PAKISTAN - Islamic clerics back blasphemy laws: those who insult Mohammed have no right to live [AN]

Ten ulema and a former judge criticised a bill that would water down the existing blasphemy law. They also support the release of Mumtaz Qadri, who murdered Punjab Governor Salman Taseer, who defended Asia Bibi.

More…

Let us pray for the passing of laws that will finally rid Pakistan of unjust “blasphemy” laws. :gopray2: :signofcross:

I was reading about application of laws against blasphemy in Pakistan:

According to seminar speakers, 14 people accused of blasphemy have been hanged so far, whilst 19 more are serving life imprisonment.

It seems that if “insulting the Prophet” is an action that is punished with death, then in a debate between people who claim that the Prophet is merely human, and people who claim that the Prophet is a divine being, the second group could triumph by having the first group executed for blasphemy.

I am also wondering: what is the distinction between the sacred and the divine in Islam? If it is blasphemy to speak insultingly of sacred entities, then it seems difficult to reach the conclusion that it is blasphemy to speak insultingly of the Prophet, unless we agree that the Prophet is sacred. What guarantees that nobody will confuse the two concepts and reach the conclusion that the Prophet is divine?

:thumbsup: I wonder what is the real definition of blaspheming to Muslims in actuality. :hmmm: Let me state that I don’t mean to be disrespectful to Muslims…of whom I have good friends with for decades.

MJ

I thought that one can only blaspheme God. Mohammad is not God. So technically speaking, it doesn’t apply. But each time Muslims claim that Jesus is not God, that is blaspheming. I am sure they won’t like to be killed too.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.