Pajamas at Mass

Today there was an announcement made before mass. He said something like this:
We have decided that we are going to try something new that we have never done before, We ask you that when daylight savings time ends, please keep your pajamas on and where them at church…
Oh no. I didn’t think something like this would happen. How disgusting. Completely inappropriate. What does this accomplish? Nothing at all. I am not looking foward to this.

Sounds like it was meant as a kind of joke, but even so, it would have made more sense when DST starts and when we “lose” the hour a lot of people are often late. When it ends we “gain” the hour, so it’s more likely that some will be early. :shrug:

But it does make one wonder … how about the majority of people who do not actually wear pajamas? :eek:

Could that have been a joke? Like "hey, if you forget to set the clock and sleep in, just come in your pajamas so you don't miss Mass?"

Sounds like a joke or a gentle reminder to me too.

I'm sure people (well most people ;)) got the message, and will be there on time without their jammies (but not nekkid either!):D

[quote="CoolKid8900, post:1, topic:302579"]
Today there was an announcement made before mass. He said something like this:
We have decided that we are going to try something new that we have never done before, We ask you that when daylight savings time ends, please keep your pajamas on and where them at church…
Oh no. I didn’t think something like this would happen. How disgusting. Completely inappropriate. What does this accomplish? Nothing at all. I am not looking foward to this.

[/quote]

why don't you ask the priest seeing that you don't know what he meant and none of us were there to help you out:thumbsup:

Go to Mass in your regular Mass clothes. If someone asks, tell them you don't have pajamas. You sleep naked.

Also it’s November. Unless this is in a pretty warm place, there’s no way you’ll step out of your home in your pajamas at this time of the year no matter what the reason.

Seems like a joke, or a gentle way of reminding people to wear their sunday best.

I only hope it’s a joke, a reminder. If people showed up with their pyjamas I’d just cry and cry. It’s bad enough people wear them out in public.

At the school where I work, they are always proclaiming “pajama day” as a reward for something or other. I won’t take part in it. No one needs to see me in my PJs except my own household.

This!:thumbsup:

I don't know where you are located, but if such a thing happened in either the Diocese of New York (Manhattan, The Bronx, Staten Island, and Westchester County) or in the Diocese of Brooklyn, the Pastor and the priest involved would be fast tracked to being a missionary to Clam Lagoon Alaska (located in the Aleutian Islands). I am quite sure neither Cardinal Dolan or Archbishop DiMarzio would stand for that! In addition, wearing PJ's publicly in NYC is a very good way to either get mugged or arrested! It would get you a visit to the psychiatric ward of Belview Hospital.

[quote="George_Stegmeir, post:12, topic:302579"]
I don't know where you are located, but if such a thing happened in either the Diocese of New York (Manhattan, The Bronx, Staten Island, and Westchester County) or in the Diocese of Brooklyn, the Pastor and the priest involved would be fast tracked to being a missionary to Clam Lagoon Alaska (located in the Aleutian Islands). I am quite sure neither Cardinal Dolan or Archbishop DiMarzio would stand for that! In addition, wearing PJ's publicly in NYC is a very good way to either get mugged or arrested! It would get you a visit to the psychiatric ward of Belview Hospital.

[/quote]

A couple of years ago, wearing your pajamas out became the in thing for teens to do in NYC urban areas. I've even seen a couple of hipsters on the L-train doing the same thing.

So it's not crazy for NY anymore, unfortunately.

Gee, pajamas might cover up more than the short dresses, skirts, low cut blouses (or see thru ones) that some people wear. A good old fashioned sermon on modesty would be welcomed in a lot of parishes.!!

When a clueless young lady shows up in her peek-a-boo baby doll pajamas, "they" will change that plan the next week. I would try another parish for that Sunday.

It was not a joke, I wish it was.

No one thinks that it is a joke, Cool Kid. Would ask the priest if he was serious, if he said he was then he is the devils advocate, and you should talk to your Bishop. Priests are only men, not perfect, but this is not acceptable.

[quote="1_with_God, post:17, topic:302579"]
No one thinks that it is a joke, Cool Kid. Would ask the priest if he was serious, if he said he was then he is the devils advocate, and you should talk to your Bishop. Priests are only men, not perfect, but this is not acceptable.

[/quote]

I think the priest is on board with it, and the bishop was presiding today, so, no hope here. Maybe he wasn't paying attention. I am fed up with things like this.

[quote="ConstantineTG, post:7, topic:302579"]
Also it's November. Unless this is in a pretty warm place, there's no way you'll step out of your home in your pajamas at this time of the year no matter what the reason.

[/quote]

Spoken like a Canadian. :D

Around here, that wouldn't be too much of a problem.

[quote="LoyalViews, post:9, topic:302579"]
I only hope it's a joke, a reminder. If people showed up with their pyjamas I'd just cry and cry. It's bad enough people wear them out in public.

[/quote]

I wouldn't "cry and cry"...I would notice on the way in, but once I'm there I've got better things to do. I wait all week to get that time before the Blessed Sacrament and my goal is not to allow other people's choices to affect that time in any way beyond a general prayer that God would open their hearts to increase their knowledge and respect.

I see them out in public, and I think they look sloppy-but I don't lose my mind over it.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.