Palm and tarot reading

Hey everyone,
So before I re-joined the Catholic church I “dabbled” in Tarot and palm reading, not me “reading” these things but rather getting myself read.
The last time I visited a tarot card reader I got this strange vibe as soon as I walked into the room, and I noticed a curious smell, I can’t put my finger on what it was but it was not good and it made me uncomfortable. I noticed that the tarot card reader had long, yellow finger nails. He did my reading and I was increasingly uncomfortable, including with some of the things he told me (he seemed to know me. This is a gimmick I know, but there was just something not right about the situation). He tape recorded it for me, but I destroyed the tape shortly afterwards.
What he also predicted was the my husband wouldn’t get a job that he interviewed for (he didn’t) that I would have a tough time getting pregnant (I have) and I would only have one child because getting pregnant a second time would be next to impossible. I feel like Satan might have been working through him, and I don’t want to believe what he was saying especially now, but in the back of my head I can’t help thinking about what he has said sometimes especially since everything else has come to pass. I don’t know how to move on from this reading, it always seems to haunt me and I know this might be punishment for doing it in the first place I just feel like I shouldn’t be constantly worrying and thinking of what this person said. Has anyone else had a similar situation? I now have out my fertility into God’s hand and pray everyday but there’s still that memory of the tarot card readers predictions. Ugh. It’s definitely been a learning experience.

Hi,

The Church teaches that we are to avoid all forms of divination, including palm and tarot reading. Both are somewhat complex subjects which I’ve studied and do involve a number of tricks as well being spiritually wrong. Just pray to God for guidance and try not to worry.

God bless,
Ed

Stay away from the occult. Most of the time it seems like harmless fun but the principles behind the occult are any thing but harmless.

Ok first off i would believe him see fortunetellers have spirits of divination worjing through them i used to read tea leaves cards and palms when i read someone i could erriely know too much about them. If your concerned get deliverance prayed over you and dont go back to fortunetellers also confess this and renounce it prayers with you

Great answer.
Leave it all to God.

Besides these individuals say they can predict the future but if they could, why don’t they win the lottery everytime.

I read my 3-year-old nephew’s palm. I was able to correctly predict he would get in trouble for leaving peanut-butter-and-jammy handprints on the new wallpaper.

Lol I was expecting something totally different. The peanut butter was ood.

Hi! This stuff is to be brought up with a priest. He might give you the blessing of ‘The Healing of Memories’. Try not to worry in the meantime. The devil is the master deceiver and father of lies. He wants you to worry in fear. Just pray to Our Lady and stay away from all of that rubbish forever - don’t give it another thought. Don’t look it up either. People who do it and practice it and write about it don’t know what they are dabbling with and will regret it eventually. Also, go to Mass lots as time in front of the Blessed Sacrament will help. (You have obviously confessed this so I won’t ask).

Love and peace to you, in Christ.

Ave Maria!

God bless. :slight_smile:

I don’t think the OP dabbles in palm and tarot reading anymore…I think what she is saying is that before she became Catholic or reverted to Catholicism she visited a tarot reader. She has been absolved through the Sacrament of Penance but she can’t get out of her mind what the palm reader said because it seems to be coming true.

I have had the exact same thing happen to me. In fact, I am convinced it was a demon who did my palm reading-I saw him a couple of times after that in random places (even though I didn’t know him)–and he was always staring at me whenever I saw him.

Now as you know, we all have to deal with the effects of our sins even if we are absolved. So just remember God holds your life in His hands and whatever He wills, He can make good come out of it. He has plans to prosper you, not to harm you. So trust in Him.

Hi. Well, if that is the case, then definitely a special blessing from a priest. I would suggest that one can be ‘oppressed’ by evil, in the state of ‘oppression’, and there is a blessing which can be sought. May God keep you safe and bring you peace.

God bless.

Ellam, it is one of these

A self fullfilling prophecy
Miraculous coincidence
Forer effect
Placebo effect

In my years away from the Church, I also “dabbled” in such things – well, more than dabbled at times.

My heart goes out to you for your memories of this event and the struggles it is currently causing you. You wonder if this is punishment for your sin… Well, it’s probably yes AND no. God doesn’t need to send you these feelings as punishment. But they are a direct result of your sin, and without miraculous grace, the memories will remain and may continue to cause you pain.

I also suffer from the sins of my past – in my heart, in my home, in my body… These are not punishments sent by God. They are the lingering effects of sin. But these struggles can be offered to God in faith and for good of souls!

As other posters have suggested, speak with a priest about your experiences and concerns.

And when you have these feelings, make an act of faith and pray for someone else – maybe those who still rely on spiritualists (tarot readers and the like), maybe those who do the readings, maybe couples suffering from infertility… That way your struggles and your faith in Christ will have an eternal benefit!

You will be in my prayers. :hug3:

Gertie

I myself don,t believe in them,for only God knows that your destiny,so to go too them readings, is a waste of time.

I am not a Traditional Catholic myself but I can help you.

Let me rephrase that only Jesus can help you but ill point you in the right direction.

First off probably definitely yes Satan was working through the Medium.

Two until you renounce your readings and rebuke the sin and the demons attached to these sins your probably going to have a bit of Residue from it or guilt.

Go to Confession if you haven’t already.

Don’t worry about the future or the past just the now.

Read these prayers and say a prayer from the heart free style to Jesus.

catholicwarriors.com/pages/warfare_prayers.htm

YOU again?? :rotfl::rotfl:

I’ll chime in here and say it is extremely important that you do not leave yourself open to these influences anymore. Confession is an absolute must! The fact that you are still uncomfortable with the memories of this experience should be a caution for you. If I were in your situation, I would visit the Blessed Sacrament as often as possible. Eucharistic Adoration and Benediction would be a huge antidote and I would increase my prayer life as much as I am able. I would also meditate on the Divine Providence of God and His infinite power.

Divination is one of satan’s most successful methods of undermining our faith in God. In it’s many forms it continuously attacks us in “innocent” entertainment like the palm reading and tarot cards mentioned. Without realising it a lot of folks dabble in the occult every day by reading horoscopes and excusing it as innocent fun or “just for a laugh” - exactly what satan wants!
These practices must be combatted by total faith in God for everything. By regularly receiving the sacraments and maintaining a permanent state of Grace you protect yourself against these attacks by the devil. Reciting the Lord’s Prayer is the greatest prayer for delivery and protection from evil Amen

I just wanted to say that it would be more helpful if we didn’t try to make these stories so spooky. Making these stories more realistic is of more benefit to us all. If we try to make occultists out to be creepy people, then when someone meets a very ordinary looking occultist, they’ll feel FAR more comfortable getting involved.

I’ve been involved in the occult. I’m known many people who were involved in the occult. We don’t all look weird or have weird smelling places of business. In fact, when I was an occultist, I felt very offput by who I thought was a Protestant evangelist, only to find out they were a Satanist activist. The woman in question wore blue jeans, a plaid shirt, her hair tied back in a pony tail, and coke bottle glasses. She was very thin and neat. She was in the middle of a “Pagan Pride Day,” looking like she was from WBC. :stuck_out_tongue:

Looking at things in a more practical, realistic manner…the tarot reader probably had nail fungus or their nails were discolored by everyday activities. I will admit that I have met quite a few occultists with poor grooming habits, or they are happy enough with how they look that they don’t realize or care what others think. The strange smell could have been something they burned, like incense. Could have been a dead rodent or other animals that they did not remove from the home. Could have been a mixture of outside/inside smells mingling together.

Inappropriate subject for a forum on Catholic tradition and customs.

CLOSED

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.