Palin lashes out at 'Family Guy'

An appropriate response to a cartoon that denigrates the family in general. The ongoing episodes represent a celebration of the dysfunctional, the tasteless and perverse sexuality.

news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100217/ap_on_en_tv/us_palin_family_guy

I recommend all Catholics avoid this program. It is one of the current lows in American culture.

Peace,
Ed

I recommend all Catholics avoid this program. It is one of the current lows in American culture.

Can’t agree with you enough. Exactly how this astonishingly unfunny ‘cartoon’ ever got to be so popular is beyond me. Family Guy along with Seth Mcfarlane’s other shows are bland, obnoxious, and an insult to the animation community.

And all that’s in addition to everything edwest already mentioned. :wink:

Ms. Palin is the epitome of grace under fire. I simply cannot believe what she and her family have endured since she came onto the scene as McCain’s VP pick.

She has responded to insults and allegations the likes of which I have never seen unleashed on anyone and has always addressed them with class. When she speaks of the love of her family and in particular her baby son, one can hear her warmth and sincerity.

She promised the disabled community to be an advocate and when she speaks out on Down’s Syndrome, she is keeping her promise. I am disabled and would love to see her obtain either a prominent pro-life position or become the leader of a disability advocacy group. I know she could shed positive light on either subject and speak from her voice of experience.

Family guy is such a stupid cartoon, the best way to handle it is to just not watch it and ignore it. no ratings = no more family guy :D

"Family Guy" actress, who really does have Downs Syndrome, response to Palin's lashing out.

artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/02/18/family-guy-voice-actor-says-palin-does-not-have-a-sense-of-humor/?src=twr

(Andrea's full statement is as follows)

My name is Andrea Fay Friedman. I was born with Down syndrome. I played the role of Ellen on the "Extra Large Medium" episode of Family Guy that was broadcast on Valentine's day. Although they gave me red hair on the show, I am really a blonde. I also wore a red wig for my role in " Smudge" but I was a blonde in "Life Goes On". I guess former Governor Palin does not have a sense of humor. I thought the line "I am the daughter of the former governor of Alaska" was very funny. I think the word is "sarcasm".

In my family we think laughing is good. My parents raised me to have a sense of humor and to live a normal life. My mother did not carry me around under her arm like a loaf of French bread the way former Governor Palin carries her son Trig around looking for sympathy and votes.

Yeah how dare a mother carry around her own baby in public. :rolleyes:

[quote="Marie5890, post:5, topic:187287"]
"Family Guy" actress, who really does have Downs Syndrome, response to Palin's lashing out.

artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/02/18/family-guy-voice-actor-says-palin-does-not-have-a-sense-of-humor/?src=twr

(Andrea's full statement is as follows)

My name is Andrea Fay Friedman. I was born with Down syndrome. I played the role of Ellen on the "Extra Large Medium" episode of Family Guy that was broadcast on Valentine's day. Although they gave me red hair on the show, I am really a blonde. I also wore a red wig for my role in " Smudge" but I was a blonde in "Life Goes On". I guess former Governor Palin does not have a sense of humor. I thought the line "I am the daughter of the former governor of Alaska" was very funny. I think the word is "sarcasm".

In my family we think laughing is good. My parents raised me to have a sense of humor and to live a normal life. My mother did not carry me around under her arm like a loaf of French bread the way former Governor Palin carries her son Trig around looking for sympathy and votes.

[/quote]

Family Guy creators are pathetic, hiding behind a human shield.....

Also the fact that this actress wrote this,

My mother did not carry me around under her arm like a loaf of French bread the way former Governor Palin carries her son Trig around looking for sympathy and votes.

:mad:

If she wrote that, that's sad. makes me question the credibility of such a response...because that line was borrowed from a Joy Behar comment, so I wonder if she was fed some lines.
It's sick. NYTimes, this is just an attempt to exploit the goading and baiting of Sarah Palin in the public forum,
It's a sad world when a mother defending her youngest child is seen as a sign of weakness and a moment to "cast" her in a bad light.

Also the whole premise of this actress with Down Syndrome is false and wrong. It's no different than offended someone with all disrespect and then when that cruel person (the FG makers) are taken aback they're at a loss of words...because they were guilty, rather than apologize, they huff and puff "hey, can't you take a joke??"
I also think the whole "my family taught me to laugh" is disingenuous.
The "my mother is former Governor of Alaska" isn't a humorous joke. It's just a snide remark stemming from that writers table "hey guys the elephant in the room is Down Syndrome" " Palin and her kid, becomes a Punchline in the third act. Let's hop to it"

This is just obfuscation, denial, sending out the actress they called in to read lines, to be used as "hey she has downs, so it's not offensive! " the fact that they're not sorry, and they're trying to bait her some more with this "letter to the NYTimes to print" is pathetic.
It's no different than a jewish person like Sasha Baron Cohen using Borat or show makers calling in the 'black guy' to insulate themselves from making racial/ethnic slurs..

Seth MacFarlane and his ilk are vile. Politics is the be-all-end all for those type of people.

Anyway, the media is stupid. "Lashes out", when the reality is: *Family Guy Crosses Line With Petty Cheap Joke: An episode of family guy writes a whole episode around a one-liner "joke" which references two year old son for having Down Syndrome for no reason other than to get a rise out of a politician they disagree with politically. After possibly feeling guilty about the debacle, two days later they ask the actress with Downs who was asked to read lines in an episode that wasn't funny but was lame, to validate their coarse behavior " *

If there was innocuous humor in the episode, playing the "overreacting " card might have merit. But it didn't have any humor:
Stewie's Song:

And though her pretty face may seem a special person's wettest dream. ...]

You must impress that ultra-boomin', all consumin', poorly-groomin', Down Syndrome girl. ...]

You want to take that little wh*** and spin her on the dancing floor. ...]

My boy between the two of us we'll get her on the shorty bus and then you're gonna take it on a whirl.

The whole episode was offensive filler centered around a jab at Sarah Palin and her kid.

Indeed.

The courage to have a sense of humor is always appreciated. Thanks for posting this refreshing message that reminds us that not all disabled people have to accept the victim mindset.

I agree. I didn’t get the sense that Andrea sees herself as a victim, wants people to view her as a victim, or sees herself as some how “less than” simply because she happens to have Downs.

As someone who also “happens” to have a so-called “disability” (been a paraplegic most of my life), I loved and appreciated the fact that Andrea has a sense of who she is as her own person, doesnt define who she is by what she has to deal with etc.

I applaud her parents for giving her the tools she is capable of using in her life within the limits she has to deal with…

:thumbsup:

Sarah Palin is new to the “dealing with disabilities” gig at this point (well at least compared to Andrea’s 39 years and my almost 40 years). As time goes by I have no doubt she and Todd will help Trig develop the skills, within his abilities, to be the most he can be.

And that includes a healthy sense of humor, self-esteem, and confidence. Even in the face of ignorance. There still is a lot of ignorance when it comes to dealing with people “who happen to have” some sort of medical condition…

RIght now I expect they see Trig as having “special needs” and “needs to be treated differently”…As time goes by they will realize he is Trig, who just happens to have Downs…and adjust accordingly

And there IS a difference. It’s all in the attitude. Andrea has the right attitude… :thumbsup:

But that takes time, and experience. Trig I believe is only 2 y/o??? :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.