Pakistan religious groups say law protecting women from abuse 'un-Islamic'

An all-parties conference convened by Pakistan’s oldest Islamic political party and attended by powerful religious groups asked the government on Tuesday to retract an “un-Islamic” law that gives unprecedented protection to female victims of violence.

The Women’s Protection Act, passed by Pakistan’s largest province of Punjab last month, gives legal protection to women from domestic, psychological and sexual violence.

It also calls for the creation of a toll-free abuse reporting hot line, women’s shelters and district-level panels to investigate reports of abuse and mandates the use of GPS bracelets to keep track of offenders.

reuters.com/article/us-pakistan-women-idUSKCN0WH1HG

It is “un-Islamic,” and thank God for it. Hopefully this is the first of many such laws that will take root in all majority-Muslim areas.

Man the 21st Century keeps cramping their style doesn’t it… :rolleyes:

Huh? Then are they admitting Islam encourages treating women like 2nd class citizens?

Well their warped version of it anyway. But I suspect it has as much to do with their particular corner of their culture than it does Islam.

No, not citizens.

Property.

A friend of mine was in Europe for an extended period of time, and attended a meeting with a very moderate imam. The question was asked “What do you think of women?”

The answer amounted to “They are only there for making babies.”

I am not sure those two issues could be separated out. They simply feed on each other.

Wow… I’m amazed by the rhetoric they use to justify their opposition to this law.

"The controversial law to protect women was promulgated to accomplish the West’s agenda to destroy the family system in Pakistan…

Well, yeah, destroy your family structure of male dominance, pagan patriarchy, and abuse.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.