Pakistani court: death is only punishment for blasphemy [CWN]

The Federal Shariat Court of Pakistan has ruled that death is the only punishment for blasphemy and ordered the removal of an option for life imprisonment that had been permitted under …

More…

As expected.

Within a few decades, I doubt there’ll be anyone except the followers of these “courts” living in Pakistan. If you look up “failed state” in a dictionary, you’ll find a picture of our neighbours there. :smiley:

Where would the others go? :shrug: I doubt India or China would let them all in.

Afghanistan has its own issues as well.

Highly educated ones would find any number of countries eager to let them in, including Iran for educated Pakistani Shiites. If there are any Hindus left in Pakistan I assume India would take them (unless Indian laws don’t allow such religious selectivity). The rest could join the ranks of foreign workers in many parts of the Middle East or apply for refugee status in Western countries.

And, of course, there is always death and coerced conversion.

Exactly.

If there are any Hindus left in Pakistan I assume India would take them (unless Indian laws don’t allow such religious selectivity).

There aren’t many, but this will definitely take place if this goes on. Indian laws would be fairly liberal in such a case.

The rest could join the ranks of foreign workers in many parts of the Middle East or apply for refugee status in Western countries.

As is already happening to some of them.

And, of course, there is always death and coerced conversion.

I didn’t want to put it that bluntly, but you’ve hit the nail on the head.

Great post.

This is one reason why I have a strong dislike for hardcore Islam (not Muslims but Islam itself). These so-called blasphemy laws are merely a way to punish anyone who speaks out, even mildly, against Islam or their so-called “prophet”. :frowning:

Amen to that.

While I’m distressed by “progressive Catholics”, progressive (or moderate) Muslims are some of the nicest folks I’ve met. :slight_smile:

More to the point, this type of policy is aimed at consolidation of power. Good Muslims will also die for the blasphemy of disagreement with whatever radical leader is in power. I would bet the farm on it.

I agree with you Pnewton.

Also, it may be rather obvious but it seems to me like this unjust law will be a severe attack on religious freedom. Religious freedom is bad enough in Pakistan as it is without this.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.