious/an atheist” to “someone who is neither Jewish, Christian, or Muslim”, or in reference to pre-Christian traditions (small ‘p’ pagan). As a religious identifier (capital ‘P’ Pagan), the definitions change a bit.

I 'm not speaking of someone with Christian beliefs. Can you elaborate?

Perhaps they are referring to the possession of the movie of the same name?:confused:

sixth sense is a very broad term for ESP, or extra sensory perception, this would mean acquiring information outside of the normal five senses…reading minds (telepathy), reading objects (psychomancy), visions, etc.

Sometimes people think they know things by “intuiition”. They sense it, meaning they do not come to awareness through examining evidence or rational thought. They just get a feeling about something.

Most of the time it is not intuition (whatever that is), or a sixth sense, that leads us to an awareness. We do process information without realizing it and form opinions or ideas about the character of a person, or what is going to happen tomorrow.

We might like a person or be wary of a person, because his mannerisms or accent reminds us of another person, but that is not conscious in our minds. We might feel apprehensive about a situation, because we associate it with something from our past, without consciously calling it to mind.

The human mind is quite complex. There is no such thing as a sixth sense.

Shouldn’t that be Second Sight, in a pagan context?

Second Sight is the ability to see ghosts (and other spirits). In many religious traditions (Japan’s, for one) it’s considered a dangerous mixed blessing, since spirits can tell when you can see them.

Sixth sense is a more general term for the whole family of (if I may wax pedantic) clairsentient psychic/psionic abilities, like clairvoyance, ESP, premonitions, remote viewing, psychometry, and sometimes also telepathy and empathy…one of which might be Second Sight.

You shouldn’t ask a Christian about the Koran, nor should you ask a Muslim about the Bible. I hope the message here is understood. :slight_smile:

-Karl

You better tell the Muslims, then, since at least half the Koran is commentary on the Bible.

And it’s a valid question: “What do we, O my co-religionists, mean, when we say pagan?”

Who is, or is not, a member is generally considered an important question in any religion. Especially in Christianity, Islam, and Buddhism, where everything hinges on the Church, the Dar al-Islam, and the Sangha, respectively.

The OP was asking about “sixth senses” and other things beyond my erudition. If the OP wants an answer, the OP should ask other Pagans; which other pagans did.

The term “pagan”, paganus, in the Latin, means “Country dweller”.

en.wiktionary.org/wiki/paganus

Regarding the historical viewpoint, we Catholics saw pagans as evil, satanic, on par with Satan and his flock, et cetera, et cetera, et cetera. The kind which must be met with a blade. <-- This view generally came from the Knightly duty to defend Christ, and since Christians are the body of Christ, we proudly set forth to do such. Protecting Christ, after all was a marvelous venture; and worth much merit, especially considering that the life of a soldier, and you can ask any in the armed forces, is always perilous and as Christus says,“Live by the sword and you shall die by it.”

Yet, the Clergy were always the ones to move forward with coercion; words rather than swords, it could be said. :slight_smile:

In the modern world, we set apart from the Knightly way, the Knightly deeds and placed our swords on our mantels. We sat down by our chairs and told our children,“Look! This is who we were.” And the modern child would look at it and say,“But this is the new world, we don’t need you.”

And so, the new Catholic is born. I’ll stop there, since I have nothing good to say beyond this point.

-Karl

Well, capital ‘P’ Pagan might indicate a member of any one of these religions:

Asatru
Church of All Worlds
Discordianism
Druidry
Feri
Gwyddons
Hellenismos
Kemeticism
Religio Romana
Religious Witchcraft
Senistrognata
Thelema
Wicca

Each group has their own terms for their adherents and subgroups.

I’ve seen Hindus use small ‘p’ pagan to describe themselves, but if the person in question is talking about a sixth sense, they’re most likely one of the above.

A simpler definition might be: “A religion that is neither Jewish, Christian, or Islamic and self-identifies as Pagan.”

Perhaps they are referring to the possession of the movie of the same namehttp://www.spgames.info/g.gif

I think a sixth sense, is just a ‘knowing’ isn’t it?
Some might say to ‘hear’ voices/spirits or other things but in Spiritual Churches, the sixth sense is usually spoken of as a ‘knowing’ and trusting yourself and what you are experiencing as true and real.

I would say a Pagan is a person who believes in a God and Goddess and is in tune with nature.:slight_smile:

I don’t have a clear definition of what Paganism is except the one where all religions but the Abrahamic ones is considered Pagan, but I don’t like that one. As an exemple, very seldom do I think of Buddhism as Pagan religion. Mostly when I use the word Pagan I mean religions existing in Europe, Near Middle East and some other places before Christianity became the dominant religion. But I can think of some religions as Pagan even if Christianity is a small religion in the place… as I said, no clear definition.

But when it comes to the old religions in Europe (etc) I think it is very important to be clear about the fact that the so called neopagan religions is not the same as the old religions existing centuries ago. I might call Neo-Pagans Pagans but they are not the same as the old ones.

Anyone who does not believe, as St. Paul teaches, in “One God and Father of all who is above all and through all and in all” (Eph 4:6)

Pope John Paul II addressed the importance and meaning in this general audience: The God of the Covenant.

“Pagan” refers to any religion that was in existance before the Abrahamic religions.

In the Middle Ages muslims were called “pagans”. Here are some lines from a song about the crusades from Walther von der Vogelweide:

Kristen, juden unde heiden
jehent, daz diz ir erbe sî:
got müeze ez ze rehte scheiden
durch die sîne namen drî.
Al diu werlt diu strîtet her.
Wir sîn an der rehten ger:
reht ist, daz er uns gewer.

“Heiden” == pagans

Pagan…

Origin:
1325–75; Middle English < Medieval Latin, Late Latin pāgānus worshiper of false gods, orig. civilian (i.e., not a soldier of Christ), Latin: peasant, noun use of pāgānus rural, civilian, derivative of pāgus village, rural district (akin to pangere to fix, make fast); see -an

noun

1. one of a people or community observing a polytheistic religion, as the ancient Romans and Greeks.
  2. a person who is not a Christian, Jew, or Muslim.
  3. an irreligious or hedonistic person.

adjective
4. pertaining to the worship or worshipers of any religion that is neither Christian, Jewish, nor Muslim.
5. of, pertaining to, or characteristic of pagans.
6. irreligious or hedonistic.

Pagan…

Bix,

I honestly can say that I have only met one person in my life that designated themselves as Pagan…I don’t see them at the airport in orange gowns beating drums…I don’t see them dancing around stones in the park, building bonfires at night, knocking on my door handing out leaflets, inviting me to homes for rituals…so may I ask you this…

what prompted the question concerning Pagans and the 6th sense?

Someone I’ve known for several years is a pagan. His word of choice, not mine. He is very intelligent, educated, can speak (and does) with knowledge on an array of subjects. Is very straightforward, etc. We have discussed a wide variety of things over the years. Many times, he tells much more than I ask or want to know. However, he absolutely will not discuss religion. Scratch that. He refuses to discuss his beliefs, aside from the fact he is a pagan. This person is not shy or timid about anything, anyone or any subject. He has NO filter. He is very knowledgeable about the Bible, Catholicism, Protestantism, etc. These can be discussed. His personal belief is off limits. Period. It’s quite strange considering how vocal he is regarding everything else.

I have never come across a situation like this. I’ve met Catholics, Protestants, Jewish, Mormon, Voodoo, Hoodoo, Ganesh follower, you name it. This, is just odd… For many reasons. Recently, he mentiontioned something regarding the sixth sense and an older child and said something about him having and then suddenly became very harsh for no apparent reason ( I didn’t push) and that was it.

I posted to try and understand or figure out what he believes and was talking about. . . I didn’t follow up with the post as they sometimes can be misinterpreted or akin to opening a can of worms or nonproductive.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.