Palm Sunday Procession

Our parish does a Palm Sunday procession. We just go around the block and into the Church. I don’t really like it because we are supposed to sing and it wrecks my voice for the rest of Mass (I’m in the choir).

Anyone else out there whose parish does this?

You know, I have no idea what my church does because I wasn’t attending regularly last year at all…now I’m not sure what I should be doing on Palm Sunday…what is the normal routine?

My church has just repainted its interior, we have not been in the church since Epiphany, so our Pastor is going to have process into the church on Palm Sunday. I have seen how the church looks, it will indeed be a triumphal entry this Sunday, Hosanna in excelsis!

Sounds like fun. Why don’t you just hum :slight_smile:

We do have a procession…usually lead by the children of our parish. Too often we have gotten away from the richness of the traditions of our church. This is one of them. As far as losing your voice, just change the volume and sing less forcefully. Where there is a will there is a way!

We go down to the basement and get our palms, then process up into the church, singing (and since it can last a rather long time, the idea of singing softly, at least part of the time, or humming, is rather a good idea!) Even when Easter is in late April it’s usually either raining or snowing in VT. . .scarves around the throat aren’t just fashion statements!

At our parish, palms are blessed in the parking lot and the congregation processes about half a block into the church. If the weather is really bad, they will process through the school halls instad. Participation is optional.

Fortunately for my parish, our Priest has brought back many of the old traditions, and yes, we will have a procession into the church.

This is my favorite time of the liturgical season and look forward to Palm Sunday, Holy Week (the Triduum) and Easter Sunday !!!

Peace of Christ to All

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.