Pajama Church

I was listening to the radio today an I heard something that I wanted to share with you. It is kind of disturbing, but funny in a certain way. They were advertising a new church that has recently opened up in the Akron, Ohio area. The church is so laid back that people are encouraged to wear their pajamas to mass. Then I started to picture a pastor wearing pajamas in church and at the same time trying to preach about God, this just can't be right. I know there is no way anyone should ever wear pajamas to church, but is there something in the bible against dressing really casually in church?

acatholiclife.blogspot.com/2008/06/archbishop-capalla-on-mass-dress-code.htm

catholicapologetics.info/morality/modesty/dress.htm

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_etiquette

It certainly isn't proper dress for Mass. Pyjamas are proper to bed. It is unnecessary laziness and lack of respect for God and Liturgy to wear pyjamas to Mass. It trivializes the Eucharist, and one wouldn't even go to the store or visit a neighbour in pyjamas.

[quote="Roblox84, post:1, topic:186882"]
I was listening to the radio today an I heard something that I wanted to share with you. It is kind of disturbing, but funny in a certain way. They were advertising a new church that has recently opened up in the Akron, Ohio area. The church is so laid back that people are encouraged to wear their pajamas to mass. Then I started to picture a pastor wearing pajamas in church and at the same time trying to preach about God, this just can't be right. I know there is no way anyone should ever wear pajamas to church, but is there something in the bible against dressing really casually in church?

[/quote]

What about people who do not wear pajamas? :eek: I guess they have to find a real church to go to.

Indeed. It's laziness and disrespect; one would not wear pajamas to greet a celebrity one admires, or a head of state, or for a night on the town where everyone will be looking.

Yet people think we traditionalists are nuts when we complain about little rubrics or devotions or disciplines being done away with. We know that those who are not fit to be trusted with small duties cannot be trusted with greater ones, and today's cosmopolitan modern Catholic cannot be trusted to truly hold to the Faith as they cannot even be trusted to show basic respect for the Lord in the Blessed Sacrament.

God help us all.

I’ve seen numerous churches of various denominations do this for children from time to time, but I’ve never seen it done for adults or as an every Sunday kind of thing.

[quote="Lycorth, post:4, topic:186882"]
Indeed. It's laziness and disrespect; one would not wear pajamas to greet a celebrity one admires, or a head of state, or for a night on the town where everyone will be looking.

Yet people think we traditionalists are nuts when we complain about little rubrics or devotions or disciplines being done away with. We know that those who are not fit to be trusted with small duties cannot be trusted with greater ones, and today's cosmopolitan modern Catholic cannot be trusted to truly hold to the Faith as they cannot even be trusted to show basic respect for the Lord in the Blessed Sacrament.

God help us all.

[/quote]

And none of it matters if no one is showing up. I had a hard time with my husband's church at the start. There are but two services on Sunday, and one is very traditional protestant where one is expected to be in their "Sunday-go-to-meetin'-clothes" the other is much less formal. I felt incredibly underdressed the first time I went there instead of mass. I don't have a problem with either service

My pajamas are my skivies. How would that work?:eek:

One of the major differences between tradition and the novus ordo is that in one rite people dress up for mass and in the other rite people dress down. Most N.O. priests do not have a problem with people dressing down for mass, or if they do have a problem, they do not do anything about it.

I know this is beside the point, but I'd rather see ladies in their flannels than in mini-skirts and low cut tops!

I wear clean blue jeans and a clean and pressed button up shirt to the Extraordinary Mass. I don't own a suit right now. At our TLM there are folks in $500 suits, $25 sweat suits, and everything in between.

My best friend used to wear his sandals, no socks, and clean jeans with a golf shirt. I agree we need to look presentable when attending Mass of any kind, but I don't get over hung up on the suit and tie thing much. If that's what you want wear, then cool.

[/quote]

Yes. This is true in our area also. They have Masses where people and children are supposed to wear their pajamas to Mass. This seems to be a rather serious change in Church teaching since Vatican II, where people are encouraged to wear their pajamas to Mass.

[/quote]

What kind of church is this? I somehow doubt that any Bishop would authorize such a thing in his diocese... but then, when you get to Protestant Churches, pretty much what they want is what they do. :o

I wouldn't worry about it if it's not Catholic. Seriously. They are the literal examples of a 'la carte liturgies. ;)

[quote="Looking_back, post:6, topic:186882"]
And none of it matters if no one is showing up. I had a hard time with my husband's church at the start. There are but two services on Sunday, and one is very traditional protestant where one is expected to be in their "Sunday-go-to-meetin'-clothes" the other is much less formal. I felt incredibly underdressed the first time I went there instead of mass. I don't have a problem with either service

[/quote]

It's part of why attendance is down, I think. When the holiness is downplayed and the casual communal aspect is interjected into the mix, it becomes less than special, less than desirable, less than important.

People would show up if it were treated as something important from the get-go. Maybe not in droves, but it would help.

[/quote]

Are you certain this is a Catholic Church? Sounds like a Protestant thing to me. If a new church, makes me think isn't Catholic.

[quote="dachsiemom2, post:14, topic:186882"]
Are you certain this is a Catholic Church? Sounds like a Protestant thing to me. If a new church, makes me think isn't Catholic./QUOTE

No not a catholic church at all

[/quote]

How ridiculous. This doesn’t sound like a Catholic Church to me.

[quote="Lycorth, post:13, topic:186882"]
It's part of why attendance is down, I think. When the holiness is downplayed and the casual communal aspect is interjected into the mix, it becomes less than special, less than desirable, less than important.

People would show up if it were treated as something important from the get-go. Maybe not in droves, but it would help.

[/quote]

I agree!:thumbsup:

I absolutely HATE it when people suggest that we do things like Protestants do it, or for that matter, anything unlike what we've done at 'home'

We should encourage are members (Catholic) to receive the sacrament of Confession, and we should encourage them to meet the Days of Obligation (including Sundays) ;)

We need our priest to remain unmarried and keep women from becoming priests. :)

For every one who denies these ideas: when we did these things before, freely, cheerfully, our churches were FULL. If you don't do it, the people in your seats may as well go around the corner to the Protestant Church. They have air conditioning and softer seats!
If we are just like them, what's the point of being part of our 'family'? :confused:

[quote="dachsiemom2, post:14, topic:186882"]
Are you certain this is a Catholic Church? Sounds like a Protestant thing to me. If a new church, makes me think isn't Catholic.

[/quote]

Don't know about that. I see men with suit coats and ties and women with real dresses in the Lutheran Churches that are around me.

[quote="Roblox84, post:15, topic:186882"]

Sorry, but the Catholic Church in our area is in full communion with the local bishop, cardinal and Pope Bendict.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Let's see how long THIS lasts :rotfl:

hopefully, the bishop will be retiring soon...

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.