Pakistani court affirms Christian woman's death sentence for blasphemy [CC]

An appeals court in Pakistan has upheld the conviction of Asia Bibi, the young Christian woman sentenced to death on blasphemy charges. After repeatedly postponing hearings in the case, …

More…

Religion of Peace, huh…

Not every Muslim is an extremist, in the same way that not every Christian is a fundamentalist, so could we please not make this about how evil or bad you think Islam is? Be nice. Even Muslims are fighting battles you know nothing about.

Maybe the situation in Pakistan is a bit different, atleast in the view of Indians…:smiley:

Anyway, the news is distressing.

What are those battles in Pakistan, please?

This is not an individual muslim - it is a court, and a society. It is a vile, disgusting decision by the nation’s legal system.

This is my thought. The courts are there to uphold the laws of the country which presumably reflect the values of the society.

read this. Your fears are true.

It is estimated that 95% of Pakistanis are Muslims (75% Sunni, 50% Shia and 2.2% Ahmadi who are not permitted to call themselves Muslims)

That would make Pakistan a hyper-Muslim country, with 125 % of the people Muslim, even if Ahmadi are not counted into those figures.

:rotfl:

…that’s what I don’t understand about some polls. I’ve seen it before -you add the numbers and it’s more than 100%.

I read about predatory loans once too, with 150% interest rates. :shrug:

Pew Research (2007): 26% of younger Muslims in America believe suicide bombings are justified.
35% of young Muslims in Britain believe suicide bombings are justified (24% overall).
42% of young Muslims in France believe suicide bombings are justified (35% overall).
22% of young Muslims in Germany believe suicide bombings are justified.(13% overall).
29% of young Muslims in Spain believe suicide bombings are justified.(25% overall).
pewresearch.org/assets/pdf/muslim-americans.pdf#page=60

…0.00% of young Christians believe suicide bombings are justified. Hmmm… So how are Christian fundamentalists and Islamic extremists similar again…? :confused:

OK, so where is the outrage from the Muslim community?

Surely all of these non-extremist Muslims could find a voice and express disdain for this atrocity being committed in the name of their religion.

These laws are on the books, because that is what sharia is all about. It is not extremist Islam or moderate Islam, but just Islam. It is the same kind of Islam that tries to put blasphemy laws through the UN.

This is regular Islam, which has it own sacred penal code, and blasphemy is a part of it, with death deemed to be the just punishment for blasphemers.

Yes ,“it’s only a few bad eggs.”
If i had a chicken that laid that many “Bad eggs” I’ll be getting myself another chicken.

This is not about a Muslim, is it?

This is about a country that is using a “religious law”, an islamic religious law, a law that makes it a death penalty to have an opinion other than an opinion imposed by those in power, to put to death a real person, this is NOT some theoretical situation but is real life, isn’t it?

And it is about “power”.

I say this since “blasphemy”, as far as I know, is about words said, so if I am wrong concerning this, correct me.

This is absolutely disgusting and anyone trying to “downplay” this with “political and/or religious” correctness should realize that, as I said, this is reality.

What is interesting about this comment is it’s on a thread where Christians are victims, but even so Islam is defended without any comment about execution of Christians.

Not every Muslim is an extremist, in the same way that not every Christian is a fundamentalist, so could we please not make this about how evil or bad you think Islam is? Be nice. Even Muslims are fighting battles you know nothing about.

I wonder if that would be the first reaction if the story read “gay Pakistani faces execution for sexual preference”…

:thumbsup: Your bold is what this discussion should be about.

this is no laughing matter, 1newcatholic. This is the sentencing to death of an INNOCENT WOMAN for comments she probably did not make. No right to plea her innocence. No right to a FAIR TRIAL. Just sentenced to death for hearsay.

Please God…please free this woman as you did your daughter Meriam.

LOL! Thanks I needed a giggle right now.:smiley:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.